Sign in to follow this  
InStiiNcT

Halo Esports Development by InStiiNcT

Great Read!

It's a shame to see that organizations are hesitant to come to Halo because of roster instability. Hopefully 343 will employ much needed changes into the HCS and I would like to see contracts enforced. Players need to know they can't just leave a team because they want to if they are on contract. 

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Storylines aren't being built, so no one gets invested. - Rivalries and up-and-comer stories are glossed over and not built up as hype machines.

That's a big one. MLG basically manufactured the Huke craze with how hard they hyped him up at Regionals last year.

Then again, ESL has done a pretty good job hyping up Str8's new golden boy but it seems in general, potential storylines are often ignored.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Deleted for saying remove sprint...lmao

All of this stuff is pointless if nobody wants to play the game.

Run the world's best events with the greatest production values all you want. If your game has an average concurrent population of 15k you're just going to spin your tires.

343's halo is generic, forgettable and betrays the desires of most core halo fans. Fix that first before you worry about literally anything else.

And yes. That does start with removing sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

343 sucks

Difference is, his feedback has a chance to make some impact, this short piece of yours, not so much.

I respect his effort very much and even if he is mostly just repeating things that has been said many times throughout the last couple of seasons, it shows great passion, hope and positiveness. He is also not "just a community member" but also a partner that wants the scene grow which is really cool and that has to make 343 think about all this at least a little bit.

Thank you for your effort @@InStiiNcT .

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I appreciate the effort, and I'm not trying to be negative, but there's nothing especially insightful or unique here ...? And there's no reason that it needs to be so long and rambling. Maybe approach 343 with a more concise version, get some other org owners to join in etc.

• Downvote (-1) 2

So you agree with everything I said?

The purpose of this post was to put it all into one place. I'm not trying to take all the credit for the ideas written in this piece. I definitely took some ideas from things I've heard from community members and players but put it into my own words.

your post was good man, but it's just we've been saying this stuff for a long time, and nothing has changed. 

i hope with your input 343 will be more inclined to listen. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

<p>

I wonder why.

But on a serious note, the only storylines we really hear:

• Hey no one can beat OpTic at an event
  • nV did that one time but nV can't beat Liquid anymore (except when they finally did)

We heard a little bit, but not much about:

• Renegade is pretty good
  • Shotzzy is young
  • Mikwen/Ola not attending Last Worlds
We heard almost nothing about:
  • Renegade was dropped for Shotzzy/Left Inconceivable for Str8(?)
  • Rayne, Penguin, Huke have finished top 4 at every major tournament in H5 since Worlds.
  • Eco left Str8 for TL and consistently outplaced them.
  • Saiyan
  • eL ToWn being the highest placing member from last year's Worlds Runners up
  • Jimbo back-to-back Worlds Top 8 finishes
  • Shooter, Renegade, Falcated, Shotzzy, Saiyan, Str8 Sick not attending last Worlds.
  • Splyce made up of Bubu+3 players that didn't attend Worlds last year and still getting top 6.
  • Coaches not named Elumnite

The videos that Tashi was doing were great. That needs to be expanded into a series.

Great points in a great package.

What you are saying about how they didn't provide the schedule for future seasons makes me wonder if 343 upper management just isn't taking this seriously.

This is a great post. I know some people will argue that it just mirrors the points of community members, but 1. It's a great collection of important points, and there are great solutions here, and 2. It has more weight coming from an org owner. This may be a bit off topic, but I think it's an important discussion wen talking about halos relevancy moving forward, and I'm hoping that Connor may have ideas on how to fix it moving forward: ontop of all these issues, Halo is severely struggling for cultural relevancy. Some may blame it on poor releases, and that's part of it (as well as the Xbone's bungled marketing), but IMO it's largely to do with the popular idea that Halo is a "dumb-fun bro shooter", and that those in the competitive scene are taking things WAY too seriously for a big dumb sci-fi shooter. Just look at this article and the comments within ( http://kotaku.com/a-friend-convinced-me-to-shut-up-and-enjoy-halo-3-1790605482 . I understand this is Kotaku, but this is NOT a conversation unique to this site. I've seen similar conversations across the board). There is a severe misunderstanding of what makes Halo different from other shooters, WHY it's different, and why those differences make the game a unique competitive experience. Just anecdotally, I have several friends that disliked halo at one point (despite not having played more than a few games) because the mechanics didn't make sense to them. And no, it's not things like inclusion of radar or AR's, it was things such as "the archaic weapon pickup system, and the high TTK". Once I had those friends watch some games, and I explained the mechanics to them and why those mechanics separated Halo from being a lesser CoD, they loved it, and they are all regular players now. They started to love the idea of map control, equal starts, power weapon control, and all of these things that are unique to competitive Halo. So I guess the question is, how do you break that stereotype that Halo is just a dumb and vapid shooter that doesn't deserve competitive attention? CLEARLY it's not true, because there are some great elements to Halo that you can't get from other shooters. Even with Halo 5's problems, we have seen some incredible competition and some nail biting games the likes of which I just haven't seen from too many games. So, Connor, my question to you is: what can we or 343 do to show that this game (or even this SERIES. It's NOT just Halo 5) deserves to be watched in the same way that CoD does? My best guess is that it comes down to 343 to do PROPER marketing for HCS and the Halo games in general, and really knock it out of the park with H6 across ALL facets of the game (competitive, social, campaign, art direction, yadda yadda. A well made game will bring attention, even if only for a little bit). They really need to stick their necks out to show exactly why Halo differs from games like CoD, and why those differences make it something worth paying attention to. I hope that their "HCS drama series" is akin to the USA MLG shows, because that could make a huge difference. I remember those H2 shows really showing me what made Halo a fun competitive experience. The passion of the players and the explanations of the mechanics and the meta from the casters, players, and breakaways all brought me into the scene. But aside from these things, I'm a little lost for where to go beyond that. It really seems like the general gaming community does not like Halo if only because it's not popular to like Halo right now. How do we show people that Halo is worth playing and worth watching (and before people come back at this saying that Halo 5 ISNT worth playing or watching, keep in mind that the article I linked above was talking about Halo 3. The franchise as a whole suffers from this problem)?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like the post in general. I disagree and agree with a lot of it but I'm glad people have the passion to simply make the effort to type that much about Halo. 

I think one of the easiest parts to disagree with from the players pov is this

"I think this is a big reason we don’t see many big sponsors coming into Halo. Next, be Loyal. Team changes do not always help and will usually hurt the teams longevity of becoming victorious. Yes, sometimes team changes are essential to bouncing back but more times than not you are only going to see short-term success and will most likely produce another roster change a couple of events later when you see one unpleasant event. There have been many instances over the last 16 months where teams don’t hit their expectations, so they look for someone to replace in hopes they could finally hit the potential they believe in. Why not learn how to be professional, accept criticism, and develop into a top team by using a good work ethic?"

The obvious response is "When did that ever win a Halo event?" I don't remember much about CE MLG despite following it because I was so young but I cannot name one team since to win that wasn't already in contention to be the best team or hot off team changes to actually come out and win multiple events. Not saying its impossible but taking the most efficient route to improving your own situation is typically very appealing. This could change if the salary from orgs was extremely appealing and harsher team change penalties were enforced. The biggest issue here is if they're going to take this seriously and a large part of their income (maybe all of it) is event winnings then you better believe people will replace/shade/drop whoever and whatever they need to so as to ensure what they feel is their best possible chance of winning.

I appreciate the effort, and I'm not trying to be negative, but there's nothing especially insightful or unique here ...? And there's no reason that it needs to be so long and rambling. Maybe approach 343 with a more concise version, get some other org owners to join in etc.

It may be true that many of these points have been said before but coming from an org owner involved in a number of esports its nothing but a good thing.

On another note though, getting other org owners on board is definitely a good idea

So you agree with everything I said?

The purpose of this post was to put it all into one place. I'm not trying to take all the credit for the ideas written in this piece. I definitely took some ideas from things I've heard from community members and players but put it into my own words.

We've had plenty of "consolidation efforts", believe me. 

We don't expect change at this point. Disappointment is entrenched in the concept of being a competitive Halo fan. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Make a game that doesn't suck. The end.

Is Infinite Warfare a good game ? No. And look at their esports scene.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is Infinite Warfare a good game ? No. And look at their esports scene.

Uh. It's pretty shit compared to what it could be.