CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I don't think I can go back to sprintless Halo. The movement is what makes Halo 5 so great. And removing the AR wouldn't help the game grow. Thousands of viewers won't start watching the competitive side because of magnum starts. The two aren't related. 

You're the poster-child for universal settings.

And you're wrong. Nobody is going to see it and say "I don't recognize this game because it doesn't have an AR."

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is the only sentence that stood out to me throughout the whole article

• Average Halo FPS skill among players who have been playing consistently over the last decade has also increased. Many of the people you considered “20-30” 10 years ago have gotten better, and play in the 40-50 range. Some of them of caught up and even passed you. That’s life.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Make ARs map pick ups, get rid of spartan charge. Game is a long way to being fixed and it doesnt change the game play so much for the every day halo player.

Skill gap increases cos people will elbe forced into using their pistols more and no spartan charge punishes sprint a little more.not hard

well considering it's community is so low on the most played games list for xbox, it's the lowest selling halo in the series(albeit for various reasons), and that the population is dwindled so much, i'd say that community following it is running on fumes. 

>i want to play

>many players dont

you mean the minority of halo players who didn't jump ship after 3/reach? what is this waypoint? dont tell me you actually believe the majority of halo fans actually prefer the newer halos to the older ones. 

Without numbers, I can't answer your question. All 343 said is "player retention is the best since Halo 3." That only means so much. And due to reasons outside of Halo, the game hasn't sold as well. 

I can't speak on behalf of the community and whether they prefer newer to older Halos. Fans of both styles exist. That's about as much as I can safely assume.  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Exactly, it felt like just another event. It's obvious they don't actually care about any of this if they thought it was acceptable to call this weekend the "World Championship" of Halo. Not trying to discredit any of the production guys or casters as I think they did a great job, but the people behind the scenes who organize this stuff at 343 and ESL should be ashamed that they have made us look like a joke to the rest of the eSports world.

Reading/hearing outside opinion like from Hecz regarding production is different from what I hear here. He said that it was ok. It was awesome compared to the  :poop:  we're use to.

You're the poster-child for universal settings.

And you're wrong. Nobody is going to see it and say "I don't recognize this game because it doesn't have an AR."

Universal settings are what makes games like DOTA 2 so great. There is value in watching pros perfect the exact same game you're playing. 

I don't understand you're second part. I'm not saying that at all. 

• Downvote (-1) 4

It really makes me sad just how out of touch they are. Mikwen tweeted that they had NO IDEA IT WAS THE PRO CONSENSUS. Thats actual so obsurd.

It's not even the pro consensus.

It's a general consensus among anyone who qualifies as a Hardcore Halo 4v4 player.

I'm someone who has been pro-autos from day 1, and even I've been saying THE BALANCE BETWEEN AUTOS AND PRECISION WEAPONS IN HALO 5 IS AWFUL, JACKED, AND BACKWARDS.  It shouldn't take a rocket scientist or a PhD for someone getting paid 6 figures to be able to figure out that same thing.

Hate to be that guy, but the sooner you lose faith in 343i the easier it gets to understand these decisions. I'm not even trying to bash, some people have a vision and they run with it no matter what others say. Look how hard the Pro Team had to fight for descope, can't imagine what other stuff went on behind the scenes that got denied.

You ever see the Gears players asking for Quinn back? I haven't yet.

Let us also not forget how much of a joke the whole situation with quin revealing he wasn't the person to give hcs feedback to, after over a year. Thanks for not telling us sooner and not relaying any of it to the "actual" guy, because he didn't know any of it. Btw has anything come from him inregards to it? @@Moa

Universal settings are what makes games like DOTA 2 so great. There is value in watching pros perfect the exact same game you're playing.

Imagine if H2 used universal settings. Our scene would've been dead in a week.

The game needs to be balanced around competitive play for universal settings to work. Otherwise the entire premise falls apart.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I love how people say we need universal settings because X game uses them and it works great. Nothing like comparing an FPS to a moba..

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Imagine if H2 used universal settings. Our scene would've been dead in a week.

The game needs to be balanced around competitive play for universal settings to work. Otherwise the entire premise falls apart.

Game should be balanced and changed to make it the best and enjoyable it can be.

Fact is the game could use some changes (and has since day 1) that would improve the game (and a lot of them aren't even big changes).

If its found that moving x weapon around or (insert whatever here) improves the map/gametype (and thus the game) then it should be done.

Huge coming from a 343 employee.

Well he said changing those things make the game play "fine" so anyone saying the game will magically shit itself without sprint and clamber can stop talking now.

We've used universal settings in H5 for a year and a half now and I've seen absolutely no benefit it's brought to our scene. The only thing it's done is made casuals and competitive players bicker more over who 343 is catering too.

If universal settings are the way to go (they aren't), then the casual community needs to submit to competitive balancing, not vice versa.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Game should be balanced and changed to make it the best and enjoyable it can be.

Fact is the game could use some changes (and has since day 1) that would improve the game (and a lot of them aren't even big changes).

If its found that moving x weapon around or (insert whatever here) improves the map/gametype (and thus the game) then it should be done.

Of course. But if the competitive players really want to play a game that more resembles the past games, but other fans that enjoy H5 don't want it to change what do you do? It seems like that's where we are now. Ideally out of the box the game would be designed to be as fun as possible with settings that work well for both audiences. That's just something that's hard to accomplish with all the different ways Halo has been played over the years.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I love how people say we need universal settings because X game uses them and it works great. Nothing like comparing an FPS to a moba..

A game should be balanced and designed well enough that "universal settings" are possible.  Although when I say "universal settings" I simply mean in terms of starting weapons and base gameplay mechanics among 2v2, 4v4, FFA, and 8v8 varieties, not in terms of maps or available weapons on map, and completely ignoring "for fun" gametypes.

People that talk about LoL having Universal Settings aren't saying "Zombies shouldn't exist in Halo." -- after all, LoL has ARAM and its rotating fun game mode queue just like Halo has Grifball, Infection, and Action Sack.

But the base weapons should be capable enough that I don't have to start with a BR on BTB maps just to be able to fight off spawn, and in no playlist should I need a radar to gain my bearings on how to navigate the map.

• Upvote (+1) 4

We've used universal settings in H5 for a year and a half now and I've seen absolutely no benefit it's brought to our scene. The only thing it's done is made casuals and competitive players bicker more over who 343 is catering too.

If universal settings are the way to go (they aren't), then the casual community needs to submit to competitive balancing, not vice versa.

I'm for competitive balancing and using it to influence universal settings in the casual community. Why wouldn't I want the best version of the game? I just don't see how sprint is ruining things. Some things I don't agree with. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

8sec respawn is bigger deal than sprint

I demur.

That's an idiotic comparison. DotA 2 is, first and foremost, a competitive game. You might as well say the same of Counter-Strike and it would apply about as well. DotA 2's competitive community is its CORE community. Counter-Strike's competitive community is its CORE community. These are not games where they took something respectable for tournaments and fucked it up to appeal to the casual kids who like random bullshit in their games (i.e. universal settings in Halo 5).

Halo has separate competitive settings because, for better or worse, the majority of its population has always been given garbage "casual" settings that would be awful for tournaments. Competitive Halo is a niche until the developer actually presents competitive settings as the core settings. Literally NO ONE benefits from some half-baked compromise.

• Upvote (+1) 5