CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I wouldn't place Str8 that low just because they show up at LAN. I also think Cryptik or El Town's team are probably gonna beat EG for that number 8 spot. CP I'm conflicted on. They did really well at Vegas but lackluster at Worlds. I also have no clue how the new team is going to work. Either way Daytona is gonna be pretty hype. Can't wait.

I haven't seen new Str8 on LAN yet but they could place t4 easy too my 4-8 could really be scrambled depending on how everyone plays. I'm excited to see how new Str8, LG, and Splyce preform on LAN

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why do we have to fight?

If not everyone agrees with our personal opinion then we have the insult them until they do.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Oh gosh, I haven't been here in months and skimming the last few pages showed me its business as usual in this thread...lol

• Upvote (+1) 7

Oh gosh, I haven't been here in months and skimming the last few pages showed me its business as usual in this thread...lol

Eh when there's no tourneys or roster swaps, what else are we supposed to talk about?

Settings and 343 hate are the go tos.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Would also like to add that everyone hated h3 back in the day. Everyone was complainng about the bullet spread and how much better h2 was.

I think people complained about h3 more then people have complained about h5. When h6 comes out everyone will probably complain about it as well

Well, two things. H3 WAS (and still is) worse than H2, so it's not like they were wrong. And of course H3 was complained about more than H5. There were way more people playing it and the previous 2 games were incredible (instead of, you know, shit). Set the bar low with garbage like pre-NBNS Reach and H4 and drive away dedicated fans with MCC and it's hardly surprising when the remaining customers expect less out of the next game.

​So, what's your point exactly? People complain. Because there are things to complain about. And? Should people just pretend everything is flawless and live happily ever after in their fantasy bubble? Is advocating for better games unreasonable in some way?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I haven't seen new Str8 on LAN yet but they could place t4 easy too my 4-8 could really be scrambled depending on how everyone plays. I'm excited to see how new Str8, LG, and Splyce preform on LAN

Splyce and LG are both gonna wreck imo. Renegade seemed off at worlds but he's usually pretty insane on LAN. And slaying is so important in H5. Picking up Trippey in place of El Town gives LG the boost in that department that they need as well.

Str8 is a little more of a question mark just because I don't know how Danoxide will fit in with them.

so you;re literally equating the quantity of movement options in H5 to quality?

just because I can have more movement options, doesn't mean the gameplay has depth, if anything I attribute depth to something that seems simple but can be incredibly complex. 

Piggybacking this for @@Hazardous Metal

Depth vs Complexity is something a lot of people get wrong.

Rock Paper Scissors has Depth.  Even though there are only 3 options, it creates a huge level of trying to read your opponent and what his moves will be based off previous rounds.  Still, the game at its core is EXTREMELY simple.

Then there's a system like Pokémon's types.  There are 18 types.  Some are strong against many, some aren't strong against any.  Some aren't able to damage others at all.  Even though there's a ton of depth to it...there's also a ton of complexity...and not as much depth as there would APPEAR to be.  It ultimately becomes where any given type only has like 5-6 meaningful interactions even though there are 18 different possible interactions.

Using another example from Pokemon...

Held Items are simple, but they have plenty of depth.  You can bluff things with Choice items or turn an otherwise offensive pokemon into a pseudo-tank with something like Leftovers.  But it's very simple.

Then there's obsessive complexity when you get into EVs, IVs, et cetera which are hidden behind walls of vague numbers and can be very difficult to actually manage if you don't have any idea what you're doing.  There's a lot of hurdles (less these days than previously) to set up a perfect Pokémon in terms of its stats.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Can someone post updated rosters for the top teams??? 

oh god, accidental downvote, sorry :(

I actually want to see updated rosters too haha

• Upvote (+1) 1

oh god, accidental downvote, sorry :(

I actually want to see updated rosters too haha

IT's alright. I just don't know what changes have been made since worlds. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you want to split hairs, by all means go ahead.  

Scrolled through the listed definitions until you found one that happens to use "complexity," but failed to notice that the two cherry-picked definitions are STILL not equivalent? Good work living up to my expectations.

I don't like Extra Credits much, but this video is good and should help you grasp the distinction better than looking up random dictionary definitions of words.

Complexity is memorizing a bunch of words in a dictionary. Depth is understanding how to use them effectively in a variety of contexts.

P.S Remove the formatting next time you pointlessly copy-paste from a dictionary. Christ.

• Upvote (+1) 7

snip

The general gist of what you're saying is what I was getting at, anyhow.  There is a level of complexity/depth/whatever you want to define it as in Halo 5 that wasn't there before.  Some people think it is fluff that bloats the combat, others think it enhances the game in beneficial way.  Clearly many people on this particular forum align with the former, and I align with the latter. Neither of those stances are wrong and I don't know why the discussion got so out of control. :P

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Disclaimer: If any of this is inaccurate, blame CyRen. He still hasn't fixed MCC.

OpTic - Same

nV - Same

TL - Same

Str8: Renegade left, running with Danoxide

Splyce: Dropped Falcated, picked up Renegade

LG: Dropped eL ToWn, picked up Trippey

EG: Dropped Contra/Ogre 2, picked up Naded/Falcated

CP: Naded Left/Dropped? / Danoxide left, Picked up Spartan/Suspector

How's Reality Check doing?

More on topic but the descion to not have an Org for worlds is really biting CP in the ass right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach didn't even have thrust. (And don't you dare hate on evade, that shit was lit)

Thrust was nerfed Evade.

Evade was broooooooooken OP -- and even more crazy when you found the spots.  If there was ever the tiniest bump Evade would send you flying high.  I remember some 1v1 video where the player evaded from flag to top mid and his head was scraping the ceiling as he soared out and 5'd the opponent top mid.

• Upvote (+1) 2

snip

Why are you being so confrontational?  I didn't cherry pick anything, I just googled both words and posted their definitions.  I wasn't trying to be as anally specific as you're being, I just wanted to point out that they are in the same ball park.  I will definitely watch that video because if I'm wrong on this I don't mind admitting that and would love to be educated.  

Can confirm, I literally quit halo cause I hated h3

Me too. Within a year I was done. I even went to meadowlands 08 on Sunday to spectate and thought it was the most boring thing imaginable. Didn't even follow mlg after that.

I'd much rather watch and play h5 than h3.

• Upvote (+1) 7

IT's alright. I just don't know what changes have been made since worlds. 

Just a quick addition to @@TiberiusAudley's post. The two "AM" teams that I could see breaking into top 8 are

Cryptik - Ryanoob, Contra, Nemassist, Dastroyed

Leftovers - El Town, Commonly, Prototype, Predevonator

• Upvote (+1) 2

Disclaimer: If any of this is inaccurate, blame CyRen. He still hasn't fixed MCC.

OpTic - Same

nV - Same

TL - Same

Str8: Renegade left, running with Danoxide

Splyce: Dropped Falcated, picked up Renegade

LG: Dropped eL ToWn, picked up Trippey

EG: Dropped Contra/Ogre 2, picked up Naded/Falcated

CP: Naded Left/Dropped? / Danoxide left, Picked up Spartan/Suspector

I think el town left before he got dropped