Mib2347

I have devised a way to demonstrate heavy aim

Can someone link that Ghost post (ha) about the aiming? 

Hey, all!

:ghost:

Saw Josh posting about the aiming in Halo 5 in response to some of your questions and figured it'd be a good time to lend some insight. That being said, yes, the aiming did change a little bit from Beta up until now. During the Beta, close-range gameplay felt fluid, mid-range felt decent, and long-range felt flat-out squirrelly. So, our Pro Team went through numerous tests over the course of a few months with our lead sandbox designer, Chris King, and the rest of his team in regards to how our how aim felt leading up to the release. There were some days where our entire team despised it, other days where our team had a split-decision, and finally one day where we all felt extremely comfortable with it.

Now, to be fair, we've played this game for two years, so we do have a lot more time spent getting comfortable with the movement, as well as the weaponry. Nevertheless, like any other Halo player, we all know how good our shots are when it comes to a Halo utility weapon, and that day, we felt it. Thus, after careful tweaking, constant iteration, and daily discussion, we landed on our favorite fit. It gave players the perfect blend of sensitivity across all three ranges. Yes, close-range might feel a little bit harder to control at first, but in the long run, you will all learn to adjust to it for the better. Shooting the magnum in this game is very particular, seemingly like how Killer N or StK Tupac shot their pistols in Halo 1. At first, it's going to be tough, but it will get much better with practice. Even to this day, shooting a Halo 1 pistol up-close is extremely challenging though, right?  ;)

Furthermore, since the game is running at 60FPS, and the mobility is so fast in-game, I want to reiterate that everyone of us needs to adjust to how the aim-adhesion will feel for Halo 5. It's a bit tricky at first - using a single-shot weapon to essentially swipe over an enemy as you pull the trigger feels different than before. Also, in the Halo 5: Guardians Beta, a bug slipped through the cracks that had a delayed aim-assist problem. You could swipe your reticle over an opponent, and the game would display Red Reticle, but it was after a 5ms delay. Thankfully, we were able to address that issue and fix it before launch. So now, everything should feel very smooth. Nonetheless, we are actively listening to feedback, and we are always welcome to change. So, if players do feel this strongly about the aim after a few weeks, our teams will without a doubt revisit the sensitivity curves in Halo 5.

Anyways, haven't had the chance to say it yet - hope everyone truly enjoys Halo 5 here! I know I haven't posted on these forums in quite some time, but I assure you that I'll be frequenting them much more now that the game has launched. So, as always, feel free to leave your unadulterated feedback below! 

-Ghost

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't have any other fps games but I would like to try it in a different game for consistency.

If you can think of anything I could do to improve it then let me know because I want to be sure. Ideally if other people did the mod then they could see for themselves too.

There's a thread on waypoint about heavy aim with almost 600 replies now I think and not a single one is from 343. I posted this all in there when I did it over the weekend.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/heavy-aiming-is-not-fixed/edc2890d-30a9-4242-8851-c474ac95a22f/posts?page=27

Awesome you have really done good work here.  If you can't simulate 50% deflection, i might try with a gun that has a different length of time where vibration is active.  I play with Vibe off so i dont really know, but does the magnum  or sniper vibrate for longer when fired than the carbine that you used?  If you can use a weapon that vibrates for a longer but consistent length of time it might really exacerbate these effects.  Would be interesting to see.

I would make that same comparison in other Halo games too using a different weapon if those are the only ones you have. Maybe even with BC reach.  No need to go nuts i dont think, just test with a couple weapons that vibrate for different lengths of time.

One of the things that I noticed which was very interesting was the way it over aimed. This was quite rare so it's less easy to notice in game. But we've all had that feeling where suddenly you can't get that final headshot and this could possibly be why.

It's totally ruined the game for me now.

Shit yeah.  We have all experienced that where the crosshair just kind of suddenly keeps going.

@@Mib2347

You said you can't test with other FPS because you don't have any? Is there a way to gift a game on Xbox Live? I wouldn't be surprised if Overwatch had similar issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Next maybe you can run the same test with 6-7 players running around the map and playing as normal, and seeing how that affects the values.

Can the modifications be adjusted so that the input results in a diagonal movement instead of a horizontal one? My thought is that the issues might be compounded when trying to aim along more than one axis.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Firstly that was an excellent idea. I tried it and found out something pretty interesting. It doesn't land in exactly the same location every time but does often land so close that you wouldn't notice it without seeing those numbers.

What's more interesting though is that it seems to hit the same precise numbers for a period of time and then it'll change after that to something different.

I've recorded a clip a so I'll wait for that to upload and share it. Hopefully you can see the numbers.

I don't really have time to do anymore today and I only did this test because I knew exactly how to do it without having to figure out the process. So it only took 5 minutes.

Edit here is the video

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mib%20HCS/video/29208763

This is excellent, exactly what I was thinking.

Next maybe you can run the same test with 6-7 players running around the map and playing as normal, and seeing how that affects the values.

That's an interesting idea... Like I wonder if exploding rockets or grenades, shields popping and things of that nature happening within certain distances would affect it as well. I think Mib has done more than enough for today though, 343 should be doing this shit honestly lol.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Firstly that was an excellent idea. I tried it and found out something pretty interesting. It doesn't land in exactly the same location every time but does often land so close that you wouldn't notice it without seeing those numbers.

What's more interesting though is that it seems to hit the same precise numbers for a period of time and then it'll change after that to something different.

I've recorded a clip a so I'll wait for that to upload and share it. Hopefully you can see the numbers.

I don't really have time to do anymore today and I only did this test because I knew exactly how to do it without having to figure out the process. So it only took 5 minutes.

Edit here is the video

So the numbers that pop up are 281.82/83/84/85, 279.57/58/59/83/87, and 280.53/93. I may have missed some, but that's all of the ones I saw. This means there's a chance your aimer will move 2 units less to the right in this test environment. Your aimer, under perfect circumstances in this test environment, should probably be moving around 11.8 units (most common ending point of 281.84 - starting point of 270.04=11.8). In this environment, your aimer will move pretty much between 11.8 units and 9.8 units. It's hard to compare the test environment to the real game since players usually aren't jamming their sticks while aiming, but it's easy to see how this can make or break gunfights. Another thing I noticed is that as the clip went on, the numbers got more erratic. There's a whole lot of weapons on an arena map, even when you don't consider dropped weapons from bodies, so it has the chance of getting even worse as a game goes on.

Also, my post is like 95% shitty math so I'm sorry if nothing makes sense here 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Could you test out the start+b/a trick that pro's use to "reset aiming" to see if it affects the inconsistencies?

• Upvote (+1) 4

That's an interesting idea... Like I wonder if exploding rockets or grenades, shields popping and things of that nature happening within certain distances would affect it as well. I think Mib has done more than enough for today though, 343 should be doing this shit honestly lol.

As soon as you take that broken mechanic online the stress on the CPU only gets worse. If you have all your armor, helmet, visor, weapon skin unlocks loaded into ram then that leaves less for the CPU. If you have a bad connection to the server then there's a delay the exchange of information between your Xbox and the server so your Xbox has to do things like estimate the position of other players more frequently which tasks the CPU.

If this is true then it's likely that having an actual game going would affect it more.

Edit here is the video

Holy shit, when you look at it like that with the numbers everything falls into place, that's messed up! You have done this whole community a hell of a service, man. Well done and thank you!

• Upvote (+1) 1

So basically, have an actual game going on in the background on an account with everything unlocked. See if you can get the units travelled below 9.

So the numbers that pop up are 281.82/83/84/85, 279.57/58/59/83/87, and 280.53/93. I may have missed some, but that's all of the ones I saw. This means there's a chance your aimer will move 2 units less to the right in this test environment. Your aimer, under perfect circumstances in this test environment, should probably be moving around 11.8 units (most common ending point of 281.84 - starting point of 270.04=11.8). In this environment, your aimer will move pretty much between 11.8 units and 9.8 units. It's hard to compare the test environment to the real game since players usually aren't jamming their sticks while aiming, but it's easy to see how this can make or break gunfights. Another thing I noticed is that as the clip went on, the numbers got more erratic. There's a whole lot of weapons on an arena map, even when you don't consider dropped weapons from bodies, so it has the chance of getting even worse as a game goes on.

Also, my post is like 95% shitty math so I'm sorry if nothing makes sense here 

Ok, so lets say that the average of those 2 extremes is where you should be landing.

(11.8+9.8) / 2= 10.8

So thats a +/- variability of 1 unit in this test.

1/10.8*100 = 9.26%

So there is a 9.26% +/- variability in the aiming during this very synthetic test.  We can imagine that it only gets worse as more and more variables are added during real gameplay.

shit man

• Upvote (+1) 2

The only solution is probably either start playing on PC. Or buy a Scorpio. Or they could lock the resolution to 720p.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Ok, so lets say that the average of those 2 extremes is where you should be landing.

(11.8+9.8) / 2= 10.8

So thats a +/- variability of 1 unit in this test.

1/10.8*100 = 9.26%

So there is a 9.26% +/- variability in the aiming during this very synthetic test.  We can imagine that it only gets worse as more and more variables are added during real gameplay.

shit man

I would argue that 281.8 is where it should be going, anything less than that is heavy aim.

Holy shit is is huge. I wonder if the pistol had more consistent aiming, if it would feel more balanced against the AR at mid/close range??

The sad thing is 343 has probably know about this for over a year and still don't nothing about it. So the aiming probably can't be fixed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would argue that 281.8 is where it should be going, anything less than that is heavy aim.

Ok so in that case we would do 

2/11.8*100 = 16.95% 

So the same input could make your cursor move up to 17% less from run to run.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Holy shit is is huge. I wonder if the pistol had more consistent aiming, if it would feel more balanced against the AR at mid/close range??

The sad thing is 343 has probably know about this for over a year and still don't nothing about it. So the aiming probably can't be fixed.

AR's perfect killtime is lower than the pistol's perfect killtime....So no

The next step is to post this on halo waypoint.

• Upvote (+1) 1

why the fuck am I still playing this game

LOL

I honestly can't believe its up to 17% off.  Thats hard to fathom but it could be circular travel and not linear travel  translated to a flat screen and my brain can't do that kind of calculation haha.  Math and science were my strongest subjects until i met calculus.