Teapot

Beach LAN 6 + $5,000 Halo CE Tournament: 8/12-8/19 Powered by Weedmaps

It kills me that I can't be there to cast it this year. That setup looks like blast. I'll try to tune in when we're released for the day at BLC.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It kills me that I can't be there to cast it this year. That setup looks like blast. I'll try to tune in when we're released for the day at BLC.

:tear:

It kills me I don't get the chance to have a possible amazing duo! I'll try to do you justice my friend.  :glasses:

• Upvote (+1) 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vnBnMiy9MU

The quality is impressive. I mean, he specifically has some expensive ass production HD CRT monitors or something, but there are webcams that show the whole room, web cams for the stream stations, mic's for the stream station, commentary room with ability to control all the different scenes. It was damn impressive and thats what we are striving for this year.

That is a huge improvement on last year quality.

I would check out Devilman's post that links to the Tampa BL stream. They've been testing it all week to make sure things are smooth.

That particular video is from Devilman's VA Beach LAN this past year. Part of the huge improvement is probably because of the monitors he uses. Yup, monitors. He has two expensive ass production CRT monitors that like you'd see at production on like Saturday Night Live in the 90's.

@@Devilman can you post the model of those monitors?

that probably wont be at the beachlan. that is halo run at 480p which we most likely will not have

I would check out Devilman's post that links to the Tampa BL stream. They've been testing it all week to make sure things are smooth.

That particular video is from Devilman's VA Beach LAN this past year. Part of the huge improvement is probably because of the monitors he uses. Yup, monitors. He has two expensive ass production CRT monitors that like you'd see at production on like Saturday Night Live in the 90's.

@@Devilman can you post the model of those monitors?

The monitors I have are actually PC CRT monitors that were top of the line back in 2002.  They are made by NEC, model number FP2141SB, have a 20" viewable screen and can display 480p.  You're thinking of Professional Video Monitors (PVMs) or Broadcast Video Monitors (BVMs) which are harder to come by and don't look as crisp.  Regardless, halo will only be played in 480i at BeachLAN 6 which is obviously not as clear as 480p.  However the deinterlacing filter and other video filters we've used should make the stream look almost as good as 480p.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was just looking back over the Bracket from previous Beach Lan and noticed something fun: the higher seed beats the lower seed in every single winner bracket match except for the #3 seed beating the #2 seed in the third round. How's that for a skill gap, eh?

The monitors I have are actually PC CRT monitors that were top of the line back in 2002.  They are made by NEC, model number FP2141SB, have a 20" viewable screen and can display 480p.  You're thinking of Professional Video Monitors (PVMs) or Broadcast Video Monitors (BVMs) which are harder to come by and don't look as crisp.  Regardless, halo will only be played in 480i at BeachLAN 6 which is obviously not as clear as 480p.  However the deinterlacing filter and other video filters we've used should make the stream look almost as good as 480p.

Gotcha. Yeah I was mistaken about that. They're awesome quality but surprised that the PVM/BVM aren't as crisp. 

@@Sebastian The skill gap is crazy, just watch the finals and check out the scores. People went nuts just because McDick and PB actually took a game. 

Gotcha. Yeah I was mistaken about that. They're awesome quality but surprised that the PVM/BVM aren't as crisp. 

@@Sebastian The skill gap is crazy, just watch the finals and check out the scores. People went nuts just because McDick and PB actually took a game. 

What's crazy is you thinking I don't rewatch those finals on a monthly basis :)

I play a lot of MCC 2's now, and it's unbelievable how high the level of play is these days, even in that online environment. Knowing every single spawn and nade point doesn't even make you competitive - you still have to be able to make excellent decisions and an incredible shot to contend. If you don't also layer experience and a teammate who knows you really well, the DrMontages and Xorgs of the world will 50-5 you. It's zany.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am only going off what I've read elsewhere as I have never owned a PVM or BVM.  I've read that they are almost as good as a CRT PC monitor, but only if you find the very few ones that can output 480p.  Some people in the smash community have put together a rating system for different displays and video adapters (with input lag kept in mind) that I know to be accurate based on my experience of playing halo on the multitude of different displays I've owned over the years.  You can check it out here:  http://i.imgur.com/1IxzjMV.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have a sony pvm that displays 480i (the 480p ones are expensive af. god damn adults and their retro games + smash community). the scan lines are different but I wouldn't say the quality is bad at all. I don't really notice it compared to my sony wega though the camo is a little easier to see, maybe because of t he scan lines.

Also that picture was made by 1 guy who has a bias towards crt monitors so take it with a grain of salt. Many people have gotten different results than him. Saying crts have a .67ns response is misleading. If you hit a button .00000000001 seconds after the frame has appeared, it can only appear on screen as fast as a frame which is 16.67ms. Also a popular organization is displaylag database which lists the fastest lcd monitor to have 9ms of lag (15,0000 more than this guy). Probably because they use a different measuring method. 

Also idk where this guy got his weights lol. my 20" sony pvm weighs twice as much as my 20" wega or my tosiba I had years ago and my 20" crt monitor I had as a child I never had trouble moving so I would assume it was way under my wega (though yes child memories aren't really reliable). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I didn't say the picture quality was bad on a pvm/bvm.  Just not quite as good.  But there's always going to be some subjectivity when it comes to rating picture quality.  People will always have their own preferences.  Also, I'm sure there are some crappy crt monitors out there that probably don't look as good as some well taken care of 480p capable pvms/bvms.

Also note that there are many ways to test lag.  From my understanding, these measurements were in part taken by another smash player that has access to a fairly expensive oscilloscope.  Regardless, I feel these lag times are fairly accurate based on what I've played halo on (which is every display on that chart except for the pvm/bvm).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there a resolution that is too good and has a negative effect on camo? Does that need to be considered?

Is there a resolution that is too good and has a negative effect on camo? Does that need to be considered?

480p and 480i have the same 640x480 resolution so while there is an improvement, it's not a huge difference.  To see camo you'll still need to predict their movement, look in the right places, and sometimes hold your reticle still to see the flicker.  And of course while camo you still need to be careful, unpredictable and sometimes hold still if the enemy is looking in your direction.

480p and 480i have the same 640x480 resolution so while there is an improvement, it's not a huge difference. To see camo you'll still need to predict their movement, look in the right places, and sometimes hold your reticle still to see the flicker. And of course while camo you still need to be careful, unpredictable and sometimes hold still if the enemy is looking in your direction.

Sin and co taught me that the hard way far too many times Easter weekend. I've never been killed with camo so many times in my life. My locals hardly ever spotted me so it was a rude awakening for me.

Sin and co taught me that the hard way far too many times Easter weekend. I've never been killed with camo so many times in my life. My locals hardly ever spotted me so it was a rude awakening for me.

I see what you did there.

All my locals had insane camo eyes for some reason. Like they couldn't pistol the broad side of a barn but they could double nade the crap out of me with the game winning camo.

I see what you did there.

All my locals had insane camo eyes for some reason. Like they couldn't pistol the broad side of a barn but they could double nade the crap out of me with the game winning camo.

Haha I feel like I can't even use that phrase :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

Rubbish! I say nighty night all the time  :glasses:

Are you gonna be there for the whole week?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for everything Teapot, this guy for some reason does a lot of work for us behind the scenes.    <3

See ya there