CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

• Casters are good in Halo, people like to nitpick but we have good homegrown casters (even without two of the best working this weekend) that work well without structure and the same experiences to grow.
  • Adverts are inconsequential, honestly I say this in every feedback thread, nobody appreciates them so why even have them in the first place - a splash screen is literally all you need.
  • Small things like player name fuck ups can be forgiven, you'll see shit like that in other games too but it's been laughed at in the chat and gone in the blink of an eye.
  • In game quality was actually fine, 720p 60fps is absolutely standard.

The only major problem was the audio issues which I'm speculating was linked to why the stream started late. Super shitty, I just had the sound turned off until it was fixed.

Unfortunately what Halo is missing is competition from tournament organizers. There's no incentive to rise to / push further any bar of quality when you are your only competition.

I don't mean just this event in particular and the only reason I say casters is because I'm not really trying to call out anyone specifically but basically I don't mean all of the casters are poor. I think many of them are quite good but we obviously have a few guys hanging around who do not fit in. For awhile that I was watching yesterday live they weren't really pulling 720p. Or perhaps they were in a technical sense but the blur at times didn't really look like quality to me. Not that it was lagging but the quality was just substandard at times. I'm not sure what they were using to stream, bitrates, encoding settings etc but I feel like something was off. I'd agree with adverts not really being a huge deal I just started rolling out a laundry list of small recent topics that seem to go wrong until the list of small things was a mountain. If someone really wanted to make an exhaustive list of things people have talked about around here it would be even longer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone else annoyed that we missed LB finals and two game 5 deciders LG vs Str8 and Splyce vs Liquid. It will be interesting to see how each team will play eachother today since friday was basically lan scrims for them. Can't we have a lan with good audio/production, minimal downtime, good venue/seating, a well-designed schedule/bracket and second streams. Honestly, watching competitive Halo has been a pain from a viewers perspective since regionals with these constant issues. I want a regionals/x-games viewing experience where you only have to worry about your team losing and none of this other nonsense that plagues this game. I'm so sick of this shit. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not really a fan a publicly bashing people who have a clear passion for esports and Halo but here's my $0.02...

I think it's very clear to everyone that Proverb and P5 Studios are passionate about what they do. They clearly want to help esports grow and want to support Halo.

However, it's hard for me to believe that P5 consistently deals with the same issues during every Halo event production. Audio issues, stream downtime, scheduling always falling behind, poor video quality, spelling errors on stream ('Groop A', are you kidding me?)... you get my point here. After numerous events dealing with these same issues, how has there not been some type of procedure or checks put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Additionally, whoever mentioned that Proverb is the unofficial spokesperson for P5 on these forums pretty much nailed it on the head. Coming in here and telling us to take the money you were given and do a better job than P5 really made me lose my last shred of respect for them. I get there are a lot of moving parts and a ton of issues can arise from a lot of areas of production, but you have to take responsibility when shit hits the fan. You can't come in here and get pissed at us that we want to see a top tier production for the game we all love.

That esports arena tournament in Orange County was a complete joke during Friday, then the TO came on the forums, acknowledged the issues without trying to pass the blame, made sure the issues were fixed, and Saturday and Sunday ran pretty damn smooth.

I've seen Proverb work at events. He does a great job making sure the tournament itself is running very smoothly. I see him constantly running around, working mainstage, talking to teams to let them know where they need to go or when they play next, even sometimes operating cameras when he needs to. Probably working 12-16 hour days on average, so I get it, it's hard and nearly nonstop work so thank you for that.

It's simply the production end of things for P5 that need to change. Consistently having the same issues over and over just can't happen. Not only does it look bad for Halo, but it looks worse for P5. So, if they're serious about their future in producing esports events, I hope they start taking pride in offering the absolute best viewing experience for people tuning in online.

I am Groop. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

It's been awhile boys.

I couldn't quote @proverbs passive aggressive bullshit post for some reason but dude is a real piece of work. Excuse after excuse after excuse.

If you were ANY good at what you do, you still wouldn't be fucking up EVERY event. Good riddance to you if this is in fact, your last event.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

• The only major problem was the audio issues which I'm speculating was linked to why the stream started late. Super shitty, I just had the sound turned off until it was fixed.

So you had it turned off the entire stream? Because the audio was never fixed. 

I was going to reply, then I realized it was @@careh :laughing:

cool2.gif

EDIT; @ I had it turned off until LG Str8, that whole series seemed fine and the next one as well.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

TIL Iron Gaming strived to be the best :thinking: An impressive resume builder though surely. 

vTj0aI8.jpg

http://www.platinum5studios.com/about.html

My favorite quote from their website...

Our photography team while is not cheap is 100% the best, ever imagined having that team that you didn't have to direct, coach in the shots you wanted?

• Upvote (+1) 8

There was a fight yesterday with one of the AM teams. I missed it :(

Details please.

There was a fight yesterday with one of the AM teams. I missed it :(

Video or it didn't happen

Will the stage crush blue team? or will it crush red team? Find out at 11am EST!

blue team  :kappa: 

• Upvote (+1) 9

Spent all day on the course yesterday hustling MSU retirees for Ramen money and sadly missed ALL of the Halo stuff? Did I miss anything? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

First, can we relax about the 200k cables comment?  Pretty sure that was hyperbole (hoping...)

I'm honestly in disbelief at the consistency of this cycle.

1. Something about Halo esports gets messed up by people paid to make sure it doesn't
  2. Team Beyond forum posters get upset about it because we love Halo and want what's best for it
  3. Team Beyond gets blamed for being toxic and "if you don't stop acting like this nothing will get better."

It's incredible to me how Team Beyond just wants the bare minimum (our bar is basically "please do right by Halo and don't make us embarrassed to support it") and we'll get extremely hype for weeks, but when things are bad because someone messed up somehow it's the fault of a bunch of forum posters that Halo isn't capitalizing on its massive potential. 

This can't be overstated.  Its really... terribly embarrassing. We hear "We're going to do better" literally every event.  Friday is always a shitshow.  If it's not the production, its issues with the game, venue, lack of a second stream

FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK WHERE IS BRAVO STREAM. 

That esports arena tournament in Orange County was a complete joke during Friday, then the TO came on the forums, acknowledged the issues without trying to pass the blame, made sure the issues were fixed, and Saturday and Sunday ran pretty damn smooth.

This can't be overstated either.  @@Phade took a lot of shit from us for a crappy Friday. He made pancakes his avatar for christ sake.  He took it on the chin, didn't make any excuses and ran with the criticism to make Saturday and Sunday good experiences.  The fact that he didn't make excuses and fixed his shit earned a lot of respect here (even after the 'Halo is dying' comment lulz  :laughing:)   

Its frustrating that the most accountable people, that take blame for things that aren't even their fault and pay really tight attention to the details are the casters. Especially @@TheSimms (all the EU casters really...) comes in here consistently looking for ways to get better.  Passing along complaints to the people that need to know and apologizing for very minor mistakes.  This is the kind of effort and attention to detail that i expect everybody involved in Halo and Halo esports to show.

I am sure that the amount of individual effort that everybody puts in behind the scenes is significant and I would accept that excuse if this was the first event of its kind for halo.  If it was truly a 'Learning Experience'  But its not.  Its been happening event after event after event literally for years. AND NOBODY HAS LEARNED ANYTHING EXCEPT THE CASTERS!!  The learning curve is supposed to be over.  By now we should be getting solid streams with dope new features that people didn't expect to take it over the top.  Not robot voices, game delays and rigging that is going to kill someone.

• Upvote (+1) 7

• Casters are good in Halo, people like to nitpick but we have good homegrown casters (even without two of the best working this weekend) that work well without structure and the same experiences to grow.
  • Adverts are inconsequential, honestly I say this in every feedback thread, nobody appreciates them so why even have them in the first place - a splash screen is literally all you need.
  • Small things like player name fuck ups can be forgiven, you'll see shit like that in other games too but it's been laughed at in the chat and gone in the blink of an eye.
  • In game quality was actually fine, 720p 60fps is absolutely standard.
The only major problem was the audio issues which I'm speculating was linked to why the stream started late. Super shitty, I just had the sound turned off until it was fixed.

Unfortunately what Halo is missing is competition from tournament organizers. There's no incentive to rise to / push further any bar of quality when you are your only competition.</p>

Just to reply to a couple of points

Yes our casters are good. They are all so strong. Side is a struggle sometimes but i can put up with him for the talent that surrounds him and his love for the game.

Adverts are not inconsequential to the hcs. If we dont want to be dependent on MS for all funding, we need advertising partners to be able to show ads to produce some sort of revenue stream. Games like lol, hearthstone, csgo etc get away with splash screens because they have a large player base but even then i see things like razr ads promoting their product.

Player name fuck ups are fine if they only happen occasionally but damn if this isnt a consistent issue. Even when it is few and far between fans normally get mad about it. Its confusing to a casual observer to not be able to follow povs and aggravating to long time fans to see it keep happening.

Turning off the audio is fine i guess but how much money is spent on casters? How hard do they work to provide a good experience to us. I want to hear them and to turn the audio off for a day is unacceptable. Again it pushes away a casual audience especially when league is running almost flawlessly on another channel.

And we do have TO competition. 343 just refuses to go to them

• Upvote (+1) 1

How many hour till the stream starts ??

30 minutes I believe.

Edit: unless they start late again. Then it's who the fuck knows