CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Casual reminder that when Halo Reach launched, the only Non-Forge World disc map that was actually playable in competitive 4v4s was Countdown.

Powerhouse was an Asymm with a ton of extra space.

Boardwalk was too big for 4v4s.

The Cage and Asylum were Forge maps...one Awful, one heavily fucked by frame issues.

Reflection was a remake of a map that was bad for competitive 4v4s.

ZEALOT HAD LOW GRAVITY OUTER SPACE COMBAT

Boardwalk and Swordbase are the worst maps ever made in any game. Bungie got the credit for that piece of shit.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

CP-Cryptik scrim ended 7-5 CP. Guess Contra is now on Cryptik.

Wouldn't surprise me if both cryptik and Devon's team made top8

Boardwalk and Swordbase are the worst maps ever made in any game. Bungie got the credit for that piece of shit.

Chiron TL-34 is a thing that Bungie made.

Boarding Action is a thing that Bungie made.

Backwash is a thing that Bungie made.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I wouldn't blame Reach for the death of the series. It was a side project that was generally well received as a Halo game and once they fixed it, the competitive settings were good too.

Halo 4 being total ass is what signed the series' death warrant.

9xPEUCx.png

Reach definately shoulders some blame. It did just well enough to convince 343/ms that change was good. But it's inability to compete with new shooters shoulda been a sign that MP was going the wrong way.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Gemini is far worse than backwash
  • Upvote (+1) 1

How dare you include Boarding action in that list

• Upvote (+1) 7

http://m.imgur.com/9xPEUCx?r

Reach definately shoulders some blame. It did just well enough to convince 343/ms that change was good. But the were there that Halo shoulda stayed true.

You notice how Reach is still #3 until the 343 handoff and CEA and half the playerbase being split being a factor for the game just declining rapidly. They did a poor job with playlist management and didn't care for Reach focusing solely on H4.

Reach was Bungie trying class-based type MP, a pre-Destiny type of fps. It was the start of Halo going downhill, but Halo 4, Xbox One launch, and MCC debacle made sure it wouldn't recover.

You notice how Reach is still #3 until the 343 handoff and CEA and half the playerbase being split being a factor for the game just declining rapidly. They did a poor job with playlist management and didn't care for Reach focusing solely on H4.

Reach was Bungie trying class-based type MP, a pre-Destiny type of fps. It was the start of Halo going downhill, but Halo 4, Xbox One launch, and MCC debacle made sure it wouldn't recover.

Yeah I see all of that, but I also see H3 only dropping to 3rd place 3 times in 3 years. Reach, killed H3s population by virtue of being new, and the "success" of its class based MP gave 343 solice that their approach was correct, despite Reach new formula having much more trouble against the rest of the market.

Reach's position started tanking months before CEA, and CEA was hardly a blip in the radar in terms of its impact on the Reach population.

Of course they would focus more on 4 than Reach, as it was a new game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean Boardwalk wasn't so bad for more casual gametypes. I enjoyed the map for snipers and the headhunter mode.

I thought maps couldn't get much worse than Reach in a Halo title, overall.

Boy was I wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I mean Boardwalk wasn't so bad for more casual gametypes. I enjoyed the map for snipers and the headhunter mode.

I thought maps couldn't get much worse than Reach in a Halo title, overall.

Boy was I wrong.

Do you actually believe that Swordbase is better than any H5 maps.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I see all of that, but I also see H3 only dropping to 3rd place 3 times in 3 years. Reach, killed H3s population by virtue of being new, and the "success" of its class based MP gave 343 solice that their approach was correct, despite Reach new formula having much more trouble against the rest of the market.

Reach's position started tanking months before CEA, and CEA was hardly a blip in the radar in terms of its impact on the Reach population.

Of course they would focus more on 4 than Reach, as it was a new game.

No I mean they promised things like playlist consolidation but ended up removing things like Squad Slayer. Popular forgers said they wouldn't really allow updates to their maps like they wanted, turned BTB into all heavies, and also continued with the MLG neglect. Bungie was officially done with Reach with the first map pack and then Bungie day 2011, and after that Reach just tanked, especially after CEA and the split playerbase.

I do agree Bungie is also to blame, but as a studio created solely to ensure Halo succeeds and one that no longer wanted Halo, 343 gets the lion share here with H4.

I promised myself in 2010 that I'd never let this sentiment go unchallenged.

Default Reach was terrible. NBNS settings came when the game had already hemorrhaged a huge portion of the playerbase to CoD.

Default reach was terrible competitively. Most casuals couldnt care less about bloom or sprint.

Anyone who thinks Reach was a solid game at launch and that Bungie can come back and fix Halo is shilling. I'm sorry, but I can in no way defend that hot garbage, despite my favorite squad of all time being from that era. NBNS was good, but that was it. Bungie was the developer to start fucking over Halo, before 343 even got their hands on it.

Don't think anyone said Bungie can save Halo. But I would take Reach gameplay over H4 gameplay again, despite how much I hated armor lock and bloom. We didn't have personal ordnance, killcams, instant respawn, no red x on death, even shittier abilities like promethean vision. Plus Reach had working file shares, forge (despite all the gray could create maps and share with ease), etc.

Bungie has shown with Destiny PvP they are incapable of returning to what made Halo MP so great. But to blame Reach for what Halo is now? Nah, H4, MCC and 343 need to own it now.

Don't think anyone said Bungie can save Halo. But I would take Reach gameplay over H4 gameplay again, despite how much I hated armor lock and bloom. We didn't have personal ordnance, killcams, instant respawn, no red x on death, even shittier abilities like promethean vision. Plus Reach had working file shares, forge (despite all the gray could create maps and share with ease), etc.

Bungie has shown with Destiny PvP they are incapable of returning to what made Halo MP so great. But to blame Reach for what Halo is now? Nah, H4, MCC and 343 need to own it now.

Halo CE was an accident, Bungie's idea of MP is smg starts.
  • Upvote (+1) 7

OR different people worked on those games.

Yeah the accident was their employees, literally they made 3 games after and their default idea was shit.

Yeah the accident was their employees, literally they made 3 games after and their default idea was shit.

It was shit to the competitive community. It was godly to the rest hence the insane sales. But no, CE wasn't an accident. It was for the most part all intentional. It's like saying SSBM was an accident.

Reach had barely less players than Halo 3, had an awesome campaign, the largest and best variety of game modes + offline modes, and great competitive settings toward the end of its lifespan.

Reach had armour lock, sprint, jet pack, bloom, no ranks, assassinations, sword base and at the end of its lifespan there was no one playing unless you wanted to play big team heavies - indoors!

• Downvote (-1) 1