CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

343 is like the new boss who comes in and changes things just to change things. Surely at this point they have nothing to lose when the entire competitive community is asking for a change.

I get so frustrated thinking where we could be if we weren't held back by stubborn developers. I think this is our last chance to save Halo because if the changes don't happen now, I doubt they will ever happen for H5 and for any new games. It's really a crucial time. I'd love to see us organize and campaign, as dramatic as that sounds.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

For sure they make mistakes in other games but they do not average ESLOne Jiffy Lube. Even MLG events back in the day always had issues. I'm not sure if they had a single Halo event that didn't have technical difficulties. Difference obviously being that streaming was much more difficult back then. What we get for Halo these days is bad compared to almost anything else they do

They do better than that for CSGO on average for sure, but they also care about CSGO because that is their main source of income.

The reason this event was such a shitshow is the higher ups at ESL do not care about this game and 343 is far too dependent on ESL to run HCS. ESL won't ever drop us because 343 is still paying the bills. 343 will never drop ESL because they can't run HCS on their own with the team of 4-5 horribly unqualified people that they do have. They have also invested a ton of money with ESL to build Halo. They can't just chop and change their main operator at this point unless they completely shut down HCS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bungie pretty much accidentally made games that were perfect for esports (except Reach). 343 is trying to make a game that's the perfect esport and failing horribly. Shows how incompetent 343 is really.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can only assume that each launcher on the left arm is actually a silenced AR

Probably. It comes with the tactical option to crouch as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bungie pretty much accidentally made games that were perfect for esports (except Reach). 343 is trying to make a game that's the perfect esport and failing horribly. Shows how incompetent 343 is really.

Did they though?

Neither Halo 2 nor 3 used the base game settings for competitive.

Whilst Halo 5's standard settings certainly aren't ideal they're still fairly competitive. I'd take radar and powerful autos over SMG starts any day.

• Upvote (+1) 3

still cant believe nothing has been said about the weekend

I'm fine with 343/ESL taking the time to craft a very carefully worded statement.  They've already shown what poor planning gets them.  The immediate community and the gaming sphere at large is ready to burst over a half-assed, deflated apology. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm fine with 343/ESL taking the time to craft a very carefully worded statement. They've already shown what poor planning gets them. The immediate community and the gaming sphere at large is ready to burst over a half-assed, deflated apology.

Yup. If you don't have anything to say, it's better to say nothing than some half assed statement. Of course it's even better to say you're looking into it and ask for patience, but hey this is 343

You're in for a treat with Andromeda..

(Mass Effects 1-3 were goats btw, don't care about ending - still an amazing series overall)

I was thinking of bugs like MCC that crashed you to desktop every 20 minutes but jesus that looks bad.  I read that the game was not very good compared to prior games or DA: Inquisition but damn.

I'm sorry, but this is too vulgar and grammatically incorrect, and thus, I cannot see reason.

Please rewrite this so it lines up with my lack of sensibility, thank you.

lol i see what you did there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yup. If you don't have anything to say, it's better to say nothing than some half assed statement. Of course it's even better to say you're looking into it and ask for patience, but hey this is 343

You guys really think anything going to be said? I mean the Ace blog post was surprising but with all the group thank you pictures it doesn't seem like they feel anything went wrong.

I'd hate to see the event written off as "haters gonna hate" instead of seeing the actual issues that went on. The entire gaming community mocked the community this weekend for a reason, I hope they understand why.

• Upvote (+1) 9

This is out of left park, but I wonder if 343i picked ESL because they wouldn't want to change their settings? They know MLG has a history of changing the base game and that scared them.

I wouldn't say that's leftfield at all

HWC 2017 5th-8th Stats

Splyce:

PGro1MJ.jpg

Luminosity:

wTUQon9.jpg

Crowd Pleasers:

63OmjnK.jpg

FabE:

zp8Pm29.jpg

Interesting Splyce ended all positive. And Jimbo got destroyed.

After playing a few games of Proving Grounds, I like it. But no radar would definitely be a better option in my opinion.

It'd work if they removed spartan charge but we know 343 can't do that since admitting failure when it comes to game design isn't apart of their vocabulary.

doesn't all of this type of discussion belong in the H5 thread ... ?  

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 8

doesn't all of this type of discussion belong in the H5 thread ... ?

It's fine since we don't have an official announcement for the details of the upcoming pro league seasons or anything like that.

You guys really think anything going to be said? I mean the Ace blog post was surprising but with all the group thank you pictures it doesn't seem like they feel anything went wrong.

I'd hate to see the event written off as "haters gonna hate" instead of seeing the actual issues that went on. The entire gaming community mocked the community this weekend for a reason, I hope they understand why.

Ace has a blog?

The reason this event was such a shitshow is the higher ups at ESL do not care about this game and 343 is far too dependent on ESL to run HCS. ESL won't ever drop us because 343 is still paying the bills. 343 will never drop ESL because they can't run HCS on their own with the team of 4-5 horribly unqualified people that they do have. They have also invested a ton of money with ESL to build Halo. They can't just chop and change their main operator at this point unless they completely shut down HCS.

My bet for Worlds is that 343/Microsoft didn't put much into it at all (beyond prize money) and that comparatively ESL invested more than we think they did because of what we saw. 

My biggest suggestion is that there's probably a decent amount of money coming in from REQ sales and while bigger prize pools are always going to draw people in they don't mean much when your event is lacklustre. Look at how little people gave a shit about the million dollar prize pool in comparison to how much they cared about the event quality (minus the overall solid production quality).

If I was at 343 I'd be heavily suggesting that money entering into the prize pool be redistributed to event experience. Better venues, vendors and marketing to name a few things. You can hold as many events you want with 100k+ prize pools but if they continue to turn out like Worlds people are going to continue to focus entirely on the lack of quality and others will wonder how a game with decent prize money doesn't have the money to hold medium to large scale events.

Did they though?

Neither Halo 2 nor 3 used the base game settings for competitive.

Whilst Halo 5's standard settings certainly aren't ideal they're still fairly competitive. I'd take radar and powerful autos over SMG starts any day.

Let's just say that the vanilla settings for Halo 2 and 3 as well as vanilla Halo 5 are utter shit. The difference is the competitive scene was allowed to utilize the custom options in H2 and H3 to make the game more competitively viable whereas H5 utilitizes like 1% of the ability it has and retains it's dogshit competitive viability. SMG starts were the thing in H2 because there was no AR, but both starting weapons were/are pisspoor. When you look at competitive Halo 2 or Halo 3 settings vs. Halo 5 it's not even a discussion, let alone a close comparison.

EDIT: To maintain discussion about the upcoming season, what is the likelihood of additional gametypes being included? I understand that settings would have to be tweaked, thus putting it at a less than zero percent chance of happening, but still. Why is it we can't have slayer, KoTH, Oddball, Assault, and CTF? That's 5 gametypes, or sub in shitty strongholds for KoTH. Whatever floats your boat. I liked the old variety in gametypes. It was always exciting to watch (and play) various gametypes in a respawn game.

You're in for a treat with Andromeda..

(Mass Effects 1-3 were goats btw, don't care about ending - still an amazing series overall)

loved 1-3. i like me:a. changes to the menu, equipment system (you cant change equipment in the field...wtf), when you can and cant save, dialogue are not good. it feels like ea's involvement hampered the development of the game in the same way destiny's story was "we'll tell you after you grind forever and buy destiny 2." male ryder is much better done than female ryder.

who knows. maybe this game is truly a steaming turd, but after putting up with 343 for so long, my bar of what's good and not has been lowered significantly