Gobias

The Best Multiplayer

In this thread I will detail the details of what I think would make the 'perfect' game. Some of those details are simply my own preferences, but others are features and mechanics that I have meticulously tweaked (mentally, hypothetically, of course) to achieve the perfect balance of... everything. Feel free to post what would make the perfect game for you, or add on to mine if you wish. Please, no arguments about what kind of game is better (i.e. first-person vs third-person; open world vs arena shooter). Happy foruming! (I'll update this thread more and more as I have more time to do so.)

The lovechild of Quake, Unreal Tournament 2004 and Halo. I have got no idea how it will work but I think it will be amazing. Halo with Quake/Unreal's pace. Beautiful.

A true sequel to Quake III: Arena using the full potential of 2013 technology.

The great thing about Quake is that you can run it on tech that's a decade old. I'm not sure what the benefits of putting it on 2013 tech would be (besides boosted FPS); maybe that's just me--I always play on the lowest settings to boost performance.

The lovechild of Quake, Unreal Tournament 2004 and Halo. I have got no idea how it will work but I think it will be amazing. Halo with Quake/Unreal's pace. Beautiful.

I haven't played UT yet, but if it's anything like Quake, I'm sure it would be a great game to emulate. The are some things I like about Quake and some that I don't. The same goes for Halo; it has some problems. The trick is to mesh them into a perfectly seasoned digital soup that people will want to play. That's my goal, anyway.

The great thing about Quake is that you can run it on tech that's a decade old. I'm not sure what the benefits of putting it on 2013 tech would be (besides boosted FPS); maybe that's just me--I always play on the lowest settings to boost performance.

So it will gain popularity as much as all the other latest FPS titles. Having it play on any computer is great, but little to no newcomers are interested, making the population decrease drastically each year. Quake Live is fantastic and did get many of the "veterans" back into the series, but that's all it did. I would like Quake to be king again and if the competitive FPS community finds CS the best alternative, then a new Quake will dominate the scene.

So it will gain popularity as much as all the other latest FPS titles. Having it play on any computer is great, but little to no newcomers are interested, making the population decrease drastically each year. Quake Live is fantastic and did get many of the "veterans" back into the series, but that's all it did. I would like Quake to be king again and if the competitive FPS community finds CS the best alternative, then a new Quake will dominate the scene.

I see what you're saying; putting it on new tech / making it look better would attract new people, but it wouldn't compel them to stay around. There are many reasons why Quake is so good, but those reasons also account for why it has such a low population. These reasons are mainly the lack of aim assist, no incentive to keep playing if you're not good, and 'old' game-play. These factors make it ultra-competitive, and there's nothing wrong with that... but there are ways to make a game very competitive with a higher population. That is why I'm dreaming of a new game with new opportunities and no obligation to stay with the same concept of the rest of a series. It's time to innovate--and by that I mean introduce and improve, not throw in a flashy pile of junk and call it groundbreaking rather than gamebreaking.

I'm narrowing the topic of "The Perfect Game" to something much more specific and controllable: Multiplayer.

I see what you're saying; putting it on new tech / making it look better would attract new people, but it wouldn't compel them to stay around. There are many reasons why Quake is so good, but those reasons also account for why it has such a low population. These reasons are mainly the lack of aim assist, no incentive to keep playing if you're not good, and 'old' game-play. These factors make it ultra-competitive, and there's nothing wrong with that... but there are ways to make a game very competitive with a higher population. That is why I'm dreaming of a new game with new opportunities and no obligation to stay with the same concept of the rest of a series. It's time to innovate--and by that I mean introduce and improve, not throw in a flashy pile of junk and call it groundbreaking rather than gamebreaking.

I don't really understand what you mean? I'm not talking about an HD remake, I'm talking about a full fledged sequel to Quake III: Arena with the latest technology, which of course would introduce new things.

I don't really understand what you mean? I'm not talking about an HD remake, I'm talking about a full fledged sequel to Quake III: Arena with the latest technology, which of course would introduce new things.

I'm not sure I know what you mean either... What new things could be introduced that attract a huge player-base but don't sully the core gameplay mechanics?

Uhh... Halo CE was essentially "console quake" for lack of a better term.

Minus the depth from quick movement speed and circle strafing, the basics gameplay is there. Power weapons on fast timers that require effort to obtain. Established map/game control through weapons while preventing your opponent from getting them.

When you try to combine too many elements from various games that are already okay as they are in their own form, you get game like Halo 4 that leaves you feeling like you're playing many games.

Uhh... Halo CE was essentially "console quake" for lack of a better term.

Minus the depth from quick movement speed and circle strafing, the basics gameplay is there. Power weapons on fast timers that require effort to obtain. Established map/game control through weapons while preventing your opponent from getting them.

When you try to combine too many elements from various games that are already okay as they are in their own form, you get game like Halo 4 that leaves you feeling like you're playing many games.

True, there are some elements that should be left alone, but it's possible to sculpt a game that feels like its own without compromising any of the things that make a game what I call C.L.A.S.S.I.C.: Competition, Lethality, Accessibility, Skillfulness, Similitude, Interest, and Coagulation. Competition comes with balance and the desire to win; Lethality of weapons and tactics makes the player feel empowered (one of Jason Jones's rules--he cocreated Halo); Accessibility makes it easy for player to get into the game and play it a lot; Skillfulness creates a skill gap, which is good for Competition as well as a reward for playing for longer and playing better; Similitude makes it similar to something else--it could be the concept of arena or space warriors, what have you, to make the game familiar; Interest keeps the player... interested and playing for longer; Coagulation ensures that all of the elements of a game fit together nicely.

Halo CE is similar to Quake in some regards, but both have their own flaws. Halo can be stagnant and slow-paced; Quake can place too much emphasis on power weapon control, removing skill from even minutely unbalanced scenarios. I agree, they operate on some of the same concepts. Thanks for reading, #WallOfText

True, there are some elements that should be left alone, but it's possible to sculpt a game that feels like its own without compromising any of the things that make a game what I call C.L.A.S.S.I.C.: Competition, Lethality, Accessibility, Skillfulness, Similitude, Interest, and Coagulation. Competition comes with balance and the desire to win; Lethality of weapons and tactics makes the player feel empowered (one of Jason Jones's rules--he cocreated Halo); Accessibility makes it easy for player to get into the game and play it a lot; Skillfulness creates a skill gap, which is good for Competition as well as a reward for playing for longer and playing better; Similitude makes it similar to something else--it could be the concept of arena or space warriors, what have you, to make the game familiar; Interest keeps the player... interested and playing for longer; Coagulation ensures that all of the elements of a game fit together nicely.

Halo CE is similar to Quake in some regards, but both have their own flaws. Halo can be stagnant and slow-paced; Quake can place too much emphasis on power weapon control, removing skill from even minutely unbalanced scenarios. I agree, they operate on some of the same concepts. Thanks for reading, #WallOfText

That was a good read for sure. I agree completely too.

Shadowrun was a highly competitive game that did a good job in regard to your C.L.A.S.S.I.C standards, except really for the accessibility. I find accessibility being the main reason why games get developed a certain way.

I feel games now are dumbed down and has mechanics implemented that force players into an equal playing field. I can just rant and base things of Halo CE, but people are starting to think I'm a broken record. People often also confuse over powered with the word powerful, and I feel like devs try to eliminate anything too powerful.

That was a good read for sure. I agree completely too.

Shadowrun was a highly competitive game that did a good job in regard to your C.L.A.S.S.I.C standards, except really for the accessibility. I find accessibility being the main reason why games get developed a certain way.

I feel games now are dumbed down and has mechanics implemented that force players into an equal playing field. I can just rant and base things of Halo CE, but people are starting to think I'm a broken record. People often also confuse over powered with the word powerful, and I feel like devs try to eliminate anything too powerful.

...Or try to compensate and making everything powerful to where there's no distinction. I agree, games these days have become a little too mainstream in order to attract large amounts of people. That's where Accessibility gets in the way of Skillfulness and can generally degrade your game if there's not a balance. Thanks for the feedback, btw. Time to play some InstaGiB on Quake!

I'm not sure I know what you mean either... What new things could be introduced that attract a huge player-base but don't sully the core gameplay mechanics?

I don't know. Counter Strike has been sticking with the same formula for years with no problem.

I don't know. Counter Strike has been sticking with the same formula for years with no problem.

Yeah, that's why I'm dreaming of a new game. I'm in the process of analyzing what makes competitive game work, how to apply that in a new format, and what to add on the way to keep it fresh and interesting. I already have a few (dozen) ideas.

Yeah, that's why I'm dreaming of a new game. I'm in the process of analyzing what makes competitive game work, how to apply that in a new format, and what to add on the way to keep it fresh and interesting. I already have a few (dozen) ideas.

I say just do this,

1. Use the full potential of the latest technology so the game looks pretty, because we all know a "low graphic" FPS can hardly compete nowadays.

2. Just name it "Quake" because the newcomers may pass it up if it's called "Quake 5". EA is doing the same with Star Wars: Battlefront.

3. Hire a new marketing team. Shit, hire the guys from Microsoft to do it. The Halo marketing and trailers are the best out there.

4. Add a ton of customization options for armor and throw in weapon skins, why not? People eat that shit up now. Just not weapon additions.

5. Throw a decent campaign in there. Battlefield and CoD have proved the campaign quality doesn't affect sales as long as there's are "kool and xplosive" cutscenes. Just keep the core gameplay the same (most have never played a game like Quake so they'll probably think it's all new).

6. Add a few more weapons and of course all new maps, along with a few remakes.

7. Bam. We got a new Quake in our hands. Ship it.

2. Just name it "Quake" because the newcomers may pass it up if it's called "Quake 5". EA is doing the same with Star Wars: Battlefront.

Call it Quake :(insert vague, but cool word). Naming games the same has always just been annoying when trying to find original content, and causes further disambiguation issues. I absolutely hate this naming trend (yeah, its a trend. NFS had a go at it with poor success because they dared mess with nostalgia) , and the only reason EA is doing it is because DICE didn't want to be associated with SWBF 1 and 2, and because adding anything after Battlefront would make the title too long.

I think it's about time I go over some game play mechanics in this thread. A popular element in first-person shooters these days is Aim Down Sights, or ADS. The main problem I have with ADS is that it benefits greatly for a simple touch of a button. It doesn't benefit game play whatsoever; rather, it promotes campy, one-sided engagements. ADS removes a lot of skill from games in my opinion, but players like it and it serves its purpose. I prefer the zoom system of Halo. It doesn't give you too much of a reward in terms of aim assist, but it punish players for being out in the open, out of position. I like that it adds a bit of Risk vs Reward to the equation; when you are scoped in Halo, your view is very limited, and additionally your radar is hidden. Just some things to ponder.

When I'm less bored I'll write an analysis on Sprint and why I think it can be beneficial. *gasp!*