CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Why am I hoping Ace is going to start some sort of pro player strike in a twitter war to demand better settings.

Why am I hoping Ace is going to start some sort of pro player strike in a twitter war to demand better settings.

I've been wishing for this for a long time.

• Upvote (+1) 5

But the casual crowd believes they are catering the competitive community's wants and desires in gameplay. They tried to force both groups into the same group. It just doesn't work. People want an Arena like playlist, with radar, with forge maps, with new maps. Comp players want an Arena like playlist with no radar, no autos, no dlc maps, maybe forge, maybe other modified settings. Neither side is being represented in what should be the definitive core playlist. It's a hybrid that pleases very few. 

The people who like to pickup and play this game casually don't play this game. My friends fled the scene within a week or two maybe. They couldn't play at my rank, and hated feeling responsible for losing. That is not a casual setting at all. I know they have a social list now, whether or not that actually works I have no idea. I left after accomplishing what I set out to do, because I had no friends left wanting to play. 

H3/Reach populations were just fine serving both sides of the coin. 

Referring to the "core" settings as casual, since that is the general consensus between casual/competitive. And there are people that love the shit out of Infection. Don't tell me you didn't get to experience the fun that it was in H2. 

I like this post. I understand (to a point) 343i's initial desire to have a more or less unified experience so that people could play and watch the same core game. But I think this still allows for some flexibility, as it did in H3. Part of the reason that H3 worked so well in my opinion is that the competitive mechanics were simplified versions of the 'casual' mechanics for the most part. It wasn't confusing to watch because everyone could recognized common elements of the game, and the core stuff that was tweaked was really behind the scenes (damage and movement buffs). Also Bungie and MLG did a great job of communicating why certain weapons/equipment options were removed from competitive. Clearly, this degree of difference didn't hurt or ruin the competitive scene. Though let's not pretend there weren't butthurt contingents back then too.

Like I said, I understand 343i's impulse, but I think the last few years have shown that their grand unification hasn't quite worked. Right now, their desire to put everyone in the same box just stinks of fear -- fear that if they didn't do that, their population numbers would drop. Ironically I think they have that backwards, especially now that there's a fairly healthy competitive community again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do people think Halo 5 is that bad? It has its issues, but I still think it's considerably better than any phase of Halo 4 and Reach before V7.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I even like it more than Halo 3 (granted I played very little of the MLG settings of Halo 3 so maybe that's why).

Do people really hate Halo 5 that much?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Props to Ace for cutting loose on what he's thinking. I know the pros can be more reserved for fear of backlash or whatever so it's cool to see him speaking out. Whether or not his claim about Halo 4 4v4 vs. Halo 5 is what he really thinks, there's no denying that there is some shock value in what he said haha.

Do people think Halo 5 is that bad? It has its issues, but I still think it's considerably better than any phase of Halo 4 and Reach before V7.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I even like it more than Halo 3 (granted I played very little of the MLG settings of Halo 3 so maybe that's why).

Halo 4 pro settings were way better. Even starts, better Weapon balance, and the biggest thing of all, A GOOD AIMING SYSTEM.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

It's not a bad game, it just isn't a good Halo game.

I don't know anyone personally that still plays or talks about Halo unless we reference pre-343 days. Maybe that's just me, but it's been like that for years now.

In a student house where all but one (five of six) of us played Halo on the 360 days, I'm the only one who carried on after 4, all stating it doesnt feel the same after 3/Reach.

If ESL/343 dont release some sort of statement regarding the Halo WC venue then I have no hope that they make changes to competitive settings.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This seems to not be the norm, but me and my friends play Halo 5 more than we have any other Halo. Not that that means I think it's the best or anything, but I do think it's a ton of fun and I constantly find myself wanting to play. Of course we are just casuals and the highest I can ever get is like low-onyx so that may be one of the reasons some of the complaints people have on here don't bother me as much. My main two complaints are over powered autos and the horrid matching system.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If ESL/343 dont release some sort of statement regarding the Halo WC venue then I have no hope that they make changes to competitive settings.

It's such a catch 22, I don't want the event drama to keep going but I don't want it swept under the rug.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's such a catch 22, I don't want the event drama to keep going but I don't want it swept under the rug.

Exactly, just something to let us know that they know they messed up big time.

On another note if 343 removes AR primary, I wonder how long it will take to stop the switching weapon habit right as you spawn?

Thanks for all three of you guys clearing it up, seriously. @@Apoll0 I think that might have been what confused me and I was also pretty certain Gears had true LAN support. Sad that they removed an absolute staple of not only competitive Halo, but just fun with your friends Halo. Not having split screen shit all over the latter already, but no LAN support is like dumping a container of salt on a very large open wound. God damn this company.

With respect to Halo 5, the other limitations to consider may be the CPU/GPU and time. 343 was dedicated to developing a 60fps title at high resolution with relatively weak hardware, on top of offering high quality netcode that works on dedicated servers. If the hardware was stronger, it would be relatively easy to use past Halo's netcode as a building block for LAN in H5 but that would likely have taken too much time to optimize for performance on xbox one. Plus 343 probably doesn't mind having a monopoly on the LAN scene.

Tripppey just said on stream that he doesn't know his team plans yet, so he definitely left ex-Allegiance (edit: which he tweeted a couple weeks ago) and also hasn't yet found a new team

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Aside from the OP, most of those comments show a lot of upset Halo players. OP was probably posted by a Greenskull alt.

Fuck you 343 fix MCC

lol

• Upvote (+1) 3

holy shit.  Ogre2 was just down by something absurd like 20 kills in H:CE on MCC playing a 1 v 2 and came back to win 50 to 49.

Probably because he was using the no skill OP pistol

Proving Grounds shows they're at least willing to move away from the dumb pipe dream of universal settings so maybe. Personally I would also rather a nerf, but I don't care as long as something is done.

Also I agree with @@My Namez BEAST, the BR is way too easy and also needs a nerf or be removed. Honestly the only rifle I can stand is the LR.

I think at this point the "hey just remove this for a single playlist please?" Is a lot easier sell than "rebalance this entire class of weapons everywhere so they fit in the sandbox properly" and is quicker to execute.

• Upvote (+1) 1