CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I actually started watching HCS because of the campaign funnily enough. I had finished watching all the promotional stuff and wanted to see more (as h5 was the first halo game I would've got at launch). Then I found the gamescom pre launch tournament and have been watching since

Could you imagine them adding HCS to the lore. 2 soldiers in the background in the campaign saying "have you seen the game" like a normal sport conversation but about HCS with a logo and a link to halo.gg. But that's not going to happen

A lore based ad campaign for HCS that featured blue and red team where it shows spartans competing to find out who is the best would be pretty fucking cool.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

I'm not trying to play devils advocate, but can anyone tell me of any AAA game titles that don't advertise with their focus on singleplayer?

Just think back to ads I saw for the last CoD, GoW etc they all focused on the story, not the multiplayer. I guess it may be a little different as I agree Halo has more of a historical multiplayer reputation than some of the games I'm thinking of, but just curious as to whether anyone has seen any specific multiplayer adverts.

(This could be a UK thing and you guys in the US get different ads to us)

I'm not trying to play devils advocate, but can anyone tell me of any AAA game titles that don't advertise with their focus on singleplayer?

Just think back to ads I saw for the last CoD, GoW etc they all focused on the story, not the multiplayer. I guess it may be a little different as I agree Halo has more of a historical multiplayer reputation than some of the games I'm thinking of, but just curious as to whether anyone has seen any specific multiplayer adverts.

As far as I've seen in the last few years, Call of Duty runs side-by-side ad campaigns. They heavily promote their single player, and honestly their single player is some top notch stuff in my eyes. However, I'm sure we've all seen their multiplayer ad campaigns as well with people like Michael Phelps and other celebrities dressed in full military tac gear shitting on other players. 

Michael Phelps Commercial

Jonah Hill MW3 Commercial

Website with Other Commercials

In fairness, Call of Duty seems to be the only one that does this consistently. For Star Wars: Battlefront, it had an extremely limited single player mode so they basically had no choice but to show multiplayer a lot. They also had the added benefit of interlacing it with the movie advertising. Titanfall 2 of course promoted their MP heavily as well.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think it's harder to advertise a new game with multiplayer since there's no identifiable character the person can relate to. The only games I can think of that advertise primarily multiplayer are titanfall and battlefront for obvious reasons
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Lets face it, 343 practically robbed people of their money for spectators who drove/flew out to view worlds.

Only way any of this is gonna change is if 343 realise they arent very good with eSports. MLG would be a big ask for what isnt a massive game nowadays, UGC maybe though (with Gfinity hosting European tournaments)?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lets face it, 343 practically robbed people of their money for spectators who drove/flew out to view worlds.

Only way any of this is gonna change is if 343 realise they arent very good with eSports. MLG would be a big ask for what isnt a massive game nowadays, UGC maybe though (with Gfinity hosting European tournaments)?

But its still bigger than other games with massive potential to grow.

As far as I've seen in the last few years, Call of Duty runs side-by-side ad campaigns. They heavily promote their single player, and honestly their single player is some top notch stuff in my eyes. However, I'm sure we've all seen their multiplayer ad campaigns as well with people like Michael Phelps and other celebrities dressed in full military tac gear shitting on other players.

Michael Phelps Commercial

Jonah Hill MW3 Commercial

Website with Other Commercials

In fairness, Call of Duty seems to be the only one that does this consistently. For Star Wars: Battlefront, it had an extremely limited single player mode so they basically had no choice but to show multiplayer a lot. They also had the added benefit of interlacing it with the movie advertising. Titanfall 2 of course promoted their MP heavily as well.

Thanks for the examples, I hadn't seen these before! Would love to see Halo promote the multiplayer in a similar way for sure.

I dunno about you guys but this year year we have Destiny 2 coming (imagine destiny 2 given to mlg for competitive) a world war 2 Call Of Duty, halo needs to sort this stuff out quickly,we need either h3a or some massive changes to even stay relevant.

If I ain't heard anything I'm buying a ps4 for destiny 2 and that's something I don't want to HAVE to do.

edit sorry for bad grammar I'm on my phone.

I remember someone on Twitter suggesting events like the old MLG ones where there would be several tournaments across different games taking place at the same event. 

I dunno about you guys but this year year we have Destiny 2 coming (imagine destiny 2 given to mlg for competitive) a world war 2 Call Of Duty, halo needs to sort this stuff out quickly,we need either h3a or some massive changes to even stay relevant.

If I ain't heard anything I'm buying a ps4 for destiny 2 and that's something I don't want to HAVE to do.

If they ever figure out destiny comp it'd be huge. The game has been out for what, 3 years? And it still draws a huge following.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why would you waste the cash? It's going to be available on Xbox too...

Good to see everyone getting fired up, hopefully those at 343 will see that the community is nothing but passionate. 

The pros enjoy h5, they just know it can be better. 

I will always blame Quinn, and I won't be happy until he learns to bypass his own ego and start implementing the changes we need, or until he is fired. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Why would you waste the cash? It's going to be available on Xbox too...

I bought xbox for Halo, I enjoy playing Halo it's my 'main game', I'm an EU player, most people in EU have moved away from xbox, actually none of my friends have one anymore, so I would buy a ps4 for that reason, also I believe competitive on Destiny 2 would be played on that platform if it's done at all.

How can we help change the settings and map layouts for the upcoming season? I think I speak for almost all of us that nobody wants to watch another season of Halo 5 without optimized settings. I think it is going to take 1) pros and the community consistently testing proposed settings and providing detailed findings and 2) a Twitter campaign of sorts led by the pros and supported by the community (lets face it... Nobody on 343 will hear our complaints on Beyond) before 343 will begin listening to us. Otherwise we're going to end up watching another season of lackluster Halo packed with automatics, splinter grenades, sprint, and radar. 

After a year now, its becoming increasingly depressing each day reading and agreeing with same complaints.

I was always what I considered "casually competitive" I liked both sides of the fence. Halo was my main game, and in some cases (CE-3) the only game I played. If H5 had just even one no sprint playlist, I would play the game for 3+ every night. Despite the poor maps, heavy aim, and generic sandbox. There are others out there like me that would come back. 

All the weapons are boring for the most part. They created "balance" by giving just about every weapon the ability to be a melt machine. That's not how it has ever worked; and that's what use to make older weapons fun to use. Walshy giving T2 the needles is iconic because the needles actually sucked. The plasma rifle use to be great in CE, it was in my opinion a hidden gem in H3 when it came to combating the crappy melee system. 

It is painful to me how oblivious 343 can be. They implemented the tools to play H5 in their way, or a Halo fashion.. but they never once gave any support via a playlist for that classic Halo style. Instead we got some bogus classic list with all abilities on old maps scaled for H5. 

Run a marketing campaign on social media. Make the game free to play for a week. Promote a classic Halo playlist and put it at the fucking top of the playlists not 10 spots down. Maybe just maybe people might still care enough to download 100 GB to see if Halo is back. 

Most of us don't want Halo 1.2, 2.1, 3.4, etc. We just want HALO

Happy to see Neighbor has engaged people here and on twitter. It gives me a small glimmer of hope. 

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ace has been talking on twitter about this all night, if 343 are still gonna ignore us after this horrible advertisement, pros putting there end in and even there own employees have posted opinions then we will never get anywhere.

The strangest part about all of this is how much easier it is to fine tune competitive settings in this game. 

Easier than ever before, and yet there is still a huge obstacle in getting any significant change implemented. 

I can't imagine it would take long before the pros settled on an optimized setting. 

I can't say this isn't a selfish thing either, and i hope I'm not alone in saying this, but i haven't actually touched the game since last summer. I love watching it played at the highest level, but I can't stomach playing it at all. 

The same thing happened with Reach, I only came back to play once the new settings had been patched in to the game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The strangest part about all of this is how much easier it is to fine tune competitive settings in this game. 

Easier than ever before, and yet there is still a huge obstacle in getting any significant change implemented. 

I can't imagine it would take long before the pros settled on an optimized setting. 

I can't say this isn't a selfish thing either, and i hope I'm not alone in saying this, but i haven't actually touched the game since last summer. I love watching it played at the highest level, but I can't stomach playing it at all. 

The same thing happened with Reach, I only came back to play once the new settings had been patched in to the game. 

It's wild honestly, a depth of customization that we have never seen before.. and Bungie essentially wrote the book on customization. It's too bad that the people in charge are so set in their ways, that they'd rather watch it burn than watch it thrive under a different vision. 

343/ESL treated World's like a project that's due tomorrow and no one has started yet. Throw some shit together and pretend it was always the plan. 

I don't want to hear any crap about them not being able to secure a venue with the backing of fucking Microsoft. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

All of my casual friends left during Halo 4 (used to have a team of 4 almost every night from Halo 3 onwards). I asked why and the usual reply was 'it's not fun.' then after some digging I got them to say specifics. All of them said the same things.

"Armour Abilities are random and dumb"

"People just run away instead of fight"

"Maps are shit."

"Guns are all the same"

We tried Halo 5 but it was the same. Ugly, generic maps. People running away. Guns sound generic (and they've removed every single iconic sound).

Maybe if Halo felt like Halo again people might want to play it?

I'm right there with your buddies. Armor abilities, sprinting, shitty weapons, beyond horrible maps have all ruined the experience and game for me. I uninstalled Halo 5 like 8 months ago because it was just sitting taking up space on my Xbox hard drive never being played. I've followed the scene, "updates" to the game, and anything else Halo related as usual, but nothing has incentivized me to play again. I played the Evolved settings, and even then it was just a small group of us and it seemed tough to coordinate 4v4 lobbies (at least from my perspective/end of things) which was my main draw.

getting old halo fans to play it again doesn't fall under 'growing the scene' for me.

It just falls in line with "settings are trash and we won't play it anymore" someone completely outside of Halo won't care.

And the COD argument by destroyer doesn't work. Since the tournaments and competitive scene grew the most with the CODs with the settings many pros complain about.

I know H5 is not a classic Halo game, and I would love to have a less working radar, pistol starts only (though no BR fuck that, autos should stay on map), and grenade hitmarkers gone, but I love the mobility of H5, thrusters, clamber, slide.. I like that and don't think it takes skill out of the game.

Call of Duty and Halo are different for a bunch of reasons. The professional CoD scene has a lot more to offer in the way of tournaments - weekly tournaments geared toward improving your seed for LANs, more frequent and higher paying LANs, worldwide travel, and on top of that a massive YouTube fanbase for competitive AND casual content, If you ask me, all of that makes it a lot easier to put up with shitty settings if that's your job. Not to mention all of the professionals have complained and campaigned for new settings in the last two games at least. They get bullshit banned and then make do with the rest because they compromise and also because they know it will only last for a year. Another thing that makes it an easier pill to swallow. 

I don't think it's so much about getting us grizzled Halo franchise veterans to play again, but it's getting people to play and stick with the game. The playerbase is pathetic for Halo 5. There's no two ways about it. If 343 has learned anything from their entries into the franchise they should have learned that Halo players (on the whole) aren't big supporters of gimmicky abilities and sprint in Halo. It ceases to become a true Halo game, and becomes some weird amalgamation of Halo and other shooters of the day, becoming a sci-fi shooter with a recognizable name. To me, it seems to be more about the community (at least the competitive one for sure) wants a tradtiional Halo game - not to say we have to go back to CE or Halo 2 or Halo 3, but we want a Halo game - something that encapsulates the traditional Halo experience. This can be done and include new maps, new weapons, and other innovations, but Halo doesn't have to change it's core. Look at CS:GO, it has barely changed in 15 years. I know it has certainly changed, but it's been the same core game for over a decade and it's massive literally all over the world. Of course, being on PC helps a lot, but you get my point I hope.

343 is pretty good at practically robbing people of money. Not just those spectators, but people who bought MCC...

Thanks for the examples, I hadn't seen these before! Would love to see Halo promote the multiplayer in a similar way for sure.

I'd love it if Halo promoted their product to the effect of Activision, and you can't really say it's a money issue. I'm pretty sure M$ can outmatch ATVI in dollars spent if they really wanted to. It would just be nice though if they promoted the game even half as well as Call of Duty does.

The pros enjoy h5, they just know it can be better. 

From what I've seen, most pros are at the point where it's about the money and it being a job, not for genuine enjoyment of the game. This is part opinion and part fact, but mostly opinion from my inferences checking posts here and on social media. Competitive people are always going to be fired up about competing, it's just the way they are. There's no denying this shit game could be handled better, but it would be a major overhaul of the game that's being competed on today vs. a settings overhaul as well as additional maps. These aren't the Halo 2 or CE days where we don't have things like Forge. Why is it that we can't utilize Forge for making competitively viable maps? I vaguely remember there being some bullshit issue there, but I can't recall exactly what it is/was. This has to change because the majority of maps in the pool are absolute horseshit. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

But its still bigger than other games with massive potential to grow.

Id agree, but look at R6: Siege. Sandbox game was diabolical, now its growing in such popularity. Its a complete reverse effect in comparison to Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I bought xbox for Halo, I enjoy playing Halo it's my 'main game', I'm an EU player, most people in EU have moved away from xbox, actually none of my friends have one anymore, so I would buy a ps4 for that reason, also I believe competitive on Destiny 2 would be played on that platform if it's done at all.

That's a fair reason. If I was you, I'd hold out until Scorpio launch. No doubt Sony will drop PS4 prices a heap.

No way we get Halo 6 this year. At best I think we get one more big content drop of Maps, Reqs & Skins.

That's a fair reason. If I was you, I'd hold out until Scorpio launch. No doubt Sony will drop PS4 prices a heap.

No way we get Halo 6 this year. At best I think we get one more big content drop of Maps, Reqs & Skins.

I think we're going to get a big Halo 3 themed update for 5 to coincide with 3's anniversary.

I remember someone on Twitter suggesting events like the old MLG ones where there would be several tournaments across different games taking place at the same event. 

Pretty sure that was Hecz

I want that so badly, it'd be so hype having Halo next to CoD :(

• Upvote (+1) 1