CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

when you log onto twitter to like Ogre 2's engagement announcement only to find out you're blocked by his fiancée and then you spend the next twenty minutes thinking through all your posts, memes, and tweets wondering what you could have done to make the GOAT's soulmate hit you with the swift block

giphy.gif

I went through the same process when I realized @@Bravo had me blocked. I still have no idea why, I'm 99% sure I have never actually had any direct interaction with him on Twitter.

• Upvote (+1) 4

when you log onto twitter to like Ogre 2's engagement announcement only to find out you're blocked by his fiancée and then you spend the next twenty minutes thinking through all your posts, memes, and tweets wondering what you could have done to make the GOAT's soulmate hit you with the swift block

giphy.gif

I could never marry a women that would block you, bro.
  • Upvote (+1) 7

That's not true at all. Pro Leagues work because of the online portion which provides the advertising space to fund the LAN finals. LAN Pro Leagues like ELeague are happy to shit away their TV money because it's essentially peanuts for them, but it's not a smart thing to do unless you've got the money to flush.

Would it be a better spectator experience to have all the teams fly out weekly and play on LAN in person - sure. Would that also be a giant waste of money that could easily be spent elsewhere - definitely.

It comes down to image. ELeague prides itself in treating its players like professionals. They cover costs because they want to set the standard of treating players like professionals. It's a smart thing to do if you want your players to be happy and if you want your brand image to be associated with professionalism and not a bunch of sad balloons. 

I mean, look at how the players talk about the HCS and 343. I bet you if 343 treated its players like professionals and spent the money necessary to push their league above the rest, they'd be doing better.

I wonder if new Str8 doesn't work together amazingly if LG could be top 4. It could still be honeymoon phase or maybe they're not as good on LAN but they have been playing pretty darn good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wonder if new Str8 doesn't work together amazingly if LG could be top 4. It could still be honeymoon phase or maybe they're not as good on LAN but they have been playing pretty darn good.

I was thinking the same thing. LG and Splyce are probably fighting for 4th now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It seems to me to be like a company wide case of the frankie. They look at the forums, find a negative post, then leave and act as if this one post is representative of the whole community and ignore us It seems there is lots of thin skin there to be on a website that historically has problems with 343's development and management.

If i remember they burned you guys on getting H5 prelaunch right? And still dont let you guys post content in their stream downtime. It sucks. They should embrace every part of the community because we're here to help Halo, not hurt it

It comes down to image. ELeague prides itself in treating its players like professionals. They cover costs because they want to set the standard of treating players like professionals. It's a smart thing to do if you want your players to be happy and if you want your brand image to be associated with professionalism and not a bunch of sad balloons. 

I mean, look at how the players talk about the HCS and 343. I bet you if 343 treated its players like professionals and spent the money necessary to push their league above the rest, they'd be doing better.

Mate... They would be doing better in one sense (presentation and probably some viewership increase) but do you really think that amount of money would be justified? Eleague is one of many (4 major) independent Pro Leagues in CSGO all vying for supremacy and when they entered the CSGO scene the game was doing 1.6m concurrent viewers at its peak at the time. It's not a case of build it and they will come, there is a reason these TOs are all involved and pushing the scene forward in scenes like CSGO.

Halo doesn't even have one league looking to support the game outside of those that are developer backed and we are hitting just over the 100k mark at the peak events and when they're not the most prestigious events, especially online, viewership isn't great. I want Halo to succeed as much as the next person but what does unnecessarily stuffing more money into one project achieve apart from sinking the ship faster when the returns don't justify the money put in.

What comp Halo should be doing is what they are doing; growth for less investment (twitter gaming) and getting more TOs involved (Dreamhack) so the game doesn't have to stay centralized.

giphy.gif

Lol, I've had that happen a few times which is impressive considering I rarely ever use my Twitter. It takes a special kind of triggered to seek out someone's Twitter and block them over a forum post. :huh:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Might have something to do with this Incident.

After all who could trust a man that would betray Snakebite, in such a cold and malicious way.

tFhBvON.jpg

GOD DAMNIT.

Snakebite literally won't follow me on Twitter because of this.

:mj:

• Upvote (+1) 5

I just watched Simms vlog from worlds (don't know how I missed it) and it's still funny seeing CP stare down and throw choke signs at Str8 only for them to lose the series.

Mate... They would be doing better in one sense (presentation and probably some viewership increase) but do you really think that amount of money would be justified? Eleague is one of many (4 major) independent Pro Leagues in CSGO all vying for supremacy and when they entered the CSGO scene the game was doing 1.6m concurrent viewers at its peak at the time. It's not a case of build it and they will come, there is a reason these TOs are all involved and pushing the scene forward in scenes like CSGO.

Halo doesn't even have one league looking to support the game outside of those that are developer backed and we are hitting just over the 100k mark at the peak events and when they're not the most prestigious events, especially online, viewership isn't great. I want Halo to succeed as much as the next person but what does unnecessarily stuffing more money into one project achieve apart from sinking the ship faster when the returns don't justify the money put in.

What comp Halo should be doing is what they are doing; growth for less investment (twitter gaming) and getting more TOs involved (Dreamhack) so the game doesn't have to stay centralized.

ELeague has actually dropped CS:GO and moved to Street Fighter V, which (to my knowledge) had about 200k viewers at Evo last year. While that's much better than Halo, it's nowhere near the CS:GO numbers but they still picked it up.

I think Halo is making some good moves, but I definitely think having a LAN based pro league would be infinitely better than online in terms of viewership growth.

I didn't see this posted yesterday but Ryanoob's team ended up beating Commonly Devon Falcated and el town in scrims 9-4.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I was thinking the same thing. LG and Splyce are probably fighting for 4th now.

I believe Danoxide is a step down from Renegade in a lot of areas. His communication is worse, and almost none at all when he's tilted. He is kind of a dumb player with a great shot in my mind.

Splyce is improving a lot at least on paper. 

And LG is playing great so if it's not a honeymoon phase they could be top 4.

It will be interesting for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If things continue the way they are, LG is contending for pretty much any spot other than maybe 1st just based on scrim scores.  One thing to keep in mind is that this team has played the new settings a little bit more than other teams, so theres potential for the other top 3 teams to catch up, however good on LG for getting on the grind before other teams and starting this new season off hot.  They have positioned themselves to contend with the top, especially slaying wise.  Watching their scrims they are not only working well together and communicating, but getting a lot of kills that are not easy to get and theyre getting them consistently.  You could hear it in the comms last night watching Optic scrim them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Prefacing this post with: This is a legit question I have, honestly curious.

I have been seeing a lot of Female Pro League (I think thats what its called?) stuff lately, or just "Female only" type of eSports stuff. 

My question: Is there a barrier of entry that I am unaware of right now for female players to participate in any current eSports leagues such as the HCS, Call of Duty World League, Gears of War Pro Circuit, etc.? Or is the idea behind this type of thing more a "I think it would be cool if we did (x) kind of league" ?

Not against it by any means, just curious about the thought process behind it, or why people think it is necessary? 

All I know is I saw at least two girls playing (and winning games) at Gears AC. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

All I know is I saw at least two girls playing (and winning games) at Gears AC. 

That is cool, the Halo scene has seen some really good female players as well in the past. I feel like if you are good enough someone will eventually take notice? Maybe not?

• Upvote (+1) 2

ELeague has actually dropped CS:GO and moved to Street Fighter V, which (to my knowledge) had about 200k viewers at Evo last year. While that's much better than Halo, it's nowhere near the CS:GO numbers but they still picked it up.

I think Halo is making some good moves, but I definitely think having a LAN based pro league would be infinitely better than online in terms of viewership growth.

Yeh the Street Fighter tournament is pretty sick, made my brother buy the game. They've not dropped CSGO though, they're doing other games as well. They did the same thing with an Overwatch invitational before they hosted the latest CSGO Major.

OT - no female only tournaments shouldn't be a priority for Halo. It's a gimmick when they could be focusing promoting and supporting the other regions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I didn't even know it was on until I checked halo 5 on twitch and saw it. I know it's not HCS, but why wouldn't 343 want to at least promote a female league. Something I haven't seen in other esports (though it probably hasn't been advertised enough in other esports for me to see). But then I remember 343 haven't acknowledged the TB events

Che and I didnt really see eye to eye on much, but he recognized at the very least that Beyond was important to Halo eSports - and he hooked us up with front menu support in-game on Halo 5 a few times.

Like Infinity said, I wouldnt really read much into it - they have a hard time promoting their own events and partners in general. Probably due to being under staffed, or nobody really giving a shit.