CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

All I know is I saw at least two girls playing (and winning games) at Gears AC. 

idk the team name or the girls name but on saturday (the only day i went for the event) this girl was destroying and she was letting the other team know it for sure. pretty cool to see

I might get negged to death but I don't think the high end competitive community is sexist. 

There simply is not a girl at the level of a top 16 team. Divine Damsel is probably the closest.

The FPL is only hurting girl competitors by keeping them from improving because they are not playing top talent. It would be like EU deciding to never go to Worlds because NA will probably win. They only way I see it being a good thing is newer female players being more comfortable playing there first. 

I would really like to see some top FPL "pros" go to Daytona or Atlanta and see how they place. 

Unpopular opinion I know but just my 2 cents.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Prefacing this post with: This is a legit question I have, honestly curious.

I have been seeing a lot of Female Pro League (I think thats what its called?) stuff lately, or just "Female only" type of eSports stuff. 

My question: Is there a barrier of entry that I am unaware of right now for female players to participate in any current eSports leagues such as the HCS, Call of Duty World League, Gears of War Pro Circuit, etc.? Or is the idea behind this type of thing more a "I think it would be cool if we did (x) kind of league" ?

Not against it by any means, just curious about the thought process behind it, or why people think it is necessary? 

There are no actual barriers preventing women from competing in the HCS (one of the LATAM teams had a girl on it). A CS:GO Female Competitive Player was talking about the gender separation, and she basically said instead of trying to compete with the best players, female pros isolate themselves into different spheres, so that they can at least make some money from Female Pro Leagues over attempting to break into the standard competitive scene and possibly fail. It's kind of like how EU , ANZ, and LATAM teams can't scrim with the best, so they can't really compete with the best. There is obviously a smaller number of competitive women as well. It's interesting to note that Danoxide's gf (Divine Damsel) plays with him a lot and she's definitely the best FPL player.

Here's an article on it: http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/27/5723446/women-in-esports-professional-gaming-riot-games-blizzard-starcraft-lol

• Upvote (+1) 8

Same as chess. Not a lot of women, so there's an attempt to create an environment for them.

This. Halo (and most esports) is primarily a boy's club. There's nothing keeping female players from getting into the HCS, but it's hard to get into any scene where you're the "other." I'm all for it, the more competitions the better IMO. If at any point an FPL team thinks they can compete in the regular league I would hope they'd move.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I might get negged to death but I don't think the high end competitive community is sexist.

There simply is not a girl at the level of a top 16 team. Divine Damsel is probably the closest.

The FPL is only hurting girl competitors by keeping them from improving because they are not playing top talent. It would be like EU deciding to never go to Worlds because NA will probably win. They only way I see it being a good thing is newer female players being more comfortable playing there first.

I would really like to see some top FPL "pros" go to Daytona or Atlanta and see how they place.

Unpopular opinion I know but just my 2 cents.

The competitive community may not be sexist but they're not the problem. It's the general gaming community. It discourages girls from playing the game at all and so there are far fewer potential competitive/pro level players.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There are no actual barriers preventing women from competing in the HCS (one of the LATAM teams had a girl on it). A CS:GO Female Competitive Player was talking about the gender separation, and she basically said instead of trying to compete with the best players, female pros isolate themselves into different spheres, so that they can at least make some money from Female Pro Leagues over attempting to break into the standard competitive scene and possibly fail. It's kind of like how EU , ANZ, and LATAM teams can't scrim with the best, so they can't really compete with the best. There is obviously a smaller number of competitive women as well. It's interesting to note that Danoxide's gf (Divine Damsel) plays with him a lot and she's definitely the best FPL player.

Here's an article on it: http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/27/5723446/women-in-esports-professional-gaming-riot-games-blizzard-starcraft-lol

This

This. Halo (and most esports) is primarily a boy's club. There's nothing keeping female players from getting into the HCS, but it's hard to get into any scene where you're the "other." I'm all for it, the more competitions the better IMO. If at any point an FPL team thinks they can compete in the regular league I would hope they'd move.

You can't get better by isolating yourself. They will stagnate at the top of FPL unless they start going to real HCS open events.

This

You can't get better by isolating yourself. They will stagnate at the top of FPL unless they start going to real HCS open events.

Having a female pro league doesn't hurt though. They can compete in the fpl and go to open events.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Playing in an all-girls league clearly indicates that playing the highest level of competition isn't the main goal. Its all a marketing ploy.

I don't think it works either, I'd be far more interested in female players if they were competing against everyone else going to HCS events. Personally I think the biggest barrier for the girls is that they always form all-girl teams. I'd like to see a girl playing alongside a team of males, because realistically given the gender ratio in eSports that is going to be the best chance at a girl having any sort of success. However I think that goes back to the topic of sexism or stereotypes in regards to being that team that allows a girl to play alongside you seriously.

IDK I think it's a complicated topic, but for sure an interesting one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Having a female pro league doesn't hurt though. They can compete in the fpl and go to open events.

They can. But haven't. I hope they will as thats the only way they will get noticed. Being the top FPL team will not impress top 16 teams.

granted im just some pleb/noob.. ive played my fair share of games with pros (some customs/mm) and yeah i got destroyed... but one of my most vivid ass whoopings was in h2a in some sort of tournament.

it was biitersweet, xo damage, queenx3 and goldengirl and they completely just fucking mopped the floor with us...

i dont know how well they translated to halo 5 from h2a but if they put in the work as a t04, and were equivalent to what they did in h2a... theres no doubt in my mind that those girls could/would be a top 8-16 team

All I know is I saw at least two girls playing (and winning games) at Gears AC. 

I saw a bunch actually. The Coalition actually even had a Girls Fight Night online event for Gears

I didn't see this posted yesterday but Ryanoob's team ended up beating Commonly Devon Falcated and el town in scrims 9-4.

Wow, didn't expect this.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm glad we're discussing this topic, and honestly the best FPL players have a lot of raw talent and could definitely improve and perform well if they started competing against the rest of the competitive scene.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This

Its a circular system isnt it? They arent encourages to play with the guys so they form their own league, they dont play top talent so they cant get better, they arent as good as the guys (as far as we know) so they cant play against them

Its worth pulling from that talent pool and combining those communities. Even of only from an org or advertising perspective, it helps build and strengthen competitive halo

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was told girls like playing without having to deal with sexisy nonsense

And it's a lot easier to land on a good female squad than to be a female and land on a good open squad

The goal is more gaming and less frustration

Separating themselves into separate spheres and not competing with men will only preserve that sort of sexism.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Imo, there's nothing wrong with a female only league, but I do agree that the top females should ALSO try and make it in the "normal" leagues. Being completely isolated will almost definitely result in stagnation.

Separating themselves into separate spheres and not competing with men will only preserve that sort of sexism.

I agree with this 100%. It's just that I legitimately only see a few girls who grind and are good enough to actually make it. Divine Damsel and Bittersweet for example. I can only recall a few occasions at tournaments where there were teams mixed with male and female.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Prefacing this post with: This is a legit question I have, honestly curious.

I have been seeing a lot of Female Pro League (I think thats what its called?) stuff lately, or just "Female only" type of eSports stuff. 

My question: Is there a barrier of entry that I am unaware of right now for female players to participate in any current eSports leagues such as the HCS, Call of Duty World League, Gears of War Pro Circuit, etc.? Or is the idea behind this type of thing more a "I think it would be cool if we did (x) kind of league" ?

Not against it by any means, just curious about the thought process behind it, or why people think it is necessary? 

poker is the same way, there are women's events despite the fact that there's no inherent difference in skill (women actually have a slight advantage in recognizing tells, there was a study on this somewhere).  for SC2 as well, there were women's events.  

in terms of H5, women's events would be basically like EU events ... smaller player pool, can't really compete with the main competitive player base, but it might build the scene.  

I agree with this 100%. It's just that I legitimately only see a few girls who grind and are good enough to actually make it. Divine Damsel and Bittersweet for example. I can only recall a few occasions at tournaments where there were teams mixed with male and female.

Xena and Smiley made it to Top 32 at MLG Dallas 2007 with a mixed team, pretty awesome to see at the time.

-----

In one hand I get why they have the league, in the other doesn't make sense to me if you are actually serious about competing and showing how good you are - but hey if that's your thing I can't hate it. Hope they have fun and there are a lot of great matches because of it. Best of luck to them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Was there not a team at a recentish LAN with 2 female 2 male players. One of the female players was bittersweet but cant remember the name of the other female player

• Upvote (+1) 5