CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So 343 are thinking of merging ranked and social playlists that are similar. People searching ranked can match up against people searching social :uncledrew:

Actually Starcraft does this, isn't so bad in a 1v1 setting, but sometimes you get unfair matches like GrandMasters players playing unranked destroying some poor diamond soul.

https://twitter.com/joshua_menke/status/879425869227319296

"One option I have some experience with in other games to alleviate this is instead of splitting a Ranked list, let players choose Ranked or Social, but matchmake them together. Those that match Social don’t have their Ranks or stats affected. The result is higher quality matchmaking for everyone. We can even adjust the MMR of Social players so we don’t put them on your team if they aren’t in “try hard” mode."

Yeah this is straight out of Starcraft, the issue here is that Social playlists have different settings, and also there could be squad of really good players ruining the other players ranked experience.

That post wasn't exactly referring to an argument for universal settings, but rather asking why Halo receives the least post-launch balance modifications out of any AAA multiplayer game I've played.

In terms of universal settings, I don't necessarily believe that what we play needs to be 1:1 with what the "core" game is, but I believe the current "format" we are using is an atrocity that is very non-conducive for growth.

Urgh, thats my bad.  I agree with the "why has balance been neglected for so long when there are glaring problems" part entirely and should have mentioned that first.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah this is straight out of Starcraft, the issue here is that Social playlists have different settings, and also there could be squad of really good players ruining the other players ranked experience.

The game still matchmakes based on skill though in both playlist types, so this shouldn't matter.  The difference in social is that the allowable gap and how quickly that gap expands during the matchmaking process if looser and quicker.  All they would have to do is make sure that the ranked players only match social players that are at their skill level but let social players still match with other social players more loosely.  as soon as a match gets too loose, its no longer eligible to pull in ranked players.

I really want to see the population numbers from H5's release to present.  Are we actually at a point where our player base is so small that we have to resort to essentially merging ranked and social matchmaking?

• Upvote (+1) 5

I really want to see the population numbers from H5's release to present.  Are we actually at a point where our player base is so small that we have to resort to essentially merging ranked and social matchmaking?

something tells me we will never get more than that bravo quote about how h5 was doing so much better than h3 at this point in the lifecycle

• Upvote (+1) 1

something tells me we will never get more than that bravo quote about how h5 was doing so much better than h3 at this point in the lifecycle

That wasn't the quote.  The quote was that Halo 5 has the best player retention rate ["Percentage" if i'm reading between the lines correctly] SINCE Halo 3.  They have never claimed that Halo 5 was better than Halo 3, just that its better than Reach and Halo 4.  And if were being honest, that's not the highest of bars to jump over.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Worse yet, are we really already at a place where 343 is done brainstorming/developing ways to try and regain some population? At the risk of inspiring a bunch of "Halo 5 has been a dead game for months you idiot!" responses, I'm worried this is a signal that Halo 5 is dead in the water.

I was still hoping for a new gametype and maybe some competitive Forge maps and new skins. Merging these playlists doesn't seem like it would drive any new traffic, and it seems like an unnecessary risk that could further damage the population if it didn't quite work.

Disclaimer: I'm at the point where my aimer is fucked up again since the last update and I'm crying on twitter about it, so I'm not exactly the best source for logical thoughts about H5 at the moment.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That wasn't the quote. The quote was that Halo 5 has the best player retention rate ["Percentage" if i'm reading between the lines correctly] SINCE Halo 3. They have never claimed that Halo 5 was better than Halo 3, just that its better than Reach and Halo 4. And if were being honest, that's not the highest of bars to jump over.

gotcha. The article said maus but i didnt follow to neogaf to confirm. still i doubt they'll ever give a hard number for a game that's the crown jewel of the xbox first party eco system while it's in this state. especially if they still expect it to be popular 30 years from now

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the population is indeed that bad, I truly hope it's a wake up call. They've had a wealth of informational resources from Vetoed or Infinity and here's hoping they utilize them. If not now, but for Halo 6.

• Upvote (+1) 2

HCS settings make the game so much better. People that actually kill me demonstrate skill and not crouch with an AR. 

then maybe you should get off tweetdeck and stop lurking my likes? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

btw poop in the cage is hilarious 

lol I'm just messing with ya. But the only reason I saw it was because the default Twitter app will throw your follower's likes into your timeline. So I actually saw a great deal of UFC stuff cuz you liked it, just scrolling my timeline. I don't mind or anything; not your fault, either. But I did want to bring it up and see if anyone else was caught a bit unawares by the surprise poop attack.

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol I'm just messing with ya. But the only reason I saw it was because the default Twitter app will throw your follower's likes into your timeline. So I actually saw a great deal of UFC stuff cuz you liked it, just scrolling my timeline. I don't mind or anything; not your fault, either. But I did want to bring it up and see if anyone else was caught a bit unawares by the surprise poop attack.

dude really? that suckssss, i honestly do appreciate the heads up

i guess i have to be more careful about what i like, no more pron  :tear:

dude really? that suckssss, i honestly do appreciate the heads up

i guess i have to be more careful about what i like, no more pron :tear:

There have been MULTIPLE sports personalities (coaches, broadcasters, etc) that have been caught liking tons of illicit and erotic content. All of them are old guys who don't how Twitter really works and ultimately claim that their account was "hacked."

There have been MULTIPLE sports personalities (coaches, broadcasters, etc) that have been caught liking tons of illicit and erotic content. All of them are old guys who don't how Twitter really works and ultimately claim that their account was "hacked."

lmao.

I just own it. People can unfollow me if they want. Suppose it's different from a professional perspective though.

Personally I'm tired of that and "In case you missed it." Just show me my damn timeline like you used to.

I LOVE America, but the one thing I dislike is the hypocrisy towards sex. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the population is indeed that bad, I truly hope it's a wake up call. They've had a wealth of informational resources from Vetoed or Infinity and here's hoping they utilize them. If not now, but for Halo 6.

This is why they needed h3a. It will bring people back and allows for 343 taking their time in really ensuring that h6 launches full featured and in working order. As it stands im afraid that h6 will be rushed or h5 will it for another yyear and a half/2 years. Whether you like the direction of halo or not, you gotta agree that leaving an fps with broken aiming on the market as your flagship title too long does irreparable damage to the brand

So 343 are thinking of merging ranked and social playlists that are similar. People searching ranked can match up against people searching social :uncledrew:

Uh

What?

I honestly don't even know if it could go back? This shouldn't even be a discussion at this point imo.

They are balancing the AR, they probably force it again once is "balanced".

ASSAULT RIFLE

Players have been providing feedback that the current gameplay around the Assault Rifle has become unfit for competition. After extensive review, we have determined that the data supports this feedback. The Assault Rifle’s effectiveness is similar across a wide range of skill levels, which is not intended. As a result, the weapon will not be featured in competitive play during the Summer 2017 season. We’re actively evaluating best ways to update the weapon and reintroduce into it competitive play once the weapon has been retuned and tested.

• Upvote (+1) 3

ASSAULT RIFLE

Players have been providing feedback that the current gameplay around the Assault Rifle has become unfit for competition. After extensive review, we have determined that the data supports this feedback. The Assault Rifle’s effectiveness is similar across a wide range of skill levels, which is not intended. As a result, the weapon will not be featured in competitive play during the Summer 2017 season. We’re actively evaluating best ways to update the weapon and reintroduce into it competitive play once the weapon has been retuned and tested.

Yeah, I don't know why people don't seem to know about this. Really not looking forward to the shitstorm of disbelief when they bring the AR back. We've known for months that it's coming back.

• Upvote (+1) 1