Mib2347

I have devised a way to demonstrate heavy aim

Might be that they need a common ground that is connected within the relay somehow? /r/electronics is probably your best bet, you might see a post from me up there before I have my side up and running as well.

That makes sense to me. I'll make a post there and see what they say. Thanks dude.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This video would explain why so many people can land 4 shots then the last head shot seams impossible to hit. Also I am curious if this issue will disappear with the Xbox Scorpio. If so players on the Scorpio will have a huge advantage over players on the Xbox One. 

I would also like to see if an inner deadzone helps make the aiming more consistent. I mean, maybe 343 put the deadzone at that percentage because they knew lowering it would cause issues.

Thank Christ someone finally figured out this issue.

It's not really figured out. Just finally proven that it exists.

I would also like to see if an inner deadzone helps make the aiming more consistent. I mean, maybe 343 put the deadzone at that percentage because they knew lowering it would cause issues.

I've been thinking the same thing.  Many of us play on 0,0 nowadays, which would cause the 'feeling' of heavy aim to be more apparent when the CPU is having issues right? If we are testing H5 to other Halos I think we should try to control the deadzones too.  

Also heavy aim is likely caused by input lag, this is not a demonstration of input lag.

Onus is in you, buddy. 

Halo 1 functions just fine on the same console, and Halo 3's aiming problems were preserved with the port, proving in the only other demonstrable instance that the hardware was irrelevant. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Thanks for creating such an excellent post! I can't make any promises, but I can tell you that our Sandbox team has seen this post, and is looking over it as we speak. Thanks again, Mib!

343 deliberately re-coded the aiming from the beta version. 

How would they not know about this already? 

Does nobody talk to anyone else in that place? 

• Upvote (+1) 7

I think they knew about it but didn't want to admit to anything because they couldn't get it to work right after they made the dynamic resolution changes from the beta. They don't mention stuff really until they get called out on it with proof. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think they knew about it but didn't want to admit to anything because they couldn't get it to work right after they made the dynamic resolution changes from the beta. They don't mention stuff really until they get called out on it with proof. 

Your right. The beta was locked at a very low resolution. It did not scale resolution up or down like it dose now. Thats why the beta aiming felt right. This is all making since now. I cant believe 343 refuses to acknowledge this issue. 

The beta was locked at a very low resolution.

Not really, beta gameplay looks just fine to me. Now I agree 720p might be a pathetic resolution in 2017, but I'd rather take a working 720p over a half-assed, glitchy dynamic resolution 1080p. The Xbone is just a weak ass console lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

In the most recent vision, they talk about  heavy aim at the world championships quite a bit and they have like 343 techs there but it comes off as they definitely know more than they talk about https://youtu.be/FA9P6DpIFBI?t=503

Starts about there, but I don't know specific time stamps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In the most recent vision, they talk about  heavy aim at the world championships quite a bit and they have like 343 techs there but it comes off as they definitely know more than they talk about https://youtu.be/FA9P6DpIFBI?t=503

Starts about there, but I don't know specific time stamps.

Watching now. I'm at 11:00 and they are really shitting on Halo 5's aim. It's so weird because they say different stations have it way worse than others. What the fuck is going on 343? 

Edit: At 14:30, so the pros were saying it's way heavier when they introduced a couple observers in the game. W.T.F. 3.4.3.? 

But the PC version is just as fucked as the Xbox :(

Must be something with the engine.

afaik, the controller aim is crisp AF on PC. It's the m+kb which is fucked. 

This is some absolutely fantastic work OP, great job.

I've been constantly frustrated with my damn near inept performance in H5, which is surprising to say the least when I do so well in the other Halo games.

I was actually gonna make a post on this site today about just how different my experience was last night between Reach and H5. To put it bluntly, I kick ass in Reach, and I get my ass kicked in H5. Seems that my dissatisfaction over the atrocious aiming was warranted.

I feel extremely vindicated right now lol.   

We definitely need to make a list of things we want to test, or just test methods to determine the variables of the controls, and we DEFINITELY need to test them across all the Halo games. Things like comparing sensitivities at a given number, comparing short and long turns to map out acceleration curves, contrasting horizontal and vertical aiming, maybe even something like a "metronome" test where we swing the aim back and forth or up and down at a given interval and see if we can visually pick up any differences between games. 

Holy shit! You still exist?!?!?! I just brought up the name cursed lemon yesterday to someone and was wondering where you been at all these years. I remember you making videos for h2 and h3 back in the day about their problems.

We definitely need to make a list of things we want to test, or just test methods to determine the variables of the controls, and we DEFINITELY need to test them across all the Halo games. Things like comparing sensitivities at a given number, comparing short and long turns to map out acceleration curves, contrasting horizontal and vertical aiming, maybe even something like a "metronome" test where we swing the aim back and forth or up and down at a given interval and see if we can visually pick up any differences between games. 

For sure, I've got a few ideas of my own.  I think something that oscillates like so:

1. Start at center point

2. Deflect 1/8 to the left

3. Deflect 1/8 to the right to return to center

Would be a great test, because even without the machinima coordinates turned on, anything "off" would be extremely apparent.  It's also an easy test to perform on the older installments as well.

Some other things I'd like to try once I have the circuit built to handle both X and Y axes is implementing an ogre twitch that sits there and spins the reticle in a circle super fast, something else that any delay or latency would be extremely apparent on.

Also, I have multiple control pins on my arduino, so I could also integrate automatic start/B button pressing to see whether that "corrects" anything.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Also, this takes a bit more work, but is something I definitely want to play with, theoretically I could cut the leads from the potentiometer on the board and run them directly into the arduino, and modify it before it gets back to the controller board, assuming there's little to no latency on the circuit.  This would allow me to take a controller input signal that would normally run into H5's curve calculations and fake it lower, such that we're accounting for the curve and basically negating it.

Even simpler than that is just detecting input that's passed H5's huge accel jump and normalizing it to always send the controller board the joystick position just prior.

• Upvote (+1) 3