CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

If connection mattered as much as you say it does, there's no way 343 would allow the Pro-league to be online based. It just doesn't make logical sense.

In Australia we have a satirical newspaper called The Betoota Advocate. Some of the articles are so on point that people think they're real articles and use them as sources for news.

Your posts remind me of that.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They just remind me of r/halo and waypoint.

Implying that r/halo and waypoint are satire of the finest degree?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Guess Ninja changed his GT after some people on Twitter were making fun of his KD. The LUM vs OpTic games have been updated. One game hasnt been added for OG. The final score was 7-6 to OG.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If connection mattered as much as you say it does, there's no way 343 would allow the Pro-league to be online based. It just doesn't make logical sense.

the satire is so thick I'm drowning in it

• Upvote (+1) 6

cc241139fb5dddfbddce2703db02e1d5.png

Frosty is a radAR kid. Maybe he is getting dropped for Formal.

One scrim and you go by K/D... If you use that logic you can say Victory X and Ninja are radAR kids too...dude...

Unless you're kidding, well you got me.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think Str8 will struggle that much without Renegade. The way Str8 played let Renegade play. If they can pick up a decent slayer that os decent with the power weapons, I think you'll see that player preform really well.

I don't think you'll see the same level from renegade at Splyce for that reason.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nice article. I happened to catch a couple series in the Female Pro League... It was entertaining.

I didn't even know it was on until I checked halo 5 on twitch and saw it. I know it's not HCS, but why wouldn't 343 want to at least promote a female league. Something I haven't seen in other esports (though it probably hasn't been advertised enough in other esports for me to see). But then I remember 343 haven't acknowledged the TB events
  • Upvote (+1) 3

How does the pro league work this year? Do teams only play each other once? This Pro league becomes more and more thinned out as time goes on. Pro Leagues only work if theyre done over LAN, but I understand that is a big ask for Halo. 

On another note, its been too long since Halo has been played alongside other titles. I sincerely hope Halo can find a permanent homeplace at Dreamhack events. Having it played alongside giants like CS:GO will be great for the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I didn't even know it was on until I checked halo 5 on twitch and saw it. I know it's not HCS, but why wouldn't 343 want to at least promote a female league. Something I haven't seen in other esports (though it probably hasn't been advertised enough in other esports for me to see). But then I remember 343 haven't acknowledged the TB events

Gears has promoted it....

• Upvote (+1) 2

As much as they seemed to "improve" with Renegade, they never broke into Top 3. Actually, they were closer with Eco when they went up 3-0 over Liquid at Fall Finals.

And then Eco went to Liquid and outplaced them.  So it's definitely not like he was keeping their ceiling low.

Pro Leagues only work if theyre done over LAN, but I understand that is a big ask for Halo.

That's not true at all. Pro Leagues work because of the online portion which provides the advertising space to fund the LAN finals. LAN Pro Leagues like ELeague are happy to shit away their TV money because it's essentially peanuts for them, but it's not a smart thing to do unless you've got the money to flush.

Would it be a better spectator experience to have all the teams fly out weekly and play on LAN in person - sure. Would that also be a giant waste of money that could easily be spent elsewhere - definitely.

Outside of over-saturation (which lets face it won't be a problem for Halo for the foreseeable future), Pro Leagues are a great idea. I've booked my hotel and tickets to watch the FaceIT ECS Season 3 Finals so essentially get to watch a prolonged qualification / seeding period with my favorite teams online for a good few weeks then I can go to the final live event hyped by the built up story lines.

• Upvote (+1) 4

That's not true at all. Pro Leagues work because of the online portion which provides the advertising space to fund the LAN finals. LAN Pro Leagues like ELeague are happy to shit away their TV money because it's essentially peanuts for them, but it's not a smart thing to do unless you've got the money to flush.

Yeah, I'm sure the company that threw $2.5 million into a Halo tournament doesn't have money to just flush down the toilet.

• Downvote (-1) 3

Yeah, I'm sure the company that threw $2.5 million into a Halo tournament doesn't have money to just flush down the toilet.

How is that any justification? Daddies got lots of money so he should be shitting more of it away.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Str8 with Unlegit: Top 8 at NA Regionals 2016, Top 8 at Worlds 2016

Str8 with Eco: 4th place Fall Pro League, 4th place Vegas, 4th place Fall Finals

Str8 with Renegade: 4th place St. Louis, 4th place Vegas, 4th place Worlds 2017

As much as they seemed to "improve" with Renegade, they never broke into Top 3. Actually, they were closer with Eco when they went up 3-0 over Liquid at Fall Finals.

They were fine without Renegade before, and they'll be fine after. Danoxide is a really good pickup for that team as long as APG can withhold ripping a Dan a new one with his verbal lines of absolute destruction.

STATISTICIZED

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would it be a better spectator experience to have all the teams fly out weekly and play on LAN in person - sure. Would that also be a giant waste of money that could easily be spent elsewhere - definitely.

Outside of over-saturation (which lets face it won't be a problem for Halo for the foreseeable future), Pro Leagues are a great idea. I've booked my hotel and tickets to watch the FaceIT ECS Season 3 Finals so essentially get to watch essentially a prolonged qualification / seeding period with my favorite teams online for a good few weeks then I can go to the final live event hyped by the built up story lines.

You're right, there is nothing wrong with a meaningful (but not too meaningful) well ran pro league over the interwebs.  Pro leagues should essentially be for seeding the brackets of LANs that actually matter and to keep people engaged in between LANs.

Well not anymore they don't. Thats what happens when you blow your load like that.  

money splooge

They barely promote their own events, let alone community oriented programs.

• Upvote (+1) 8

That money was pure marketing for the game. Marketing cost tens of millions of dollars. So it's easy for Microsoft to justify putting that much into a tournament early in its life cycle. We're 1.5 years into H5. 343 isn't getting ad money. I suspect the same will happen with Gears when it's at this point in its cycle. Less money 

edit. A question. What does esports advertising look like? I almost never see it for any game. I think I saw a twitch ad for a rainbow 6 event and the H1Z1 tv thing. 

Str8 with Renegade: 4th place St. Louis, 4th place Vegas, 4th place Worlds 2017

*Str8 placed 5th-6th with Renegade at Las Vegas

• Upvote (+1) 1