CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

My problem with slayer is that it's only ever exciting to watch in the last minute or so of a close game.

If it's not a close match it's boring throughout.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't really think slayer is boring I just think the settings thus far in H5 have emphasized snowballing and the radar did a good job of highlighting everything that can be mechanically bad and unexciting to watch in a Halo game. Cut down on a shit load of aim assist outside of the magnum, fix the weapons, remove rifles, and fix radar and slayer would be a lot more exciting to watch immediately if you can at least appreciate the mechanical skill of the players rather than just the last minute. They've attempted a lot of the above so its getting better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Has anyone tested a 3-5 second spawn for slayer?

That would probably eliminate a lot of the snowballing since you won't have time to kill someone and then sprint across the map to where they spawn, before they actually spawn.

Has anything about spawn times actually been looked at besides for 343 giving some viewer experience excuse or uniform playing experience excuse? Seems ridiculous that you can get an overkill on coli flag while standing on their flag and still die while pulling

• Upvote (+1) 6

Has anyone tested a 3-5 second spawn for slayer?

That would probably eliminate a lot of the snowballing since you won't have time to kill someone and then sprint across the map to where they spawn, before they actually spawn.

Has anything about spawn times actually been looked at besides for 343 giving some viewer experience excuse or uniform playing experience excuse? Seems ridiculous that you can get an overkill on coli flag while standing on their flag and still die while pulling

I mean it is crazy on some maps. I've gotten a killtac on that exact map more than once and we still didn't cap the flag. I've also gotten a killtrocity on Coli and they rallied a flag cap back to their base in the middle of it anyways but that was probably more on the rest of my team than anything.

I mean it is crazy on some maps. I've gotten a killtac on that exact map more than once and we still didn't cap the flag. I've also gotten a killtrocity on Coli and they rallied a flag cap back to their base in the middle of it anyways but that was probably more on the rest of my team than anything.

I think an extra couple seconds to spawn on Fathom flag would keep most games from ending at the time limit....or tied after ovetime. 

Slayer will always be game 5 and 7

If you don't like slayer you don't like FPS

Or you just like the gameplay provided by having winning conditions other than "die less", since that incentives sitting still.

It also doesnt help that the realities of h5s sandbox dont suit slayer well at all.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Slayer isn't egregiously bad enough to fuck with the foundation of competitive Halo by removing it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Fact 1 - slayer isnt going anywhere :(

Fact 2 - it should never be played 3 times in a series. 7 game series just play it game 4 and 7.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Im cool with game 5/7 slayer. The fact that it's a must win creates enough tension to cut through any of the otherwise boring moments.

It really sucks when you see a game 7 snowball out of control though. At least strongholds and CTF leave open the possibility for epic comebacks.

I just which we had more competitive gametypes. I know they just can't figure out assault, but I don't understand why we don't have King and odd ball.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You can't have the first slayer match be game 5. Needs to be at the latest game 4 or a team can get 4-0'd without having played slayer.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You can't have the first slayer match be game 5. Needs to be at the latest game 4 or a team can get 4-0'd without having played slayer.

Hmm interesting point

what is the worse scenario from a competitive standpoint?

1) a team getting 4-0'd without playing a shitty h5 slayer

2) a team winning 4-3 but 3 of their wins are shitty h5 slayer

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hmm interesting point

what is the worse scenario from a competitive standpoint?

1) a team getting 4-0'd without playing a shitty h5 slayer

2) a team winning 4-3 but 3 of their wins are shitty h5 slayer

can I get a less shitty 3rd option
  • Upvote (+1) 4

I just which we had more competitive gametypes. I know they just can't figure out assault, but I don't understand why we don't have King and odd ball.

I miss the old objective gametypes where you had to put yourself at some sort of disadvantage to score. Whether it was essentially being down to 3 players in order to hold/capture (Oddball/pre flagnum CTF) an objective or having a player locked in one location in order to score (KOTH). I feel like Extraction was popular for the same reason.

I don't mind Strongholds I just think KOTH was better (Bring Back Pit KOTH 2009)

The Flagnum can fuck off though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here are two posts about slayer made by two legends

NOTE: these are facts, not opinions.

I find it funny that I've always said Oddball and KoTH were my two favorite Halo gametypes of all time and those are the two that aren't in the game. When those get introduced back into Halo I'd love to see Slayer get replaced until we can Forge some really good Slayer maps because I don't think any map we have right now plays Slayer particularly well.

slayer should've been removed since h2

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Slayer really only shines in smaller player formats such as 2v2 and 1v1. While objective game types can be fun to play and watch in a 4v4 format to a certain extent I personally prefer to play and watch Halo 1 2v2 team slayer because I find it more enjoyable. I hope that the next iteration of Halo puts more of an emphasis on smaller player formats such as 2v2, 1v1, and 3v3 because I honestly find 4v4 in Halo boring to play and watch. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

can I get a less shitty 3rd option

"Back by popular demand and a passion for balanced competitive integrity, Infinity Slayer is now a gametype in the HCS. In fact, it's all the gametypes."

• Upvote (+1) 2

Slayer really only shines in smaller player formats such as 2v2 and 1v1. While objective game types can be fun to play and watch in a 4v4 format to a certain extent I personally prefer to play and watch Halo 1 2v2 team slayer because I find it more enjoyable. I hope that the next iteration of Halo puts more of an emphasis on smaller player formats such as 2v2, 1v1, and 3v3 because I honestly find 4v4 in Halo boring to play and watch. 

I still hold firmly the belief that Slayer is the best 2v2 mode only because nearly every objective mode forces you to more or less be a man down for a given amount of time. Shame Extraction has been locked to Halo 4 and nobody has scripted it for 5, because Doubles Extraction was the shit.

I haven't liked Slayer for a long time, but I think it still has a place. IMO we only need 4 slayer maps (OBJ/OBJ/TS/OBJ/TS for Bo5 and OBJ/OBJ/OBJ/TS/OBJ/OBJ/TS for Bo7, that way you don't have to replay TS maps in a Bo7 reset, you play TS for elimination games, and you can't finish a series without a TS), and we need a new objective mode to fill out the remaining gametypes.

We can get really close to Extraction with scripting, but either you'd have your gun up the entire time (implementing with Strongholds hills) or you'd have to hold an objective the entire time (implementing using the assault bomb or the flagnum).

Oddball and KOTH both have problems with the combination of faster re-spawns and faster movement. Leading to lower scoring games than in the past. I don't think that's inherently bad, but there is probably some adjusting that needs to be done with score-to-win unless 343 becomes open to slower re-spawns in OBJ.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not really.

Gears of War doesn't have slayer in comp.

CoD doesn't have slayer in comp.

CS:GO doesn't have slayer in comp.

Overwatch doesn't have slayer in comp IIRC.

Rainbow Six: Siege doesn't have slayer in comp.

I think it's telling that no other fps game that I can think of has a competitive game mode where the objective is the most basic part of all of the games (shooting/getting kills). If it was to be played alongside side slayer, I think it would be too similar if a game mode. Imo extermination is better (keep in mind I haven't played it) because it is basically slayer with an objective.

Does the reapawn time increase each time you die in extermination. Cause I feel if it doesn't, at a high level the objective involved could become too random to be a good competitive game type

• Upvote (+1) 2

Changing respawn times could help so many things in this game. 10 second objective would fix assault and help with flag standoffs.

I think it's telling that no other fps game that I can think of has a competitive game mode where the objective is the most basic part of all of the games (shooting/getting kills). If it was to be played alongside side slayer, I think it would be too similar if a game mode. Imo extermination is better (keep in mind I haven't played it) because it is basically slayer with an objective.

Does the reapawn time increase each time you die in extermination. Cause I feel if it doesn't, at a high level the objective involved could become too random to be a good competitive game type

Nope. Once you're dead, it's a 15 second respawn. 

What about this idea, instead of making slayer a 50 kill limit you make it an unlimited kill limit with a time limit of 12 or 15 minutes. You'd see more strategic gameplay and some serious statting. 

Edit: Also get rid of rig & eden slayer. Slayer shouldn't be a played on an asymmetrical map.