Mib2347

I have devised a way to demonstrate heavy aim

The only thing i can think of (and maybe you already confirmed this), but: this test assumes that the vibration for each shot w/ the same weapon lasts the exact amount of time. i.e. there aren't multiple potential vibration responses you could get from the same weapon.

I don't THINK there are variable length vibrations from a single weapon in H5, but I just wanted to note this as it's technically an assumption, i believe.

I have thought of that too. My only argument is that in campaign with the same weapon it occurred a lot less frequently.

Any critical analysis is encouraged as if there's a way to make the testing more thorough then it gives the results more credence.

I would love it if other people built the mod and tried it too. The relay just closes the circuit to move the thumbstick when a voltage is applied to it. So if you had a separate device that you know puts out a signal for a precise amount of time then that most be better. I don't have anything like that so I couldn't test it. I had the idea to use the rumble motor because that's all I had.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ive passed this along to hopefully get seen by the right people.

Thanks dude. I appreciate it.

343 have never really spoken about inconsistent aim so it's nice to know they might be listening.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to electronics so I don't think that I could personally figure out a way to input 50% turn. But it might be possible for someone who knows what they're doing which would be great if they could figure that out.

With regards to the forge maps then the op on waypoint (wu ip man) did suggest exactly what you've described. The only potential issue is that forge maps are known to be a bit broken so it might not be an ideal environment to test in. That said if someone created a map then I would gladly try it.

Ok, it seems you simulated a 100% turn by shorting the POTs inputs and outputs directly together. Meaning you completely bypassed the POTs internal resistance.

If you put a small resister in line with your input wire, it should reduce your output signal. Using a resistor half the size of your potentiometer should give you a 50% turn.

I guess for more lengthy input, we'd need a weapon that vibrates for longer after each trigger pull.. or some external device.

Ok, it seems you simulated a 100% turn by shorting the POTs inputs and outputs directly together. Meaning you completely bypassed the POTs internal resistance.

If you put a small resister in line with your input wire, it should reduce your output signal. Using a resistor half the size of your potentiometer should give you a 50% turn.

I guess for more lengthy input, we'd need a weapon that vibrates for longer after each trigger pull..,

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can determine what I need to do that then.

As for a lengthy input, the Promethean sniper does vibrate it a lot so maybe I will try that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Because this didn't occur when the game came out. I think it started happening after the sensitivity update. Saw some other people say the same thing.

I thought the sense update came out BECAUSE so many people were complaining about the aim. It was the beta that didn't have aiming issues, but I as far as I know H5 aiming has been heavy/broken out of the box.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Headcasers proven right!  :ace:

I'm so glad I know now WHY I suck more at H5 than other Halos lmao.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Finally definitive proof to what we've been saying since release! 

Only now seeing people who said the aiming was fine come out and say 343 should fix this.  :angry:

• Upvote (+1) 4

Because this didn't occur when the game came out. I think it started happening after the sensitivity update. Saw some other people say the same thing.

wrong, been their since day 1

• Upvote (+1) 8

I thought the sense update came out BECAUSE so many people were complaining about the aim. It was the beta that didn't have aiming issues, but I as far as I know H5 aiming has been heavy/broken out of the box.

People complained about the aiming before the update because aiming in Halo 5 is way different than previous halos. It's even different than the beta. 343 thought that more sens options would ease those voices.

But I don't recall having Heavy aim before the update. What I do recall after the update was that I thought I had slow turn on my controller. So I bought a new controller. Maybe I should go back to my old controller to se if it actually has that or it was just Heavy aim.

Edit: but now that I think about I think you guys are right. it happened before too, because I remember speeding up acceleration at first when the update came out. And I remember a tweet from chig about not having a brick attached to my weapon anymore.

But in the very beginning it felt good. Just as it felt good in the very beginning of the update where they said they fixed Heavy aim. Like only the first day or few hours. :p

Amazing stuff man. Thanks for taking the time and effort to figure it out. It's nice to have some people in the community whose motivation goes towards actually identifying the problems rather than sarcastically posting about them 100 times a week.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

People complained about the aiming before the update because aiming in Halo 5 is way different than previous halos. It's even different than the beta. 343 thought that more sens options would ease those voices.

But I don't recall having Heavy aim before the update. What I do recall after the update was that I thought I had slow turn on my controller. So I bought a new controller. Maybe I should go back to my old controller to se if it actually has that or it was just Heavy aim.

Yea, see the videos OP posted. Different as in broken as fuck. Since day 1. The patch did not introduce this shit, I promise. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Hey, I'm at work and on mobile, but from what you've said, this is great work.

From what I understand, we have two variables for which we want to minimize the variation in. One is the relationship between vibration and stick input. I think your hack is excellent, and I'm not TOO concerned about this right now.

The second is the measuring how much your direction changes for the assumed identical input. Eyeballing the location isn't perfectly exact, but I know of a SUPER EASY method that doesn't require using Computer Vision (which was my personal original plan lol). All you need to do is turn on the on-screen coordinates using Machinima mode. You can turn Machinima mode on in the custom games settings. Then, in game, press the button sequence to get the coordinates on screen. The last two values aren't coordinates but heading angles (basically longitude and latitude). You can point in one direction, perform the test, and then know exactly how many degrees your aim moved. This will allow you to tabulate your results and get exact values.

Dope

OP If you can try any other title try Halo 4, that had good aiming

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yea, see the videos OP posted. Different as in broken as fuck. Since day 1. The patch did not introduce this shit, I promise.

If aiming issues is tied to the CPU, the difference from beta to final game makes sense. Beta was locked at 720p 60fps, whole the current game is 60fps and uses the dynamic resolution which I would assume uses a ton of CPU resources.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

From what I understand, we have two variables for which we want to minimize the variation in. One is the relationship between vibration and stick input. I think your hack is excellent, and I'm not TOO concerned about this right now.

The second is the measuring how much your direction changes for the assumed identical input. Eyeballing the location isn't perfectly exact, but I know of a SUPER EASY method that doesn't require using Computer Vision (which was my personal original plan lol). All you need to do is turn on the on-screen coordinates using Machinima mode. You can turn Machinima mode on in the custom games settings. Then, in game, press the button sequence to get the coordinates on screen. The last two values aren't coordinates but heading angles (basically longitude and latitude). You can point in one direction, perform the test, and then know exactly how many degrees your aim moved. This will allow you to tabulate your results and get exact values.

That sounds like a more precise test, as in getting actual data, but that's kind of irrelevant at this point. What we know now is that the aiming is not right and 343 needs to fix it. 

Nah this game had trash aim from the very first day it came out due to the updates from the Beta, where the aiming felt too "squirrely."

Edit: Others have said the same so just ignore this. For some reason my thread didn't load a page 2.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If aiming issues is tied to the CPU, the difference from beta to final game makes sense. Beta was locked at 720p 60fps, whole the current game is 60fps and uses the dynamic resolution which I would assume uses a ton of CPU resources.

True. 

Also, the beta had some major frame drops. In "fixing" that by using the dynamic resolution they may have broken the aiming. Titanfall 2 and Gears 4 have the option to use dynamic resolution scaling on the PC and the aiming always feels perfect, so it seems 343 just messed up somewhere. 

Its not the vibration that triggers the stick movement. the signal that would normally trigger the vibration motor is being used to trigger the stick movement.