CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

3 maps as in competitive, unless you count Relic with Dan Anouyb.

but yea good looking maps for sure, not sure what's with that comment

Halo-2-Anniversary-Sanctuary-Gameplay-4.

So what kept 343 from maintaining this level of art style and general graphics?
  • Upvote (+1) 3

At 343i:

"What do you guys think about wall-running?"

"What do you think of camo colored spartans instead of red and blue?"

I don't think 343 created the maps. Wasn't it Certain Affinity?

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't think 343 created the maps. Wasn't it Certain Affinity?

Yes, it was. But you'd think they learned something from this.

Only three of the six (or seven) were used for HCS.

That doesn't mean the rest were unplayable though.

It is a bit sad how much better looking the H2A maps are than most of H5's. That said, despite playing pretty badly, some of the DLC maps for 5 are lookers.

Overgrowth, Mercy and Tyrant look awesome.

Maybe but they did have all of bungie's achievements to learn next to nothing from as well. CA is just a speed bump by comparison

Its actually kind of a funny comparison. Both companies were put into a position to attempt to mimic what bungie did and the much smaller one took in bungie's work and learned from it way better than the actual company that runs Halo now

• Upvote (+1) 1

That doesn't mean the rest were unplayable though.

Competitively they were..which is his whole point..in the HCS thread...

• Upvote (+1) 3

We've been hoping they "learned something" for the past 6+ years, yet they keep making ridiculous decisions.

Competitively they were..which is his whole point..in the HCS thread...

yeah not sure why this isn't understood, none of the other maps were viable and as such, we got an extremely repetitive viewing experience and gameplay experience.

As far as art deign, that's just my personal opinion, I always thought H3 looked cleanest. 

At 343i:

"What do you guys think about wall-running?"

I almost negged you on reflex.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Name one thing 343 didn't change in Halo to make their mark. 

The art style, medals (H4 were god awful), the sounds, the announcer (H4 again god awful), web stats (again H4 soooo awful), obviously the game mechanics.. I'm sure there are others. 

I'm surprised they didn't change Master Chief's call sign.. but they sure did try to replace him. 3 missions as the lead character in the H5 campaign. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone saying good competitive settings don't help the game grow are ignorant. I've never played a halo title as little as H5. The settings are a joke and are far from being optimal for competitive. My friends list used to have at least 20 people playing H5 at any time and when I quit playing I was lucky to see two people on. I've played maybe 15 games in the past 6 months and it's all because the settings are trash. How can you expect a game to grow if it can't even retain its most dedicated fanbase?

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd take this art style over whatever is out now

The H3 art style is probably one of the best examples of a clean and good looking play space for an FPS in existence. Everything that matters instantly pops out on the screen no matter where you are. All of the other Halo games are varying degrees of dark or slightly gritty that make it more difficult to see whats going on

• Upvote (+1) 8

DEGFf.jpg

Yeah, this is clean and beautiful to me

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah, this is clean and beautiful to me

giphy.gif

Remember when skilled snipers were hard to come by, and therefore more impressive when aiming for clips?
  • Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I really don't know why people post ESL One Cologne events in here like ESL is doing stuff like that all the time. ESL routinely has some of the worst production in the CSGO scene for events that aren't Cologne, and was recently just passed over for the next major because of it (PGL is putting it on in Poland). They have constant delays, the computers are always bad, the streams are laggy, they miss entire rounds, they always have audio issues. Put the production issues together with their actions in the community with the rules they set and how they treat attendees to events and you'll realize that they are just NOT a good company. I've seen them do far too many shitty things to buy this "Look at this amazing trailer" nonsense.

There is a reason why ELeague and PGL have gotten the last 2 CSGO majors and why everyone wants MLG back to do another one.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I really don't know why people post ESL One Cologne events in here like ESL is doing stuff like that all the time. ESL routinely has some of the worst production in the CSGO scene for events that aren't Cologne, and was recently just passed over for the next major because of it (PGL is putting it on in Poland). They have constant delays, the computers are always bad, the streams are laggy, they miss entire rounds, they always have audio issues. Put the production issues together with their actions in the community with the rules they set and how they treat attendees to events and you'll realize that they are just NOT a good company. I've seen them do far too many shitty things to buy this "Look at this amazing trailer" nonsense.

There is a reason why ELeague and PGL have gotten the last 2 CSGO majors and why everyone wants MLG back to do another one.

For sure they make mistakes in other games but they do not average ESLOne Jiffy Lube. Even MLG events back in the day always had issues. I'm not sure if they had a single Halo event that didn't have technical difficulties. Difference obviously being that streaming was much more difficult back then. What we get for Halo these days is bad compared to almost anything else they do

I think it's harder to advertise a new game with multiplayer since there's no identifiable character the person can relate to. The only games I can think of that advertise primarily multiplayer are titanfall and battlefront for obvious reasons

Even overwatch which is only multiplayer basically made lore-filled cutscenes for ads.  You can (and should) advertise both if your games has both though.

Mass effect Andromeda, fallout, batman Arkham knight...

It really is becoming more and more common. :/

Mass Effect and Fallout didn't have any gamebreaking bugs though?  to be fair, some bugs in giant games like those are unavoidable and forgivable as long as the developers react.  When you have 200 hours of gameplay crammed into a giant game world, you can't QA every possible iteration.  

What is a little worrying after having a more detailed read of the proving grounds feedback thread on waypoint is that many players are under the impression this radar will replace the standard radar in all playlists and because of this are against it.  Im not sure if this was 343s intention or if the communicated it poorly/failed to communicate it (shocking i know).

I think thats part of the purpose of running the test for at least a month.  Hopefully they have learned that there would be a shitstorm if they crammed it in every playlist, square peg/round hole and all that, so they are probably gauging where it should be used.  I have argued multiple times in that thread that it should be used in all ranked playlists, then all social playlists should adopt a standard action 25 meter radar.

Can someone explain to me how sprint is not the problem in Halo for someone that wants it removed entirely from the franchise.

You see if you stretch maps and up BMS, and uhhhh, make the weapons easy to use and well.... you see sprint is good and really ADDs to the gameplay because, objectively well it,,,, uhhh. shitttt.

it makes you feel like a spartan!! yeah thats it! spartans are fast HUZZZUH!!!

nothing.  It just didn't happen.  who knows why.  Honestly i care about gameplay more than anything, so i never really gave a shit about this.  I dont care what it looks like as long as it plays well so i just focus on those aspects.  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

DEGFf.jpg

Same here. I loved that art style.

Also "A game needs to be fun before it's pretty" - Bungie

• Upvote (+1) 9

Mass Effect and Fallout didn't have any gamebreaking bugs though?  to be fair, some bugs in giant games like those are unavoidable and forgivable as long as the developers react.

You're in for a treat with Andromeda..

(Mass Effects 1-3 were goats btw, don't care about ending - still an amazing series overall)

• Upvote (+1) 3

You're in for a treat with Andromeda..

(Mass Effects 1-3 were goats btw, don't care about ending - still an amazing series overall)

1-2 are goats, ending of 3 overshadowed the rest of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You see if you stretch maps and up BMS, and uhhhh, make the weapons easy to use and well.... you see sprint is good and really ADDs to the gameplay because, objectively well it,,,, uhhh. shitttt.

it makes you feel like a spartan!! yeah thats it! spartans are fast HUZZZUH!!!

I'm sorry, but this is too vulgar and grammatically incorrect, and thus, I cannot see reason.

Please rewrite this so it lines up with my lack of sensibility, thank you.

• Upvote (+1) 1