CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

What is a little worrying after having a more detailed read of the proving grounds feedback thread on waypoint is that many players are under the impression this radar will replace the standard radar in all playlists and because of this are against it.  Im not sure if this was 343s intention or if the communicated it poorly/failed to communicate it (shocking i know).

If they can have infection and covenant weapons playlists, then surely we can have an "old skool" playlist (No radar, No sprint, no autos, higher movement speed). Even in social just so everyone can ay least play these settings and try it out.

That's kind of the tradition though now right? Waited forever for NBNS to the point of the game dying. Waited forever for H4 to get its shit together on some weapon balancing and ranking systems. Seems like H5 fits right in.

The reason people want to go back to when games were more popular is because good and fun gameplay is universal. It doesn't matter what year it is. Feature and mechanic creep to try and sell the new Halo has resulted in an abomination the same way it did for CoD and people are realizing they lost what people liked to begin with in the transition. BF1 is amazing and people were worried bc WW1 is "boring." Its not just shooters either. WoW has been moving to simplify itself and has recently released its best expansion in years. Old school RS has 2/3rds or more of the total RS population now etc. DOOM did well despite being relatively simple. Zelda is back because they chose mechanics with taste and didn't really try to heap motion controls in this time. The Dark Souls series basically has a cult following because they actually wanted to challenge gamers and didn't try to hold their hands.

I love that people want things to go back to traditional games. I am excited and optimistic about the next Call of Duty and I'm hopeful it will be a game I can actually spend some time playing instead of hop on, play 2 games, and be bored to tears. Battlefield 1 is incredible as a multiplier game, but on top of that it delivers a phenomenal single player as well. I don't understand why more studios and developers can't deliver both. Halo 1-3 had both. Great single player, great multiplier. Why is it that difficult? 

Its a worrying trend. With this and the influx of microtransactions I think they are really starting to take gamers for granted. I would take an increase in cost on the base game if it cut this shit out of video games for good.

I'd actually pay more for a full, functional game at the start. It would be great if I felt like I had the whole game at the start, and didn't shell out $60 for a dumpster fire that has bits and pieces of a game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What is a little worrying after having a more detailed read of the proving grounds feedback thread on waypoint is that many players are under the impression this radar will replace the standard radar in all playlists and because of this are against it. Im not sure if this was 343s intention or if the communicated it poorly/failed to communicate it (shocking i know).

I would love to have the new radar everywhere but if not, it should be visually apparent what radar is currently active to avoid any confusion bc game does play a lot differently (and the difference will continue to grow as the players will learn how to take advantage of it).

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share a small Fantasy fun fact with you from the weekend!

The top 10 most picked players!

Huke 66.56%

Penguin 48.92%

Royal 2 45.51%

SnakeBite 31.58%

Renegade 30.96%

StelluR 19.81%

Shotzzy 19.50%

Snip3down 16.41%

Frosty 13.62%

Danoxide 11.46%

The percentage is based on how many teams had the player.

How well did everyone do?

you tell me. when are the results posted on fantasyhcs? lol <3

have the settings for the new season been confirmed? what about season format? any word on lands outside of dreamhack?

Can someone explain to me how sprint is not the problem in Halo for someone that wants it removed entirely from the franchise.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I would love to have the new radar everywhere but if not, it should be visually apparent what radar is currently active to avoid any confusion bc game does play a lot differently (and the difference will continue to grow as the players will learn how to take advantage of it).

I know what you mean but it seems many casual players may see this as more competitive settings being shoved down their throat.  They should just make a competitive playlist and separate everything else.  Once this is achieved it may become easier to get further changes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorta feels like I'm the only person who would rather start by making the AR a pickup and completely removing radar but keeping movement the same.

Imo the movement takes some skill, has some punishment if its abused/misused and more than anything its fun :intensifies:

Thrust and sprint are solid contributors to the constant escape from gunfights. Players not being punished for their mistakes is not fun in my eyes.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

If halo 5 had lan we wouldn't be at the mercy of a developer.... I think this is the biggest problem of them all

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can someone explain to me how sprint is not the problem in Halo for someone that wants it removed entirely from the franchise.

Oh sprint is 100% one of the main problems. But the problem in and of itself is 343 feeling they needed to add sprint and other movement/attack options to keep up with the times and truly be a next-gen type of FPS. They need to get rid of all that shit. Sprint, clamber, ground pound, spartan charge, stabilize, all that shit has to go if they want to have any hope of this series gaining traction again. It's blatantly clear how successful h1,h2, and h3 esports were. And also blatantly clear that the downfall began with reach when they started trying to implement new core game mechanics. How they don't see this is beyond me, but hey, they held a million dollar world championship in a 100 person venue with a carnival tent right next to it so I don't expect anything from 343.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I know what you mean but it seems many casual players may see this as more competitive settings being shoved down their throat. They should just make a competitive playlist and separate everything else. Once this is achieved it may become easier to get further changes.

Sure, i absolutely agree. Its just I know I wont be playing anything but the new radar. I could play radar and no radar, but in this case a will stick to whatever playlist will have the new settings. Weird I know, but I just cannot digest having to play two different styles with the radar in the corner. And I will miss playing slayer playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is out of left park, but I wonder if 343i picked ESL because they wouldn't want to change their settings? They know MLG has a history of changing the base game and that scared them.

What a selfish reason, considering how much better MLG adjusted the settings for H3 when they were allowed to. It's honestly pathetic how dedicated game developers can't adjust the game better than an esports organizer.

This is out of left park, but I wonder if 343i picked ESL because they wouldn't want to change their settings? They know MLG has a history of change the base game and that scared them.

I honestly think they just didn't know any better or were shown something more like CS:GO ESL instead of NA Halo ESL. There's a really fucking huge difference between those two lol. I think its pretty unquestionable what TO should run NA events for Halo now though. If multiple seasons of lower quality than what we had towards the end of H3/Reach doesn't paint the whole picture for them I don't know what will. Sometimes I wonder if they actually even look into what MLG events were like for us and see how much better they've gotten over the years where we're still just stuck struggling to get back to where we were.

You can't tell me those are the same people doing Halo unless MS refused them any budget whatsoever.

• Upvote (+1) 2

At 343i:

"What do you guys think about wall-running?"

"i liked titanfall. we need mechs too!"

ESL so far has treated Halo 5 with as much respect as 343 has given it, so I don't really blame them. As HECZ said, ESL put on good events most of the time, 343 is the factor causing these problems.

As much as I'd like to see MLG take over HCS, I feel like they would choke under the grasp of 343 unfortunately. ESL seems to be content with this as long as they are paid.