Sign in to follow this  
ripharambe

Opinions on spartan abilities besides sprint,and spartan charge.

I think team beyond universally agrees that spartan charge,clamber,and sprint are dumb but I've seen mixed opinions when it comes to the rest.Classic halo is what most of us would prefer but....I doubt we'll get that.Which of the remaining abilities should be kept/tweaked and which should be removed.

Ps: Spartan abilities besides sprint,clamber, and spartan charge haven't​ been talked about as much so a little reasoning as to your opinion would be nice.Edit:I completely forgot about clamber edited it in

Nothing wrong with stabilize imo. Don't really see a lot of cons here.

Thrust I think should go. It's just another ability that slows encounters down. (Just think about what the first button that gets pressed the moment you get shot in Halo 5). Yes it can be used to trick people out in the middle of the battle, but the same thing can be accomplished with a higher BMS and strafe acceleration.

Ground pound is annoying but  if it had no splash damage damage I could possibly live with it.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't hate clamber totally.  What i hate about it is that you can use it fucking sideways and that you can use it above your head. I could take it or leave it really.

- Stabilize is good. It shouldnt be tied to zooming however and require that you press a button.  Like say, idk, maybe remove sprint and let that be used for stabilize just maybe?

- I like thrust as well.  The problems i have with thrust is that its really more effective as an escape tool than a strafe tool.  I place the blame on that less on thrust itself, and more how easy-mode most of the weapons are.  Though I would rather see it be a little shorter distance and a little faster.  

- Ground pound is whatever.  its most useful for stalling jumps which i think would be much better accomplished if they got rid of sprint and allowed stabilize to be used whether you are zoomed in or not.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't hate clamber totally. What i hate about it is that you can use it fucking sideways and that you can use it above your head. I could take it or leave it really.

- Stabilize is good. It shouldnt be tied to zooming however and require that you press a button. Like say, idk, maybe remove sprint and let that be used for stabilize just maybe?

- I like thrust as well. The problems i have with thrust is that its really more effective as an escape tool than a strafe tool. I place the blame on that less on thrust itself, and more how easy-mode most of the weapons are. Though I would rather see it be a little shorter distance and a little faster.

- Ground pound is whatever. its most useful for stalling jumps which i think would be much better accomplished if they got rid of sprint and allowed stabilize to be used whether you are zoomed in or not.

Agreed,I think if the killtime on the magnum was lower than you'd see thrust used much less as an escape tool.That or just decrease the distance you thrust though I personally like a couple of the things it brings to the movement skill gap.

no sprint, no radar, no thrust, no clamber, no stabilize, no sc, no ground pound. Lock it

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I really like Clamber and thruster pack and don't mind hover. Sprint...I like in this game, but it should go for Halo 6. Ground Pound annoys me due to its splash damage. Remove Sprint, GP, Spartan Charge (gosh I hate charge) and I will be personally happier.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Slide is good.  Just make it so you have to be moving forward long enough without strafing.  It doesn't have to be tied to sprint.  Having some additional (yet predictable) ability to juke people on a cooldown is fine, plus it opens up some possibilities with map design without forcing maps to be designed around it.

Stabilize...is alright I guess. 

Ground pound is very situational.  I don't feel it's any more broken than something like a backsmack is.  I just don't really see the point in having it either.

Really all those other abilities are insignificant and could be kept or removed without many people noticing.  Thrust is the only one with a significant and controversial impact on the game.

no sprint, no radar, no thrust, no clamber, no stabilize, no sc, no ground pound. Lock it

Is it really that hard for you to not drive by post?I asked for a little bit of reasoning as to why so discussion would be promoted.The only spartan ability that I've ever seen people deeply discuss besides clamber,sprint,and spartan charge was thrust once.I don't disagree with you,I'm just annoyed because I asked in my post that people give a little rationale about their opinion.

Stabilize is fine as is slide I could live with thrust and clamber if they were reworked, clamber more punishing when used but with most if not all of the jumps crouch jumpable so if you do decide to clamber that shit is going to punish you hard over someone who crouch jumps it. With thrust if they slowed it slightly so it was more predictable with a longer cooldown I think it would be fine. Smartscope I would be ok with if it was on precision weapons only.

with that said im cool with a return to pure classic with an increased movement and strafe speed.

Is it really that hard for you to not drive by post?I asked for a little bit of reasoning as to why so discussion would be promoted.The only spartan ability that I've ever seen people deeply discuss besides clamber,sprint,and spartan charge was thrust once.I don't disagree with you,I'm just annoyed because I asked in my post that people give a little rationale about their opinion.

No sprint - boost base speed

No thrust - annoying and abused

No clamber - boost jump height if need and make it so people have to utilize crouch jumping

No SC - this is obvious

No GP - also obvious

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I think all of the enhanced movement abilities do more to raise the skill floor than the skill ceiling.

• Upvote (+1) 5

So we've already established that spartan charge,clamber,and sprint are cancer. Good. So what's left?

Thrust: this will always trump strafing in a 1v1 which makes battles repetitive and promotes saving a thrust for the next 1v1. Plus it contributes to newer Halo's having a shitty strafe (otherwise why thrust?). I see its potential for juking out players, but it does more harm than good. If it has to return, can we please shoot while using it at least?

Slide: Honestly not too big of a problem as long as it isn't a requirement to traverse a map like on Fathom. I hate when devs force you to use gimmick "X" just to get around a map. Also get rid of the added forward momentum and as a result the slide-jump-thrust aka flying across the map exploit. As fun as it is, it ruins map flow and hurts the game in many ways.

Stabilize: I'm personally not a huge fan of this, but it isn't the end of the world if stabilize stays. It's just another gimmick ripped straight from CoD:AW, but at least it doesn't hurt Halo's core gameplay in any meaningful way. Take it off the zoom buttom though, it's awkward as fuck.

Ground Pound: I fucking hate the splash damage, the slight-but-still-apparent magnetism and the stun effect. Remove those and make it more of a humiliation tool than a "I have the high ground and now you are going to die" tool and it's no longer a problem. It sucks though that as long as GP exists, we will never get fall damage back.

Sorry for the little rant, but let's just state the facts: All Halo ever needed to "feel faster" was:

• Faster Base Movement Speed (120% of what we've always had is a good reference)
  • Bump up the FoV to as least 90°
  • A decent strafe (fast acceleration and fast change in movement direction)
  • Maps that aren't stretched to the moon and back

That's it. No "we need more abilities than the Xbox controller can handle" and "let's look what the competition is doing this year." Stop this nonsense and go back to the basics please.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sprint is obviously awful. Removing Sprint deals with the stupid abilities like Spartan Charge and Slide-Thrusting. 

Ground Pound is fine, it's not that easy to pull off any OP plays and it adds something new to the game that is completely balanced IMO. Offers the chance for skilled players like Frosty to pull off some clutch kills in 1-on-1's and escape from bad situations if timed right. Also good for those tricky jumps but you can argue that players shouldn't be able to get to those places on the map that easily.

Thrust without Sprint isn't that OP at all. Same opinion as ground pound. I think it strikes the right balance with adding new mechanics without affecting the gameplay too much. Strafing is already pathetic in Halo 5 so having an extra dodge that players can time in the very last second to win a pistol battle is good for the game IMO.

Clamber, hmm I guess it stops all the skill jumps but it does speed up gameplay someone. I'm fine with it. 

Gotta focus on the things that absolutely destroying the game. That is Sprint, Radar and Automatics. 

I think Halo 5 has gotten to a point now where if all of those things aren't soon removed, preferably with a 10% base speed boost, or not whatever, then the game will always remain lackluster both for watching and playing because I think even casual players are bored of all the shit at this point.

I don't mind clamber or thrust. I could take or leave them. Slide has potential to be great, after an extended period of time playing Titanfall. If it weren't tied to sprint and could be used while landing and to gain momentum it would do a lot for the game I feel. Stabilize is another ability I like, but I would prefer it be tied to holding the jump button midair and drain its meter while taking damage. While we're at it, give us a fast fall too to combo with stabilize and slide.

Ground Pound is annoying to play against, but satisfying to use. It does way too much splash damage and can make you one-shot just by barely hitting anyone.

Nothing wrong with stabilize imo. Don't really see a lot of cons here.

Thrust I think should go. It's just another ability that slows encounters down. (Just think about what the first button that gets pressed the moment you get shot in Halo 5). Yes it can be used to trick people out in the middle of the battle, but the same thing can be accomplished with a higher BMS and strafe acceleration.

Ground pound is annoying but  if it had no splash damage damage I could possibly live with it.

The only real issue with thrust is that you can't shoot while using it honestly. It is better than just upping the BMS because it is a quick burst of speed on a cooldown (having it reset on kill would be sick) so it adds another variable to your strafe, which is a good thing.

The only real issue with thrust is that you can't shoot while using it honestly. It is better than just upping the BMS because it is a quick burst of speed on a cooldown (having it reset on kill would be sick) so it adds another variable to your strafe, which is a good thing.

My personal opinion as that as long as they don't make strafe acceleration shitty thrust becomes another tool instead of something you conserve for every fight.The other two work be reducing the killtime so that thrust can't be used as an escape tool quite as often,and allow us to keep our gun up. Another one though I'm not 100% sure would be reducing the distance you can thrust.I wonder if reducing the cool down would help at all...

I just personally believe the additional variable is unnecessary, more so because a lot of its usage is also used as a get out of jail free card after being shot a single time. Almost every single time I shoot someone for being in a bad spot, they immediately thrust back around a corner. It just unnecessarily slows engagements down because now you have to account for a thrust which is almost guaranteed to make someone with a precision weapon miss a shot or two at close range; which gives the (already OP) autos even more of an advantage than they already have.

Spartan Charge is currently the only spartan ability that truly annoys me. The others I can live with, especially if the new ability radar is implemented into all playlists.

Absolutely none of them belong in Halo.

I am not a fan of most of them, but what is the problem with stabilize or even ground pound... Ground pound is a little gimmicky, but it can make some "cool" plays. What does it hurt? I also think stabilize is a pretty cool addition, especially if implemented correctly.

You can pretty much shoot while thrusting already though, minus the carbine and automatics. The pistol has the fastest fire rate in the game, and you can shoot, thrust, and then shoot it without losing any fire rate. In other words, the cooldown from thrusting to firing is less than the cooldown between pistol shots. So you can do it with every other semi-auto besides the carbine.

I don't think actually being able to shoot and thrust at the same exact time would work anyways. If you made it possible, it could only work on the first shot,then you would return to normal fire rate naturally. It couldn't work on shots after that because you can already thrust between shots. Hope that makes sense.

I can see how people would want that feature for when you aren't trying to fire at the fastest rate possible, but I much prefer the way it is now. You actually have to practice timing and it takes some sort of skill rather than just mashing the thrust button whenever you want.

Let's be real. Millions of people have quit Halo because of armor/Spartan abilities, which have plagued Halo Reach, H4, and H5. None of these "abilities" have added any value to gameplay and instead are the polar opposite: game breaking gimmicks. People want to see their opponent and battle it out in a gun fight, not deal with a bunch of gimmicky bullshit. As long as 343 insists on adding game breaking gimmicks to their Halo games, sales and player base will continue to nose dive.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's the whole problem though, their sales haven't dived. Just post sales population. And why would they care about that after their pockets are already full.