CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I really wish our community promoted the older games as well. Not just the community but various people in from 343 or M$. It was nice to have a pro team play in the Halo 3 tournament. It was cool to watch both the Howies Gaming Shack and EsportsArena Halo 2 events. Of course, lots of CE stuff happens so having the support of a handful of Halo 5 pros and community members were really helpful. All it took for CE for Beach LAN 5 was a few tweets and hosts and you guys gave CE more than it has had in a decade plus.

I just see various complaints (not saying they're invalid) with the game and scene but at the same time we don't really do much to support each other beyond the current game. It's less that I think the old games are some key to success for getting us to a top esport, and more along the lines of if you really enjoy the old games like you claim back in the day, how hard is it to toss them a little support?

I still hope for an EVO like event for Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I can see your point on the "stale" feeling. Do you guys think that more players feel this way?

Also, what map/mode combos would you guys like to see be tested?

its a big reason i havent played since last year really. i would come back for oddball though. damn i miss that gametype so much

I have to second this. There's something about Oddball and I'd love to see it's possibilities in H5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really wish our community promoted the older games as well. Not just the community but various people in from 343 or M$. It was nice to have a pro team play in the Halo 3 tournament. It was cool to watch both the Howies Gaming Shack and EsportsArena Halo 2 events. Of course, lots of CE stuff happens so having the support of a handful of Halo 5 pros and community members were really helpful. All it took for CE for Beach LAN 5 was a few tweets and hosts and you guys gave CE more than it has had in a decade plus.

I just see various complaints (not saying they're invalid) with the game and scene but at the same time we don't really do much to support each other beyond the current game. It's less that I think the old games are some key to success for getting us to a top esport, and more along the lines of if you really enjoy the old games like you claim back in the day, how hard is it to toss them a little support?

I still hope for an EVO like event for Halo.

I don't think anyone at MS or 343 really has any intention of promoting older Halos. 

If they did, we would have seen a more concerted effort to fix MCC. Besides, all it would do is remind people that the new Halos aren't something worth playing.

Barely anyone from 343 has even had the courage to speak about it.  

This is one of the reasons that Halo won't be successful again until 343 go back to the formula that made Halo so popular. 

It's clear their vision isn't resonating with large amounts of people. They've had 3 separate goes at it, and have yet to make any real impact. 

H6 or whatever will have to be classical. Gears is doing it, CoD is doing it. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

EU Pro League starts in 20 mins, gents!

ckarfVW.png

First week following transfer period so should be some fun!

• Upvote (+1) 5

Sounds like the best case scenario

If they're useless/annoying, they shouldn't be in the game at all (I think that was his point)

i hate losing talent but if huke leaves i'll have nothing but respect for that decision

the kid is a beast and premier players should be playing the premier games

I believe someone said a while back that Hastro wanted him to stay in Halo. Someone significant in the CoD community iirc

I can see your point on the "stale" feeling. Do you guys think that more players feel this way?

I'd bet most players feel this way. I don't play it much anymore, just because of the number of issues and lack of response to some (no offense to you, just telling it like it is). From what I've seen, most people I know (myself included) only play out of obligation.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm really hoping that this new COD explodes in popularity and it finally sinks in to 343 that reeling in the gameplay and providing that tighter, more simplistic gameplay is what people truly want.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I believe someone said a while back that Hastro wanted him to stay in Halo. Someone significant in the CoD community iirc

you mean the owner of nv*  :tongue:

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just want some new, top quality maps

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think anyone at MS or 343 really has any intention of promoting older Halos. 

If they did, we would have seen a more concerted effort to fix MCC. Besides, all it would do is remind people that the new Halos aren't something worth playing.

This is one of the reasons that Halo won't be successful again until 343 go back to the formula that made Halo so popular. 

It's clear their vision isn't resonating with large amounts of people. They've had 3 separate goes at it, and have yet to make any real impact. 

343 has already stated that H5 will be the template for Halo going forward. Gears did it and Gears 4 has been a giant flop, COD is doing it but COD is so successful because comp is on Sony and not XBOX (btw, people are putting way too much faith in Sledgehammer with this new game, MW3 was garbage, and AW is the second worst COD ever). H6 has very little chance to be successful regardless of whether 343 goes back to Halo roots or not. When XBOX1X doesn't sell, and it won't at $500 then no amount of "classic" Halo will matter. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

I think the biggest issue we have right now with growing the scene (ignoring the game being fairly stale currently since pros have no control over that), is the severe lack of content from Halo pros. While I prefer gameplay related content (such as content Vetoed puts out), I think it is important if we want the scene to grow that pros put out a variety of content to build their brand and take advantage of the notoriety their org can help bring.

I am not saying it is a pros job to create content, and I don't want to pick on anyone, but lets look at an example. I think it is fair to say that Lethul is one of the most high profile pros currently in pro league...

Here is his youtube channel currently: https://www.youtube.com/user/lxthul/

Now lets compare to Scump: https://www.youtube.com/user/Scumperjumper

Both from the same org, so in theory the ability to reach out to a similar pool of fans...who does it look like is trying to build their brand and interest for their scene? I mean, TJ has not even updated his banner to reflect being on OpTic, it is all still CLG branding. I am worried by using TJ as an example that he is going to come in here and destroy me, but I could have pointed to just about any pro's youtube page and seen the same sort of content wasteland. Unless I am missing something, it seems Towey is the only person even adjacent to pro Halo that is currently putting out regular quality content. (my apologies if I am missing some pro that has been on the content grind lately). I do want to point out that 343/ESL is guilty of all of this as well.

All that being said...I think Dreamhack will be a great opportunity for Halo pros to do VLOGs and other content to help try to bring exposure to themselves and to the Halo scene. There will be lots of other pros there from other more popular scenes, and lots of opportunities for promotion. I am not usually big on watching VLOGs, but I would love to see behind the scenes of Dreamhack and live vicariously through the pros since I can't be there.

Why do people here think it has to be pros? A lot of popular streamers from other games aren't even very good players. Let alone pros in their respective games.

No offense to any of these guys but besides Ninja no Halo pro has the personality required to be a big time streaming personality.

Halo just isn't hitting the casual masses so big streamers are not coming out of Halo. The game is generic and forgettable. There's nothing else to be said. Make Halo unique again. Make people want to play it again. Draw the masses. Streamers will develop.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think Halo has a chance to at least be a top 10 XBL game provided that H6 can provide gameplay that people want, and is released with a thorough custom browser and forge combination.

There's potential but H5 didn't take advantage of it quick enough. For me, the feeling of "stale" goes beyond gameplay; it's the community that's stagnant.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think the biggest issue we have right now with growing the scene (ignoring anything gameplay related since pros have no control over that), is the severe lack of content from Halo pros. 

Here is his youtube channel currently: https://www.youtube.com/user/lxthul/

Now lets compare to Scump: https://www.youtube.com/user/Scumperjumper

Both from the same org, so in theory the ability to reach out to a similar pool of fans...who does it look like is trying to build their brand and interest for their scene?

To be fair, Scump has built his following for much longer. Hecz has had a quota for the Optic guys for years and in that time Scump has gotten a lot more practice and experience. 

Optic built their following from winning, but more importantly they capitalized on Youtube way before other brands were doing so. Every single pro Halo player could pump out content but I'll bet you 2 gold dragons that 95% of that content gets less than 5k views. Interest in Halo seems to be at an all time low. And getting worse according to the stream stats for Halo 5's lifetime. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I know, it's more wishful thinking. I've talked to various employees and stuff who are still impressed and grateful there is a scene that still exists today. At the very least I think that's pretty cool to hear. I think Xbox as a brand has been doing a good job shifting it's focus back to being more or less a hardcore gaming platform over an entertainment platform like it did with the OG xbox. With them embracing their original library I kinda hope that they acknowledge the communities that still play the old games.

While overall I'm doubtful, I've been constantly surprised within the past year regarding H1 from the players who LAN, the modders who have done so much to fix the game, the nerds who made the training modes/halo spawns etc, the online community that supports us, and even current and old employees from 343/Bungie that helped.

Idk man. One can dream.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sorry to burst bubbles here, but why on Earth would Halo pros waste their time putting out content for this game? There is no demand for Halo 5 videos on Youtube. There's barely demand for Halo 5 streams on Twitch. It takes a LOT of effort to create and manage a channel and it's hard enough to do that when you're making content for a popular game. So what exactly is the ideal scenario for this? They start their content creation career with the primary support of the regulars in this thread and hope the viewership trends magically reverse as a result? They would be better off working part time at a local convenience store.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Although I get what you are saying I think people don't understand it is scumps job to post youtube videos. He is a full time content creator. Compare TJ to formal since that basically applies more to the situation. It is easy to compare a person to someone you want them to be. If TJ was making probably a million posting h5 game plays to youtube don't you think he'd do it? I'm just referencing the situation you mention. If people are going to post content to help grow the scene it certainly can't have money as the motive. 

Also to the comment earlier- I get you can say you think h1/h2 pros played more, but to my knowledge of having teamed with a few pros who played those games professionally (at a top level) they did not. Probably played equal to the amount top level players play matchmaking today. Scrims happened far less often than they do now. 

My bad, and once again, love you guys, did not mean any offense. Shows how closely I follow the COD scene, I did not realize Scump is a paid content creator.

The obvious conclusion is that Hecz should invest in making TJ a content creator  :lxthul: 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I would say that streaming is promoting the game when it's clear upon watching the streamer that they enjoy the game and enjoy streaming. This isn't a bash on Ogre 2 or any streamer in particular - or saying they need to enjoy playing Halo 5 when I myself haven't touched the game in over a year - but I think the argument can be made that within streaming - there's good and bad publicity. 

If you turn on a stream of your favorite particular streamer and they are enjoying the game they are playing, for most people, that will make them want to play that game. They see someone having fun doing something they enjoy and that person will want to do it themselves. But, if they turn on the stream to see that streamer hating every second of playing the game, chances are that person will probably not want to play themselves if they see others aren't enjoying it. 

People play video games for multitudes of reasons. If you watch someone else play a game and see them not enjoying it, not having fun, you're probably not going to want to play yourself. Again - I'm not sitting here on a soapbox saying every person & pro player should play Halo 5 and enjoy it - I'm simply making the point that turning on your stream of a game is not full blown promotion to play that game.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Sorry to burst bubbles here, but why on Earth would Halo pros waste their time putting out content for this game? There is no demand for Halo 5 videos on Youtube. There's barely demand for Halo 5 streams on Twitch. It takes a LOT of effort to create and manage a channel and it's hard enough to do that when you're making content for a popular game. So what exactly is the ideal scenario for this? They start their content creation career with the primary support of the regulars in this thread and hope the viewership trends magically reverse as a result? They would be better off working part time at a local convenience store.

It's the same song and dance every time, obviously the best time to do this stuff is when the game is new at release. We have a pattern, the game comes out and nothing has changed with content, but once the game starts it's downward trend in number then we see people talking about pros streaming more and making content. It won't make a big difference at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mercy TS, Flag, and SH with a completely revamped weapon layout-that's the most important part, the current weapon layout is fun but not meant for serious play.

Torque TS and Flag- may have been significantly improved by the new radar and settings. They originally weren't all that bad themselves anyway.

Very unpopular opinion- Molten SH

It would be a big undertaking, but if we could get a working Oddball that'd be super cool.

Truth is precision rifles with one powerup; that's about as competitive as it gets.

Do you remember what happened last time 343 tried to force Torque into competitive play? The map is terrible and has no flow.

Mercy is too compact and easy to spawntrap in, if you've ever played FFA in it you would know that you can't spawn without being in immediate radar range of an opponent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would say that streaming is promoting the game when it's clear upon watching the streamer that they enjoy the game and enjoy streaming. This isn't a bash on Ogre 2 or any streamer in particular - or saying they need to enjoy playing Halo 5 when I myself haven't touched the game in over a year - but I think the argument can be made that within streaming - there's good and bad publicity. 

If you turn on a stream of your favorite particular streamer and they are enjoying the game they are playing, for most people, that will make them want to play that game. They see someone having fun doing something they enjoy and that person will want to do it themselves. But, if they turn on the stream to see that streamer hating every second of playing the game, chances are that person will probably not want to play themselves if they see others aren't enjoying it. 

People play video games for multitudes of reasons. If you watch someone else play a game and see them not enjoying it, not having fun, you're probably not going to want to play yourself. Again - I'm not sitting here on a soapbox saying every person & pro player should play Halo 5 and enjoy it - I'm simply making the point that turning on your stream of a game is not full blown promotion to play that game.

As I said earlier, this all comes back to Halo 5 (and its last few predecessors) being trash. There's no pressure on pros, whose focus is largely (rightfully) on competing, to go around endorsing the game if the game is already fun to play and watch.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think it's absolutely crazy to state that Ogre 2 has made zero effort to grow the Halo scene. Of all the takes I've seen, this is simultaneously one of the hottest and worst I've ever come across.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 2