CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

We did have a lower viewership because it was on Esports Arena channel instead of Halo. But I'm pretty sure we peaked around 16k during the Envy/OG finals.

I was just going to say that. Fri-Sat are the lowest viewed event in Halo since the AGL days...4 years ago. Optic/ nV Finals should probably hit between 15-20K in the finals. tomorrow .maybe. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just don't really understand how things are so bad. I'm not sure how someone out there wants HCS to exist so badly that they keep funding it while hiring people who do not give a shit whatsoever. On some level the person investing is an idiot and should've cut their losses long ago or hired people that actually produce good work. 

I feel like the answer must have something to do with the corporate bureaucracy of 343/MS ... I've seen similar cases at companies I've worked for (mostly consulting firms).  I would guess that after the initial push in early 2016 to sell H5, Bonnie Ross or whoever else are just scanning executive summaries every once in a while, seeing the fake Twitter views and inflated ad impressions, knowing that "eSports is the future of gaming," and aren't bothering to dig any deeper.  Various middle managers and other team leaders probably know that something is not going well in the HCS, but it's not their turf ... and the HCS/esports team (at ground level) is obviously underfunded and understaffed, doing what they can with limited support, mostly incompetently.

Basically I feel like there must be a high-level person who should be caring, but isn't caring, for whatever reason, due to how MS/343 is structured. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I feel like we need 1 dedicated TO to run everything (or most things). There's too many of them doing 1 off events. You can't grow a scene with lots of people with different visions. The last 4 events we've had have been run by 4 different TO's.

ESL have done an ok job. Production is always good by them but the schedule (for events especially) and they way events/pro league is done is not. The latter is imo what matters more as long as there is satisfactory production.

We did have a lower viewership because it was on Esports Arena channel instead of Halo. But I'm pretty sure we peaked around 16k during the Envy/OG finals.

tru, i got you guys at 15,895 for that sunday

SYOKBnM.png

i made this thing

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was just going to say that. Fri-Sat are the lowest viewed event in Halo since the AGL days...4 years ago. Optic/ nV Finals should probably hit between 15-20K in the finals. tomorrow .maybe.

Tomorrow's going to be interesting with:

- Mothers Day (USA)

- CWL w/ OpTic

- Madden 500k Tourney

- LoL

- Smash

- DOTA

Streams numbers haven't hit 9k have they? Maybe Friday brutal start has turned away people for good - tie in Worlds issues too? I've seen some pretty positive people on here this weekend go for the jug too lol. HCS has damaged this product for good.

I'll say 15k for finals if we're lucky.

• Upvote (+1) 4

- Mothers Day (USA)

- CWL w/ OpTic

- Madden 500k Tourney

- LoL

- Smash

- DOTA

Streams numbers haven't hit 9k have they? Maybe Friday brutal start has turned away people for good - tie in Worlds issues too? I've seen some pretty positive people on here this weekend go for the jug too lol. HCS has damaged this product for good.

Multiple CS tourneys (HTC 2v2 and Subaru online invitational) as well. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

- Mothers Day (USA)

- CWL w/ OpTic

- Madden 500k Tourney

- LoL

- Smash

- DOTA

500k madden tournament?

fuck daytona tbh

So...how does one go about acquiring viewbots? Asking for a friend, who just so happens to be a fledgling video game competitive scene.

I'm assuming the process is more or less the following:

1. Write a blank check to "Russia or China or whoever"

2. Wait

3. ????

4. Profit

• Upvote (+1) 2

I feel like the answer must have something to do with the corporate bureaucracy of 343/MS ... I've seen similar cases at companies I've worked for (mostly consulting firms).  I would guess that after the initial push in early 2016 to sell H5, Bonnie Ross or whoever else are just scanning executive summaries every once in a while, seeing the fake Twitter views and inflated ad impressions, knowing that "eSports is the future of gaming," and aren't bothering to dig any deeper.  Various middle managers and other team leaders probably know that something is not going well in the HCS, but it's not their turf ... and the HCS/esports team (at ground level) is obviously underfunded and understaffed, doing what they can with limited support, mostly incompetently.

Basically I feel like there must be a high-level person who should be caring, but isn't caring, for whatever reason, due to how MS/343 is structured. 

This. 

I'll try not to go into too many boring details, but I work for a software company that used to have a development contract with Microsoft for a software product that our company created (but Microsoft bought the intellectual property for). So basically we had software, Microsoft bought the software, and then paid us to continue developing it for them.

Anyways, long story short Microsoft decided they wanted to kill the product (the software we created but no longer owned) - so they basically provided us with zero marketing & sales resources (which was supposed to be their half of the bargain since we were developing), and just left us to build the product out as sales decrease steadily over the years. And we knew up front this was their plan - the problem was that our company was doing too good of a job. We built a product that was exceptional and customers loved. And this really put a dent in Microsoft's plan to replace our product with a new one of their own. So in order to stunt us, they gave the development contract to a company they knew would do a shit job, and the quality of the product has only gone downhill since.

I bring this up because the similarities I see with the Halo scene & Microsoft as a whole are not just coincidence. I can't say for sure what's going on, but it's entirely possible that Microsoft really doesn't care that much about competitive video games in general so they're just giving 343 the shaft because so what if competitive Halo dies (in their mind). 

Again, I don't know the relationship 343 has with Microsoft, but I can say that I have personally seen a scenario play out where Microsoft will just try to let a product die. If HCS doesn't make them money, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't bat an eye at 343 trying to get more from them. 

Just my two cents. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I know a guy who has accounts NavG120-NavG130 on twitch. Pm me if you want to get in touch.

How much for viewbotting + realistic, NavG-like chatbotting services from those accounts?

Optic's teamwork is overrated. Snakebite is sick and lethul still let eco have his way with him.

This. 

Slightly different scenario I feel though. Their plan in this instance obviously was to decrease the quality of your companies product so that people would jump ship to their product. If MS didn't want HCS, they would just pull the funding tomorrow, especially when it would be costing at absolute least 2-3 million a year.

I feel it is more a case of 343 being completely incompetent, but smart enough to sugarcoat or hide the issues from Microsoft (Think back to the Halo WC 2017 "viewer stats").

It's all going to come crashing down at some point...it's not a matter of if, it's just a matter of when.

Im praying Destiny 2 is more balanced and complete than 1 with a solid esports scene. I'll jump ship if it is. At this point of almost 2 years, nothing but settings/brackets have improved.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Hey man, firstly major props to you for coming to the forum knowing you were going to be getting a bollocking. You seem like a genuinely nice guy, and you clearly have passion for what you do. But I have a number of issues with what you've said here;

I do the EVENT I DO NOT DO PRODUCTION LOL FOR THE LOVE OF GOD 

This may well be the case, and if so, I'm really sorry that you're getting this shit. But what you need to realise is that by being the only person from your company who comes to the forum, you instantly become an unofficial spokesperson for every single issue. From the point of view of your average forum poster, you're the only person we have, outside of the casters, to pass on feedback. (This is the same with Simms, we know he doesn't have anything to do with some of the issues at ESL but as he's the only contact we have, he gets a lot of undeserved shit sent his way) So if you don't do production get someone who does to come here and interact and post what you're posting. This is literally the basics of PR - if you're not able to say anything, don't say anything until you can. If you aren't part of the team and you can't influence it, don't go and give the information.. You're only hurting yourself and your company by setting incorrect expectations implicitly in your behaviour.

Tell you what I will give you $9,000 to come do this better with the same limitations which btw this more then anyone gets paid in a year as well as any of the other 50 jobs 

I'm sorry you think you've been given unrealistic limitations or an unfair budget/payment for the work performed. But you chose to take this on, you must have known what you were getting into? As others have pointed out, this isn't your first Halo tournament working with 343. The idea of "You come and do it better" actually just comes across as petty and childish. In my job I get paid less than others I work with as I've been at the company for less time - they still have the exact same expectations of me, and me saying "I get paid less so you do it" would not fly.

In other news i have heard nothing but good things from people at the event and the stream is being worked on!

Sweet, I'm glad the teams at the event are having a good experience (barring that stand which was pointed out, that thing looks hella unsafe) - that really is important. The pros and the teams there deserve that. But equally, a team/tournament is defined by the overall experience, and yesterday's production really dragged you guys down. The pros and the casters were great, and I loved the games I saw but the production was so bad I had to turn off. That's the first time I've had to turn off a Halo tournament in well over a year. I believe you guys are working on it, but you have to remember the stream started over an hour late. You raise expectations by starting late (as people assume that the time was unavoidable for use).

All I will say is while you guys bash nothing gets better. But I love you all the same this may be the last event i do. 

I'm sorry to hear this may be the last event you do man, I think you have a lot going for you. But you seem to think that whatever we do here makes any difference to the stream's production quality. If we bash, nothing gets better? Nothing gets better if we ignore it and say everything is great either. The stream has nothing to do with the forums. There are lots of members here who will give you advice, in a constructive manner, if you ask for it (and we have before, see GFINITY in London). We shouldn't need to give the advice of "make sure audio is okay", "Don't cut to warzone montages during a series" - these things should be tested before you even get to the Friday stream. I'm sure you've said you do test, but the impression you give is that you don't because of the issues. 

Again enjoy what I hope is a good weekend but soon the people that are trying to do anything for the halo scene are going to walk away going to get my hour of sleep now, and get my 4 hours of sleep for 5 days. Not complaining just tired. Again sorry doing what we can to get all problems fixed. 

I respect the grind man, I do - and I get that you're tired. Everyone has these times in their life, and you have to grind your ass off to make it in any industry, let alone one as competitive as the emerging E-Sports markets. Good luck fixing the issues, I'm sure the guys there are working super hard to fix it, and most of the guys here will be tuning in expecting more.

I'm sorry if you think any of this comes across as toxic, I've tried to be as positive as I can be, and I truly think you guys will step up. 

I really needed this post thank you from the bottom of my heart. Would like to talk more. Hope the show has been getting better. I should not have said some of the things I did. Sorry about that I will most likely be taking a much needed break from major event for the next few months

Best

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Splyce vs Team Liquid:

3-1 TL

3-2 Splyce

3-2 TL

TL takes the scrim 8-6

Unless they play for a 4th time this event

Guess who's playing each other for the 4th time this event in Loser's Semis   :apg:

I am envious of the Melee community. Fought hard against their developers oppression towards their competitive community and still have one of the biggest competitive titles...16 years after release.

I wonder what it would of been like to just stick with H2/H3 for a few more years.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It isn't about insults, Tashi has no experience in this field and got hired because he knew Frankie at NeoGAF. Just because my friend works at a hospital doesn't mean I should get hired and start acting like I know medicine and procedures. Lack of experience and knowledge has crippled the HCS over and over again. Che also had no business doing this stuff, but here we are almost a year later with possibly our worst tournament ever. I'm sure he's a nice guy but I rather have him kill someone elses hobby instead of giving them their 10th chance at this. Halo needs to stop being a charity. @@TheSimms should honestly be leading the HCS.

The HCS can't even get the basics down 2 years later, what hope is there really? The only thing saving the HCS is prizing and nothing else.

Sorry for the depressing post, but this is the reality we are in now.

All Frankie does is post all day in off topic. 

Don't get me started how 343 apologized for not thinking the fans wanted more Master Chief instead of fucking Locke. 

I am still shocked how Phil Spencer continues to let them exist as is. All management needs to be gutted and have people come in that actually appreciate Halo. 

Such a shame, if Simms posted he was going for a beer on the forums FIRST rather than Twitter, I would have bought him like 3. Offer still stands for tomorrow night though man, you certainly earned and deserved them.

I assume you only accept Pints of Guinness? @@TheSimms

Also, @@Phade is the fucking man! Who else can receive constructive criticism like "you're a pancake" and can turn both his event and forum pic to legendary status in under 24hrs?

• Upvote (+1) 1

To anyone at the venue

How many people are actually there. Seems like they have a lot of chairs in front of main stage for not many people

To anyone at the venue

How many people are actually there. Seems like they have a lot of chairs in front of main stage for not many people

I wouldn't have the slightest idea even though I am in attendance. The venue is really big, like bigger than a lot of other venues I've been to.

There's a decent number of spectators but for today specifically it was the FFA that imo had cut down the number of spectators for a while. Basically the format allowed for continuous play for those who did not place top4 (top 3 in 6 man ffa like we have)

So basically if you came in first X amount of times you would qualify for tomorrow. I forget the number, I'm drunk lol. A few ppl reached that quick, like literally 4 and the rest grinded all nights to reach that quota. I was doing stuff so idk who played on main stage last, but there were roughly 60 players at FFA stations during it. (10 stations, 6 man ffa)