CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Only the big 3 (LoL, Dota, CSGO) are self sustainable, the rest are developer founded or subsidized.

Even the big 3 have some sort of developer funding.

oh i know i was just kidding, i can't wait until esports becomes more monetized

So what is the consensus for this weekend? pretty one sided in NV's favor, or do we think OS will take a series here and there?

Only the big 3 (LoL, Dota, CSGO) are self sustainable, the rest are developer founded or subsidized.

Even the big 3 have some sort of developer funding.

Pretty sure Nintendo doesn't fund the Smash scene  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 4

So what is the consensus for this weekend? pretty one sided in NV's favor, or do we think OS will take a series here and there?

do we get any games tonight? or is it all sat/sun?

Wild prediction with no evidence to back it up whatsoever:

Average series scores will be NV 8-5 OS.  This format should emulate a tournament experience a little more which will buff OS more than it buffs NV, but ultimately NVs dominance is not in question.  Ryanoob and Contra once again make people scratch their heads and wonder why they aren't on pro teams.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure Nintendo doesn't fund the Smash scene  :simms:

fuck smash, it's all about ARMS, the kids want ARMS

ARMS = esports

and splatoon

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure Nintendo doesn't fund the Smash scene :simms:

One of the reasons they have a small scene, considering the amount of viewers they get while having very low prize pools.

is that how that works? :lxthul:

If MLG dropped reach due to low interest and viewership how would MLG picking up a 2+ year old H5 make sense?

The game is exclusive to one platform and is the 25th most played game on said platform. It routinely sits as the like 100th most watched title on twitch.

Why would we even want mlg to jump on right now? So they can try it out and leave again?

I'd prefer to wait and see what h6 is like first.

I agree, and this is kind of what I was getting at. IMO 343 put themselves in a difficult position by attempting to push updates out so frequently in terms of content in that first year, which I think is one of the contributing reasons to the overall low quality of the updates. I would rather have had that content released over a longer period of time and have it be better quality and more polished overall. A more lax timeline could also potentially allow them to make things like meaningful sandbox updates rather than only focusing on "content".

Ideally, they'd have small frequent updates AND large meaningful updates.

Preferably the small updates wouldn't be just adding shit that should have been in to start with.

If MLG dropped reach due to low interest and viewership how would MLG picking up a 2+ year old H5 make sense?

The game is exclusive to one platform and is the 25th most played game on said platform. It routinely sits as the like 100th most watched title on twitch.

Why would we even want mlg to jump on right now? So they can try it out and leave again?

One thing's for sure. If MLG was involved, I'd watch a lot more H5. Probably from multiple accounts at once.

One of the reasons they have a small scene, considering the amount of viewers they get while having very low prize pools.

Is prize pools the only way to measure success though? 

smh.  If Microsoft went to MLG and was like, "hey, here is a blank check.  Run a LAN circuit for us?"  OF COURSE They would say yes.

They are running a business.  As long as they have a revenue stream, it doesn't matter where said revenue comes from.  If Bungie had been supporting Reach directly making it sustainable that way, MLG would never have dropped it even with lower viewership and participation.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i have lost count of the number of times this has been said only for someone to point out that 343 sent mlg a cease and desist. mlg did not drop halo. can we please move past that talking point?

as to halo being dead, that bs reason didnt stop mlg from working with small gears scene and growing it or a trash cod game and keeping it viable. @@Clap has said before he would be interested in halo again if they could run it their way. why wouldnt they return to the game they built their business around? they really could create a kick ass scene if they were allowed to do so

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is prize pools the only way to measure success though?

I would say that an esports success is very complex thing to measure, but one simple way to measure it is asking: "how much money does the average competitor make" or "how much salary does the top 100 players make"

i have lost count of the number of times this has been said only for someone to point out that 343 sent mlg a cease and desist. mlg did not drop halo. can we please move past that talking point?

as to halo being dead, that bs reason didnt stop mlg from working with small gears scene and growing it or a trash cod game and keeping it viable. @@Clap has said before he would be interested in halo again if they could run it their way. why wouldnt they return to the game they built their business around? they really could create a kick ass scene if they were allowed to do so

Also not forgetting that running Halo could easily be a way of rounding out their offerings/heritage based. Not all parts of a business are profit making, some may help build a brand/goodwill for future profits.

??? MLG dropped Halo way before that due to low viewership/interest.

Didn't MLG drop reach before 343 even took over?

And is MS going to continue to throw shit tons of prize money at a dying franchise in order to artifically keep its comp scene alive? That's not good business.

Didn't MLG drop reach before 343 even took over?

And is MS going to continue to throw shit tons of prize money at a dying franchise in order to artifically keep its comp scene alive? That's not good business.

pro tip: esports don't make money

right now it's all about building infrastructure for the future, things are going to grow exponentially

• Upvote (+1) 3

Late on the FFA stuff but am glad people are looking out for this stuff and actions were taken after reviewing the situation. Any player who does that is a sad excuse for a competitive gamer. I'm sure it happens more often than I think, but people are better at hiding the fact they are doing it or something. Saddest thing is to see this guy and other scumbag am kids defend these actions whole heartedly.

They've done it since 2013.

pro tip: esports don't make money

right now it's all about building infrastructure for the future, things are going to grow exponentially

But is halo going to be part of that growth? It really doesn't look like it at this point.

• Downvote (-1) 2

pretty sure we crossed that mark a long time ago. i reinstalled right before the heavy aim fix and it was almost 120GB then

343 shot themselves in the foot with this though. Since we have a huge toolkit of movement abilities, and like 600 different gun variations, warzone + regular matchmaking, and campaign.... With sprint, boost, and slide every single map they had to make was basically exploded to allow for more elongated areas for movement. World of warcraft, which had an entire playable world, on release, had 30gbs of data, this is an absolutely massive game, and they wonder why they so many issues running it on an Xbox lmfao.... its more complex than most computer games.

I know MLG has been cutting back on costs a little bit as of late. I don't know what that means but i do know what i want that to mean.

Also, on the MLG subject. I fully agree that 343 needs to get over themselves when it comes to trying to run their own league with ESL, its an obvious failure at this point and they need to just get into bed with MLG. 

Give MLG full settings over settings, put an MLG mm playlist in the game, and there you go.

Also, i bet a lot of people would come back.