CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I agree with you, but I think it's hilarious that you're essentially the only non-troll cratos fan on here.

There are dozens of us!

Reach had almost no potential and look at NBNS. Halo 5 has so much potential imagine how good H5's NBNS would be. 1 and a half years and almost 0 progress. Its just sad how good this game could actually be. Its within reach.

I respect your crusade a lot man. I vividly remember having a moment during the H2A Season 2 Finals where I thought to myself, "This is the last time I'm going to see Halo in its true form played at the highest level."

Your recent posts here and on Reddit have rekindled a bit of hope for me. Thank you for that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

but all the maps in halo 4 have a similar aesthetic, which is that shitty forerunner transformer plate tech. There is nothing whatsoever about that that's pleasing to the eye whilst playing the game.

I think the forerunner stuff looks cool. Much more interesting than what you would/do see in other games that base their look from the real world. Cod and Gears both look like something that could exist now. The forerunner stuff looks futuristic and cool with all the floating pieces.

I think the forerunner stuff looks cool. 

Not 343's version. Forunner stuff in H3 looked cool but not so much H4 or H5

• Upvote (+1) 3

Not 343's version. Forunner stuff in H3 looked cool but not so much H4 or H5

Don't tell me you see Coliseum and think meh
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Viewers and the viewer experience are really secondary concerns. What's much more important is finding out which game people would actually show up for. A CE tournament for instance would be well received from a theoretical pov but I doubt you'd get as good a turnout.

I have to agree. As much as viewing and viewer experience should be at the top of the list, playability and player experience should be the absolute top-most priority. It's hard to justify an incredible viewing experience if your game flat out sucks. I'd be so pumped to watch a legit CE tournament. That game is the best there is.

Reach had almost no potential and look at NBNS. Halo 5 has so much potential imagine how good H5's NBNS would be. 1 and a half years and almost 0 progress. Its just sad how good this game could actually be. Its within reach.

I think any game that has customization options and have them embraced has potential. Honestly, Reach and Halo 5 had a lot of potential it just has to be unlocked. The problem is they allowed it with Reach for NBNS and they refuse to let it happen in Halo 5. It will only make the game better, but they insist on these dogshit settings, dogshit maps, and dogshit movement. 

It's exactly that what tilts me, look at how little has changed. Fair play we got rid of breakout pre 16' worlds (and props for trying something new) but even that was a long winded process.

The progression has actually been depressing since release even with players/pros crying out for change instead of just jumping ship. Almost every Halo has been like it for development but this game has took it to the extreme,

I asked Jimbo a while ago Foxy, but do you actually enjoy playing Halo 5 or is it more like a traditional job where you are just doing it because it's your job at this point?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Don't tell me you see Coliseum and think meh

I really dont like the PBR system 343 is using for their materials. Its an approach that usually leads to more believable textures, but in this case, EVERYTHING looks like it's laminated.

Colesium looks like its on genisis, which has some really nice aesthetics, that i think get tarnished by the forerunner architecture and look of the metal.

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 random questions.

1. Wheres the HCS thread we used for X games and Regionals? I don't know what it was called/can't find it.

2. Wheres the breakout pro poll thread (the one us plebs saw)

3. Is Stasis still in rotation (if not when was it removed and added for that matter) What was its vetoed rate across events/pro league and a separate veto rate for pro scrims. @TiberiusAudley, or this might be a question for @@Bad Dub

I really dont like the PBR system 343 is using for their materials. Its an approach that usually leads to more believable textures, but in this case, EVERYTHING looks like it's laminated.

Colesium looks like its on genisis, which has some really nice aesthetics, that i think get tarnished by the forerunner architecture and look of the metal.

maybe I just have low standards

I think the forerunner stuff looks cool. Much more interesting than what you would/do see in other games that base their look from the real world. Cod and Gears both look like something that could exist now. The forerunner stuff looks futuristic and cool with all the floating pieces.

Ill contribute, is off season right ?

There is a certain problem with 343 design/art style. Best way how can I describe it is, that when I look at the 343 map, lets say Monolith, its like I am holding a low quality mass produced toy made of cheap materials, while looking at Bungie map, lets say Narrows, its hi quality handcrafted model that pleases any eye.

There is a lot of candy in 343 design but that is not what you need in MP game and it shouldn't distract you from playing the game (truth anyone ?). Good looking design can by very clean and simple. Setting, collors tone and overal feel can make much more impact than any flares, reflections and details that you will never see / want to see when playing/ watching mp game.

343 design lack stronger and more focused vision. It lack sense of actual place. It lacks identity. It doesn't have something that almost every Bungie map had. Those maps look like they have been made in forge, reusing the same unified, boring, sterile assets over and over again, just changing the collors and skybox.

I also feel this is also because of the engine it self and the shitty lighting (and other things) it uses.

Mercy looks better, that was definitely a step up.

Edit.: This visuals style and overdone layout design is also one of the things why can't play the game for too long an why I many times decide to play something else, something easier on eyes. Simplicity, clear lines, strong theme, that is the key.

3 random questions.

1. Wheres the HCS thread we used for X games and Regionals? I don't know what it was called/can't find it.

2. Wheres the breakout pro poll thread (the one us plebs saw)

3. Is Stasis still in rotation (if not when was it removed and added for that matter) What was its vetoed rate across events/pro league and a separate veto rate for pro scrims. @TiberiusAudley, or this might be a question for @@Bad Dub

I dont have a clue what the veto rate is, sorry. Hopefully audley does.

If we talking about the scene putting on tournaments for the scene then absolutely the key is running an event around a game that everyone wants to play. I dare say you could get away with running an event with little to no live streaming to save money on running costs and release community produced vod. I'll reply properly after work as I'm on the verge of biting my phone in half.

Tldr; come back to Blackpool and run a H3 tournament and I'll gladly shit away my money getting first rounded.

This is why I was trying to push the community to push 343 to run all games on MCC instead of just H2A (this was prior to release obviously). Its easy for outsiders to see whether we enjoy the game or not and if we don't what makes you think they'll want to enter our scene if the current community doesn't even like it? Like with reach, a lot of people found it a chore to play/watch etc, that was easy to spot. The answer? They wouldn't, they didn't.

I also questioned 343 by asking the question "is it really dev support if they're forcing what they want otherwise we get nothing" (or something to that degree). Obviously this doesn't matter now because MCC was MCC and turned out the way it did.

I mean look where we're at now, we're completely dependent on 343 for everything, some of it I'm sure they made sure of and they don't listen to what we have to say at all, or care for that matter, they do what they want and we're absolutely powerless to do anything about it. Or it sure as shit seems that way.

It's exactly that what tilts me, look at how little has changed. Fair play we got rid of breakout pre 16' worlds (and props for trying something new) but even that was a long winded process.

The progression has actually been depressing since release even with players/pros crying out for change instead of just jumping ship. Almost every Halo has been like it for development but this game has took it to the extreme,

Don't forget, the community tried for months to get events changed from best of 3 to best of 5s. Months. It finally happened when MLG held Xgames and "convinced them" to change it.

We didn't get rid of breakout, 343 kinda fucked themselves on that one. I 100% believe if that entire situation didn't go down, it'd still be in today because we spent months (again) trying to get it removed just to be told "thats an interesting point of view but i disagree and according to our data people like breakout because it gets played in matchmaking" by quin.

and im sure theres more untold "horror stories" the pros could tell in regards to dealing with 343 and settings but don't. A few other pros posted similar statements spanning over a year prior to this video too on the forums.

and theres more but you get the idea.

Theres been so little change over such a time frame, they aren't even large changes but yet they take forever and a half and are an absolute fucking battle to achieve. Its absurd. Not to mention the absolute lack of communication.

Is this dev support? If so please explain it to me because I don't see it. Or at least I don't see it as "good" dev support and I really really don't think there needs to be a distinction between the two. When I think of "dev support" I think of Blizzard and OW, or The Coalition with Gears or 3Arc with Blops 2 and other similar. Not..whatever this is.

• Upvote (+1) 4

As a H2 kid I cannot agree with this enough, H2 is a superior game competitively but H3 from a viewer perspective is just massivly pleasing to watch and an overall more fun expirance imho.

Halo 3 was also MUCHMUCH slower paced game, which made it more pleasing to watch. Ironically, the reason that it's also inferior to H3 from every other angle.

Have to assume that EG is done right?

Am I the only one who thinks EG should pick up Ryanoob and Prototype. Let them worry about the rotations and just let  the twins focus on shooting. Won't happen but man they need to realize at some point they are playing inherently the wrong way. Ryanoob, could perhaps speed up the learing process by handing them cliff notes. Just saying the twins need to geek up a bit.

Then stick contra on ninja's team and wham bam thank you mam, both teams just improved.

Side note:

Of all the bloody teams spartan had to join, god dammit, I really liked that team. Now I am conflicted.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I disliked watching h3 because the true final boss team broke up. I dislike sprint because of how terrible the maps are since it was introduced in reach. I don't hate the idea of sprint like some. I hate what it does to maps and therefore gameplay.

Has anyone tried no sprint on maps like molten or tyrant? They're so small it makes me wonder if they were intended to be played without sprint

• Upvote (+1) 1

I disliked watching h3 because the true final boss team broke up. I dislike sprint because of how terrible the maps are since it was introduced in reach. I don't hate the idea of sprint like some. I hate what it does to maps and therefore gameplay.

Has anyone tried no sprint on maps like molten or tyrant? They're so small it makes me wonder if they were intended to be played without sprint

No sprint molten might actually work. The map is absurdly easy to move around currently.

Stasis is not in rotation anymore. It was added for the Fall season of pro league and taken out at the end of the fall season. I think I saw Stasis played 2 or 3 times in that time. So around a 90% or greater veto rate

Edit: Quick math (if I did it right). If it was played 3 times, this results in a 96% veto percentage from pro league alone, not including LANs

Molten is the worst halo map to ever exist. I dont even think no sprint can save it. Its THE REASON i havent touched slayer in months.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Molten is the worst halo map to ever exist. I dont even think no sprint can save it. Its THE REASON i havent touched slayer in months.

That title still belongs to Backwash in Halo 2. Good hide n seek map though.

• Upvote (+1) 5