CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

@@Deez any chance of there being a Title update for the fall season? Maybe something similar to Reach's TU (not changing the HCS settings) to keep people interested in the game. Throw in new maps, game types and a free week to get some player retention, because its going to be a struggle to continue playing this game with everything coming out and how current games are regularly updated.

This is probably the best idea for maintaining some sense of relevance. Destiny will have been around for Just under 3 years before Destiny 2 is released. But they kept it going with constant expansions.

Halo 5 needs an expansion of some kind. If we weren't going to get H3A then there needed to be some kind of forethought and planning. You can't expect a population to maintain itself over 3+ years anymore.

I honestly would rather pay for DLC with substance than free DLC that's half assed because "well it's free." That's just an excuse to not put much effort into it.

Good, quick, and fair ruling imo. Going forward I suggest that Semis & Finals are reviewed post-game & before payout by TeamBeyond staff. It weighs negatively on the forum, its tournaments, and its community that this could have slipped by (and if we're being honest -- the apologists are right that this certainly has a high likelihood of having happened in the past).

That's over 4 hours of footage viewing (24 pov's) if we go that route. If you do suspect cheating again, please message an admin (@@Saucey or myself) asap and we will look it over and make a call.

At a certain point you hope that people are honest and truthful when competing in tournaments. It does suck shady stuff happens, but we do our best to stop it. This isn't the first incident that has happened and won't be the last. We run these tournaments for the Halo community and it does suck that people do try and take advantage of that.

Anyways, thanks again for bringing it to our attention!

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ola's had a 103 fever for a week that just broke today and we're getting ready to travel for a 52 game LAN sooooo?

Hope he's recovering well from it. Good luck at the LAN! Really excited to watch it.

This is probably the best idea for maintaining some sense of relevance. Destiny will have been around for Just under 3 years before Destiny 2 is released. But they kept it going with constant expansions.

Halo 5 needs an expansion of some kind. If we weren't going to get H3A then there needed to be some kind of forethought and planning. You can't expect a population to maintain itself over 3+ years anymore.

I honestly would rather pay for DLC with substance than free DLC that's half assed because "well it's free." That's just an excuse to not put much effort into it.

IMO Destiny I'd a bad example to compare when it comes to relevance after being out for 2 years. In the end that game is a loot based semi-RPG game. The replay value that a lot of people get out of it is the constant upgrading of your character and better loot. Obviously DLC plays a part in that as well, but I'm just not sure it's the sole factor when maintaining that particular game's playerbase.

But I do agree that expansions, even if paid ones, help with game longevity. The model that 343 used (ultra frequent updates over the first year) is not good for maintaining a solid player base after the first year. Moving forward I would rather see larger DLC chunks added on a less frequent basis, like every 2-3 months over the span of 2 years. Hell, I would even pay for DLC as long as the quality of it is high.

343 can't get oddball right, can't expect much for aiming. It still pisses me off that aiming in a Halo game is fucked. 

Supposedly oddball is fixed

• Upvote (+1) 1

What are the feelings here on the oddball playlist? Aside from the fact that it's currently a social game type with AR's and radar, does it appear to be promising? With how stale competitive H5 has become I'm itching for a new game type so I'm just wondering how the competitive community feels about its potential inclusion. Also makes me wonder if it would make it possible to utilize some of the DLC maps since it potentially plays much differently than the other 3 game types.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Last thing I will say about it:

The most important part of Beyond tournaments, is that the events are competitive and showcase Halo on the some of the highest levels. Especially the finals of any of our events.

When a player is feeding kills in a close finals match-up, it ruins the integrity of the match.

Our goal isn't to ban people, nobody wants to really deal with this crap - hopefully this won't happen again, as we have no tolerance for cheating/manipulation.

Tiny little Team Beyond showing how to operate with integrity based on simple standards that promote the healthiest ecosystem for their continued growth and survival. I can think of a game developing company that dwarfs Team Beyond in operating revenue that could learn a thing or two from this example.

ps Late, I know. :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 3

IMO Destiny I'd a bad example to compare when it comes to relevance after being out for 2 years. In the end that game is a loot based semi-RPG game. The replay value that a lot of people get out of it is the constant upgrading of your character and better loot. Obviously DLC plays a part in that as well, but I'm just not sure it's the sole factor when maintaining that particular game's playerbase.

But I do agree that expansions, even if paid ones, help with game longevity. The model that 343 used (ultra frequent updates over the first year) is not good for maintaining a solid player base after the first year. Moving forward I would rather see larger DLC chunks added on a less frequent basis, like every 2-3 months over the span of 2 years. Hell, I would even pay for DLC as long as the quality of it is high.

No way

H5's DLC model was amazing.

It only had one flaw which was the ludicrous size of each update.

The game failed despite the dlc model. Not because of it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The Destiny model isn't all that different from the model Halo used. They both attempted to draw customers back with a progression model based around grinding and upgrading your inventory with RNG loot.

They both even started out with a lack of content, and filled they filled the void over time.

The fact that 343s upgrades were frequent and free definately helped maintain the population through the 1st year. That's a good thing. The bad thing is that the content was mostly low quality.

Destiny had less frequent and mediocre quality updates Initially, and they were paygated, but they also benefited from having solid core gameplay that was addictive in its own right.

One thing 343 should take from Bungie is having that 2.0 experience to revitalize interest like TTK. Sorta like the Warzone firefight update, but on a grander scale. Revamp the UI, the MM, the progression, the playlists, and the various other criticisms late in life to give the product a new lease in life.

The other thing they should take is the aiming system.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've been away from home for 5 months. How big is Halo 5 in total now? It must surely be one of the largest file sized games available on any console 

Tiny little Team Beyond showing how to operate with integrity based on simple standards that promote the healthiest ecosystem for their continued growth and survival. I can think of a game developing company that dwarfs Team Beyond in operating revenue that could learn a thing or two from this example.

ps Late, I know. :lxthul:

It is not really that hard. Make a set of rules, and enforce them?  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 2

What are the feelings here on the oddball playlist? Aside from the fact that it's currently a social game type with AR's and radar, does it appear to be promising? With how stale competitive H5 has become I'm itching for a new game type so I'm just wondering how the competitive community feels about its potential inclusion. Also makes me wonder if it would make it possible to utilize some of the DLC maps since it potentially plays much differently than the other 3 game types.

id wait till pros get their hands on it. I've seen it before where people think the new change have real potential and should be the new HCS stuff, but then the pros come along and absolutely hate everything about it and don't think it's good for competitive

But that saying, I enjoy it and it does have potential

• Upvote (+1) 1

Imo, assuming they fix the bugs and switch it to hcs (along with a little map tuning) then it works well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Regarding the Halo / ESL news yesterday, I wouldn't get too excited or expect much to change on the NA side of things.

There was an article a few days ago talking about how ESL was laying off dozens (somewhere from 20-50) employees.  I assume this shift in HCS direction on the EU front is less a result of 343 seeing the light, and more a direct result of the ESL layoffs.  This would also explain why a lot of our ESL staples have already been talking about other projects/jobs (Gaskin TV, Simms posts yesterday)

That's over 4 hours of footage viewing (24 pov's) if we go that route. If you do suspect cheating again, please message an admin (@@Saucey or myself) asap and we will look it over and make a call.

At a certain point you hope that people are honest and truthful when competing in tournaments. It does suck shady stuff happens, but we do our best to stop it. This isn't the first incident that has happened and won't be the last. We run these tournaments for the Halo community and it does suck that people do try and take advantage of that.

Anyways, thanks again for bringing it to our attention!

Yeah, that makes sense. Didn't even think of the four hour thing. That's unrealistic for sure. Anyway, the FFAs surely will be watched much closer in the future for stuff like that I'd imagine. 

Also to be clear, Hoax was the one who originally suspected the cheating (IDK if he saw it in-game or if he reviewed film). I just posted that video and kind of made it blow up.

Thanks to you guys for hosting these tournaments :) Hopefully 2s come back shortly to TB.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Yeah, that makes sense. Didn't even think of the four hour thing. That's unrealistic for sure. Anyway, the FFAs surely will be watched much closer in the future for stuff like that I'd imagine. 

Also to be clear, Hoax was the one who originally suspected the cheating (IDK if he saw it in-game or if he reviewed film). I just posted that video and kind of made it blow up.

Thanks to you guys for hosting these tournaments :) Hopefully 2s come back shortly to TB.

If 2s came back who would you team with? You're a really strong player and also have the attributes to be a mature and beneficial team mate. Wish you'd try making it in 4s again.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If 2s came back who would you team with? You're a really strong player and also have the attributes to be a mature and beneficial team mate. Wish you'd try making it in 4s again.

If 2's come back? Hmmmm

:)

#soon

• Upvote (+1) 6

I've been away from home for 5 months. How big is Halo 5 in total now? It must surely be one of the largest file sized games available on any console

It should be 100 gigs right now.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'm actually really good-looking in real life.

same

I'm not. I look like the word "average" wanted a visual guide.

You're being WAY too harsh on yourself

"average" is just "adonis" spelled incorrectly

• Upvote (+1) 1

It should be 100 gigs right now.

pretty sure we crossed that mark a long time ago. i reinstalled right before the heavy aim fix and it was almost 120GB then

Regarding the Halo / ESL news yesterday, I wouldn't get too excited or expect much to change on the NA side of things.

There was an article a few days ago talking about how ESL was laying off dozens (somewhere from 20-50) employees. I assume this shift in HCS direction on the EU front is less a result of 343 seeing the light, and more a direct result of the ESL layoffs. This would also explain why a lot of our ESL staples have already been talking about other projects/jobs (Gaskin TV, Simms posts yesterday)

But if they lay off 20 employees though how can that be dozens? If you're assuming a standard dozen that's only 1.66 (repeating of course) dozens or 1.54 dozens if you assume a bakers dozen. Your story is full of holes Tibby!

But if they lay off 20 employees though how can that be dozens? If you're assuming a standard dozen that's only 1.66 (repeating of course) dozens or 1.54 dozens if you assume a bakers dozen. Your story is full of holes Tibby!

That's still more than one, which makes it plural.

W04HVSy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2