Mib2347

I have devised a way to demonstrate heavy aim

Have any of you guys ever looked at the cronusmax? It allows you to use use virtually any controller on any console and it also seems like they support scripts for combos, rapid fire mods, anti-recoil mods and thing like that. As it's a way of inputting info to the Xbox I wonder if there's a way to use that to ensure a consistent input?

Edit: I posted there to see if they can help

http://cronusmax.com/forums/showthread.php/169906-Inputting-an-exact-thumbstick-movement-for-a-precise-time-in-Halo-5

I actually ordered one yesterday for this haha.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've got one similar to that I think. It's fine for small stuff.

I don't know why but the solder on the elite thumbstick is slightly smaller than on my standard Xbox one controllers and I really struggled to get mine off. I've got basically no experience though so it might just be me!

I read that the solder on older controllers is leaded and on the elite its unleaded which is harder to work with and requires higher temps. Part of why i want leaded solder.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I actually have the CronusMax. I've had one for a while for my Fightstick for Xbox One... I never attempted to mess around with the scripting on it. Hmm..

Edit: Okay, so I hooked up my controller to my PC and have the CronusMax compiler open. After taking about ~5 minutes or so to look over the documentation so I could learn the language syntax really quick (pretty dope because it's pretty much a C based language), it actually looks pretty simple to script exactly what you want.

ouN9ZNE.png

The yellow and green fields are the variables I assume you guys are trying to modify. (RX and RY obviously being the right stick X and Y thresholds). You can modify the values to set between -100 through 100 respectively and you can also add a delay between each shot.

What I'm thinking is that I can probably write a script really quickly to set off a series of functions off a button press that can record the initial button which then sets the value of RX/RY and for how long. Then after that probably code in a restart method (whether it's reloading a campaign chapter or just shooting a rocket at myself or something).

• Upvote (+1) 7

I read that the solder on older controllers is leaded and on the elite its unleaded which is harder to work with and requires higher temps. Part of why i want leaded solder.

That's interesting to know. I thought it was just poor technique on my part.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually have the CronusMax. I've had one for a while for my Fightstick for Xbox One... I never attempted to mess around with the scripting on it. Hmm..

Edit: Okay, so I hooked up my controller to my PC and have the CronusMax compiler open. After taking about ~5 minutes or so to look over the documentation so I could learn the language syntax really quick (pretty dope because it's pretty much a C based language), it actually looks pretty simple to script exactly what you want.

ouN9ZNE.png

The yellow and green fields are the variables I assume you guys are trying to modify. (RX and RY obviously being the right stick X and Y thresholds). You can modify the values to set between -100 through 100 respectively and you can also add a delay between each shot.

What I'm thinking is that I can probably write a script really quickly to set off a series of functions off a button press that can record the initial button which then sets the value of RX/RY and for how long. Then after that probably code in a restart method (whether it's reloading a campaign chapter or just shooting a rocket at myself or something).

That's awesome. Hopefully this is what we've been looking for. I can't wait to see what you find

• Upvote (+1) 1

ouN9ZNE.png

This is amazing.  I wonder how accurate the components are that they modded into the controller.

This is amazing.  I wonder how accurate the components are that they modded into the controller.

It seems pretty accurate man. On that Device Monitor you're looking at, you can view the threshold of each and every value of the and can modify the duration of each event down to the millisecond. You can modify each of those thresholds inside of the code itself.

• Upvote (+1) 1

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FeaR%20DeucEy/video/29713978

Finally it finishes lol.. Sheesh. For a one minute clip, that took entirely too long.

Anyway, keeping a close eye on the Device Monitor (image several post above) I can assure you that all the values are consistent as far as stick thresholds.

However for this particular scenario, as opposed to the OP, I would say it's about correct 90% of the time. The additional 10% however (the variance you will see in the clip) is also consistent. Every time it doesn't go to the spot above the rock, it points straight to that crack in the mountain side.

Edit:finally figured out how their events work, and now that I figured that out, I'm pretty much running this entire scenario programmatically. 

I just hit down on the Dpad one time and I just let it go from there. I'm actually writing out this post as it runs 30 times. I'm noticing the same behavior. It's just hitting those two spots consistently (the tree more often than the side of the mountain but they're both consistent as far as that goes).

Also, as an FYI, I'm just using default look sensitivity 3 and there's no vibration or anything turned else on.

• Upvote (+1) 7

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FeaR%20DeucEy/video/29713978

Finally it finishes lol.. Sheesh. For a one minute clip, that took entirely too long.

Anyway, keeping a close eye on the Device Monitor (image several post above) I can assure you that all the values are consistent as far as stick thresholds.

However for this particular scenario, as opposed to the OP, I would say it's about correct 90% of the time. The additional 10% however (the variance you will see in the clip) is also consistent. Every time it doesn't go to the spot above the rock, it points straight to that crack in the mountain side.

I've found that I get better consistency if I hard reboot. Especially if I've gone between h5/h1. Maybe that's worth a try?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've found that I get better consistency if I hard reboot. Especially if I've gone between h5/h1. Maybe that's worth a try?

Oh okay was this something you encountered as well? I haven't hard-reset in quite a while. I'll give it a shot and run it again, especially now that I have everything working automatically with the script.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh okay was this something you encountered as well? I haven't hard-reset in quite a while. I'll give it a shot and run it again, especially now that I have everything working automatically with the script.

I did. I'm not sure why it happens but if I ever do any testing I hard reboot just to be sure.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I did. I'm not sure why it happens but if I ever do any testing I hard reboot just to be sure.

Yup.. That's definitely one cause. It's hitting the tree a hell of a lot more consistent now (I have it set to run 100 times literally as we speak, and it didn't hit the mountain side until about the 20s or so).

It's still hitting it every once in a while, but it's a ton more consistent now.

The only question that I have now is what is the inconsistency.. I'm tempted to try H2/H4 and see if this "consistent-inconsistency" occurs in those games as well. It went from like 90% to about 95%. I wish this compiler had some sort of logging/console output so that I could export some timing data to check to see if it's possibly the game, or if it's the script. 

I'm tempted to say it's the game because one thing that CronusMax script does is log the CPU load while the script is running, and my CPU averages ~4% idle and about ~9% while the script is running. So I highly doubt it's the PC, but it's another possible cause. What I may do is install this script straight into the device and try running it directly from the device instead of from the PC.

--------------

Okay so installing the script straight into the device didn't help the inconsistency. However, since it literally only hits those two spots, it's safe to say there's a possible test case for the other games. If the values are anything other than two consistent locations (one occurs a ton more frequently than the other) then we should possibly have a confirmation that there is a variance issue.

I have to go take care of some stuff really quick, but I'll be back in a while to test some other games.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Based on what they were talking about in the Optic video when heavy aim was brought up, I think it would be worthwhile to try and stress the CPU/GPU by not only testing multiple players in the game, but to specifically test Observers being in the game. That's what the tournament staff member seems to think will make a difference.

https://youtu.be/FA9P6DpIFBI?t=12m35s

• Upvote (+1) 2

Based on what they were talking about in the Optic video when heavy aim was brought up, I think it would be worthwhile to try and stress the CPU/GPU by not only testing multiple players in the game, but to specifically test Observers being in the game. That's what the tournament staff member seems to think will make a difference.

https://youtu.be/FA9P6DpIFBI?t=12m35s

Agreed. If we can establish that using any of these methods is consistent in other games, then inconsistent in halo before there is any stress, clearly it will get worse when stress is applied.

Also, if we can establish that observers make it worse online, it could have implications for the type of casting that is done for pro league.

This is my new favorite thread

Edit: hard reset correcting things is interesting. Further points to processing issues. I wonder if running something like pandora background music would screw it up more.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Okay, so update:

I tried this same scenario in both Halo 2 and Halo 5, and I'm getting the same exact consistent-inconsistency. 

Halo 2 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FeaR%20DeucEy/video/29720594

Halo 5 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FeaR%20DeucEy/video/29720105#t=47 (time-stamped at :47 when it actually starts)

I clipped Halo 2 because I wanted to demonstrate that that aiming goes to these two spots every single time; consistent with the CE demonstration. So with that being said, in the Halo 5 test, I made sure to turn Machinma mode on so that we could retrieve the values. I copied MiB's settings for this demonstration which was 10-10-1 0% 0%. I didn't try 15 outer deadzone yet (this is actually tiring lol.. You guys are champs. That and the fact that I had to rewrite the script a little bit for Halo 5).

It's looking like the sweet spots for the Halo 5 demonstration were 

Now there are quite a few instances of a ± .01 difference, which I didn't really count. But there are a number of times in here where the values skew a bit. Some of the notable ones were:

309.26 (2:42)

309.43 (3:14)

309.41 (3:38)

309.36 (3:49)

I will admit, it was a bit more consistent than I originally thought it was going to be, but I conducted the test like I would any other experiment; unbiased.

Everything conducted here was scripted. The only input I have is pressing down on the DPad to kick it off. After that, I just put the controller down and walk away.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Ok, I just recently ran into this video, and thought it might be of interest to everyone here. It's nothing concrete, but it implies that the Xbones hardware could possibly have an influence on the aiming issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Okay, so update:

I tried this same scenario in both Halo 2 and Halo 5, and I'm getting the same exact consistent-inconsistency.

Halo 2 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FeaR%20DeucEy/video/29720594

Halo 5 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FeaR%20DeucEy/video/29720105#t=47 (time-stamped at :47 when it actually starts)

I clipped Halo 2 because I wanted to demonstrate that that aiming goes to these two spots every single time; consistent with the CE demonstration. So with that being said, in the Halo 5 test, I made sure to turn Machinma mode on so that we could retrieve the values. I copied MiB's settings for this demonstration which was 10-10-1 0% 0%. I didn't try 15 outer deadzone yet (this is actually tiring lol.. You guys are champs. That and the fact that I had to rewrite the script a little bit for Halo 5).

It's looking like the sweet spots for the Halo 5 demonstration were

Now there are quite a few instances of a ± .01 difference, which I didn't really count. But there are a number of times in here where the values skew a bit. Some of the notable ones were:

309.26 (2:42)

309.43 (3:14)

309.41 (3:38)

309.36 (3:49)

I will admit, it was a bit more consistent than I originally thought it was going to be, but I conducted the test like I would any other experiment; unbiased.

Everything conducted here was scripted. The only input I have is pressing down on the DPad to kick it off. After that, I just put the controller down and walk away.

Yesterday I rebuilt my mod as I couldn't seem to hit the consistency I first got in the H1 video. For reference I did over 100 repetitions and got just one variation.

Now when I do it in H1 the variation occurs way more often so it's a little odd to me that no one (myself included) finds the consistency I first had.

Ok, I just recently ran into this video, and thought it might be of interest to everyone here. It's nothing concrete, but it implies that the Xbones hardware could possibly have an influence on the aiming issues.

https://youtu.be/RmsOXk71BMM

This is quite interesting. If this is a known Xbox one issue then it may explain why 343 don't talk about it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting Tyco, that was actually something I was thinking as well.. I was actually thinking of trying something like an Xbox 360 controller or a PS3 controller as well using my script and using the CronusMax to see if I get the same results. I'll give it a shot today.

Yesterday I rebuilt my mod as I couldn't seem to hit the consistency I first got in the H1 video. For reference I did over 100 repetitions and got just one variation.

Now when I do it in H1 the variation occurs way more often so it's a little odd to me that no one (myself included) finds the consistency I first had.

This is what really bothered me when I was doing this test. Like, the test seemed very consistent for the most part... But then for the variance that gets introduced, it was also consistent. Then, as you said, it was ~90% of the time as opposed to 99%. I feel like there's something we're just missing. I'll try with as many different controllers as I can. I may even pop in Halo 3 on both Xbox 360 and the MCC version (using both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers on each console) and see if there is any difference using the same settings, just different devices.

• Upvote (+1) 4

This is what really bothered me when I was doing this test. Like, the test seemed very consistent for the most part... But then for the variance that gets introduced, it was also consistent. Then, as you said, it was ~90% of the time as opposed to 99%. I feel like there's something we're just missing. I'll try with as many different controllers as I can. I may even pop in Halo 3 on both Xbox 360 and the MCC version (using both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers on each console) and see if there is any difference using the same settings, just different devices.

Maybe there is something we're all missing. It seems like which ever way you test it the results always have a variance that is consistent. So either the methods all share a common flaw or the Xbox has a weird way of handling controller input and it's more noticeable in certain games.

Perhaps as you've mentioned H3 on 360 vs Xbone then comparing them would be worthwhile.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Interesting Tyco, that was actually something I was thinking as well.. I was actually thinking of trying something like an Xbox 360 controller or a PS3 controller as well using my script and using the CronusMax to see if I get the same results. I'll give it a shot today.

This is what really bothered me when I was doing this test. Like, the test seemed very consistent for the most part... But then for the variance that gets introduced, it was also consistent. Then, as you said, it was ~90% of the time as opposed to 99%. I feel like there's something we're just missing. I'll try with as many different controllers as I can. I may even pop in Halo 3 on both Xbox 360 and the MCC version (using both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers on each console) and see if there is any difference using the same settings, just different devices.

You should try this with 50% deflection as well and we still need to try with a bunch of other people on the map, on a shitty server, etc.

Not sure where you live but we should start a custom with someone across the pond then have a bunch of people join while it is running with you joining last and running the script.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Another variable I was thinking about possibly introducing in the script would be to input what @@automatousbeing found with the up/left -- down/right, as it seems it could possibly be the missing link to this entire slow turn business.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seems like you guys have been making some good progress.  Not sure if anyone was following along, but I did get a response on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/arduino/comments/65kaab/need_help_with_a_project_connecting_to_an_xbox/dgbcwoq/

Basically, it looks like I need to be using PWM from one of the pins directly out of my arduino, rather than using the relay or the digipot.  I kinda had a sense something like this might be possible when I first started, but being so new at all this I didn't really know where to look.

If I find some time tonight I'll try playing around with it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Seems like you guys have been making some good progress.  Not sure if anyone was following along, but I did get a response on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/arduino/comments/65kaab/need_help_with_a_project_connecting_to_an_xbox/dgbcwoq/

Basically, it looks like I need to be using PWM from one of the pins directly out of my arduino, rather than using the relay or the digipot.  I kinda had a sense something like this might be possible when I first started, but being so new at all this I didn't really know where to look.

If I find some time tonight I'll try playing around with it.

Ok, so he is basically saying that you can set the parameters of the PWM so you know you are getting millisecond accurate output?

• Upvote (+1) 1