CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

"(That's) Why I am Playing Reach again" - Tom French.

Don't worry guys we are going to be in great hands now. He gets it, for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Times may have changed nowadays with developer-driven competitive gaming, but back in 2004? Halo fans could've set their own precedent/hype, just like Starcraft fans did with Brood War. 

They did not.

Well duh. Halo tournament's were pretty common in 02/03, but then eoole got excited for Halo 2. Halo 2 had online play and matchmaking. Much easier to get on and practice.

Halo 2 killed competitive CE, not the community.

Smash and Starcraft didn't get sequels for ages compared to CE.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"(That's) Why I am Playing Reach again" - Tom French.

Don't worry guys we are going to be in great hands now. He gets it, for sure.

Maybe he was playing zbns :prayers:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well duh. Halo tournament's were pretty common in 02/03, but then eoole got excited for Halo 2. Halo 2 had online play and matchmaking. Much easier to get on and practice.

Halo 2 killed competitive CE, not the community.

Smash and Starcraft didn't get sequels for ages compared to CE.

I don't see how this absolves the competitive community from what I said. They chose to move on to H2, even though the immediate reaction to H2 from the competitive community was extremely negative. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Speaking of gamer pics, I'm so glad I never changed from my BtH pic.

I don't see how this absolves the competitive community from what I said. They chose to move on to H2, even though the immediate reaction to H2 from the competitive community was extremely negative. 

Because it became "hey can you hop online tonight" instead of "can you bring an xbox and TV over".

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because it became "hey can you hop online tonight" instead of "can you bring an xbox and monitor over".

LANs were a huge part of H2 and H3. My entire life from 2004 to 2007 was LANs every other weekend. 

Regardless, that still doesn't excuse them from anything. Bungie served them a turd and they ate it. You can say "but it was covered in delicious mesquite BBQ sauce", that doesn't really fly with me. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Imagine if Halo went from CE to H4 with absolutely no dev support. That's smash

this makes a lot more sense. over the period of 12+ years the die hard halo fans were slowly getting screwed so its no wonder we didnt stick to h1

we kept saying "they'll get it right next time" 

"halo 6 will be better"

:mj:

• Upvote (+1) 3

LANs were a huge part of H2 and H3. My entire life from 2004 to 2007 was LANs every other weekend. 

Regardless, that still doesn't excuse them from anything. Bungie served them a turd and they ate it. You can say "but it was covered in delicious mesquite BBQ sauce", that doesn't really fly with me. 

Well sure, I'm not defending Halo 2. I'm just saying due to the ranking system mixed with online play, it became a better place to see where you stood among the community. Halo 1 you could think you're the best by dominating your mates, but at a tournament you'd get dumped on. Halo 2 you could just play matchmaking.

Yes, LANs are a huge part, but the overwhelming hype of lobbies/matchmaking/parties that were all introduced for the first time ever in Halo 2 made people more inclined to play alongside the progression of ranks.

Again, not defending Halo 2, just explaining the mentality. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because lans at your friend's house is different than traveling across the country with that stuff. All smash needs is one tv and one GameCube to have a tourney.

This is more of an argument to holding mlg to keep older halos on the circuit. If evo didn't pick back up melee few years ago, melee wouldn't be where it is. The players can only take a game so far without TOs keeping the game viable.

Well sure, I'm not defending Halo 2. I'm just saying due to the ranking system mixed with online play, it became a better place to see where you stood among the community. Halo 1 you could think you're the best by dominating your mates, but at a tournament you'd get dumped on. Halo 2 you could just play matchmaking.

Yes, LANs are a huge part, but the overwhelming hype of lobbies/matchmaking/parties that were all introduced for the first time ever in Halo 2 made people more inclined to play alongside the progression of ranks.

Again, not defending Halo 2, just explaining the mentality.

And I'm saying that if that was the choice that the competitive community made, then so be it. But no one forced them to do it - and with how much shit they talked on H2 in the beginning, that's a whole lot of talking and not a lot of walking on their part. 

But this doesn't even need to be confined to H1 - why did they competitive community decide to move from H3 to Reach? 

Because they have no stones. 

Because lans at your friend's house is different than traveling across the country with that stuff. All smash needs is one tv and one GameCube to have a tourney.

I don't remember having to bring a box or TV to a tournament.

This is more of an argument to holding mlg to keep older halos on the circuit. If evo didn't pick back up melee few years ago, melee wouldn't be where it is. The players can only take a game so far without TOs keeping the game viable.

Any TO has to go by fan interest. Competitive Halo players made their choice, and it's not a choice I'm necessarily surprised at - I've long held that the competitive community for Halo has a whole lot of flakes in it.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

this makes a lot more sense. over the period of 12+ years the die hard halo fans were slowly getting screwed so its no wonder we didnt stick to h1

we kept saying "they'll get it right next time" 

"halo 6 will be better"

:mj:

There was also a 7 year gap between Melee and Brawl where the scene developed and grew.

• Upvote (+1) 2

havent been paying much attention to csgo, but hearthstone has been smooth. also we are now listed on the dh atlanta page!

https://atlanta.dreamhack.com/17/esport-tournaments/

halo will be on the show floor which sounds like they tried to put it in a pretty prominent area which is awesome

unfortunately if anyone clicks the link for esl's halo page, they are greeted with the world's announcement and world's team info. its still sad to see that site continuously falling behind. @@TheSimms, do you know anyone that could fix the site and put some current info on there?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't remember having to bring a box or TV to a tournament.

I'm referring to your lan smash comment. Smash players kept having their own tourneys because it was cheaper and easier.

Any TO has to go by fan interest. Competitive Halo players made their choice, and it's not a choice I'm necessarily surprised at - I've long held that the competitive community for Halo has a whole lot of flakes in it.

I'm pretty sure evo had a donation page and smash raised the most money. If Mlg had a poll which game to add, I'm sure h2 or h3 could raise a ton of money to get back on.

That said, I do agree console shooter players are more I to the newer things. It does get hard to keep the same game over and over despite needing new systems to play other games.

And I'm saying that if that was the choice that the competitive community made, then so be it. But no one forced them to do it - and with how much shit they talked on H2 in the beginning, that's a whole lot of talking and not a lot of walking on their part. 

But this doesn't even need to be confined to H1 - why did they competitive community decide to move from H3 to Reach? 

Because they have no stones. 

i honestly have no idea how that transitioned worked but i assumed the switch between games was something bungie and microsoft pushed to sell more games. did mlg have a choice in that or was that part of an agreement with bungie to use their game on the circuit? i only ask because from what i understand 343 gave mlg a cease and desist and thats part of why mlg dropped halo