CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

```````

(EDIT: ^ just saw this, that was my cat saying hello)

Do you have any examples of selective segregation that has actively facilitated positive growth?

Segragating yourself may make life easier in the short term but it most certainly does not do any good in the long run.

Any 40 and over softball league.

There is nothing wrong with having a group to call your own.  A group that you identify with a little more than the establishment or something that can set you apart from others.  The problem only comes in when that group is then used to oppress others.  

The basic argument against the female league that i am reading is that the players are basically oppressing themselves (since clearly they aren't negatively affecting anybody else, that must be where the problem is right)?   Come on now...  There is nothing wrong with the league, at all.  If it helps to introduce people to competitive halo that otherwise may not have been, where is the problem?  Oh, there isn't one.

• Upvote (+1) 7

```````

There is nothing wrong with having a group to call your own.  A group that you identify with a little more than the establishment or something that can set you apart from others.  The problem only comes in when that group is then used to oppress others.  

The basic argument against the female league that i am reading is that the players are basically oppressing themselves (since clearly they aren't negatively affecting anybody else, that must be where the problem is right)?   Come on now...  There is nothing wrong with the league, at all.  If it helps to introduce people to competitive halo that otherwise may not have been, where is the problem?  Oh, there isn't one.

Senior PGA is always an example i go to as well. we need a Senior HCS for the retired pros too lol

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why am i blocked? WHAT DID I DO NOOOOHOHOHOOO.

Also, about the female pro league. Its a good thing (for now). The barrier of entry isnt skill ceiling obviously, its that the pro-gaming scene is currently a "boys club". This is not just halo either. Competitive gaming is not a friendly environment for female players in general. Anybody who has played with a girl on their team in a competitive playlist (halo or other) for more than few games has heard the disgusting shit that some randoms will say not because of a bad play, but simply because they are female. The most public instances of this are with Overwatch (just google it. Its disgusting) but it happens everywhere.

If a female pro league removes that aspects and attracts female players to a more competitive environment that otherwise may not have been, that will be good in the long run.

Ideally, none of this would be a concern obviously and a separate league wouldnt be necessary but thats not the world we currently live in.

Good post, tired of others saying it isn't right to separate themselves.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

seriously though. Why can't they do this. They change weapon layouts on maps after a season and have these as ___ HCS. Surely it would only take a little time to add the logo to this version of the map. But I only know fake code, so what do I know

Its not even complex. They literally have a HCS logo decal in Forge, just hidden for retail boxes.

The only concern would be the HCS logo affecting sight lines, especially with its Blue and Red colouring. Constantly switching between matchmaking and Tournament HCS variants would cause some false positives for some players.

```````

(EDIT: ^ just saw this, that was my cat saying hello)

There is nothing wrong with having a group to call your own. A group that you identify with a little more than the establishment or something that can set you apart from others. The problem only comes in when that group is then used to oppress others.

The basic argument against the female league that i am reading is that the players are basically oppressing themselves (since clearly they aren't negatively affecting anybody else, that must be where the problem is right)? Come on now... There is nothing wrong with the league, at all. If it helps to introduce people to competitive halo that otherwise may not have been, where is the problem? Oh, there isn't one.

Hmm. That is a situation I never thought of.

It doesn't change the way I feel about this though.

An over 40 softball league exists because these people are admitting that they are not physically capable of playing with younger players.

There's no reason a female gamer cannot compete with male gamers. It's an area of competition where physicality has no bearing on ability. Just look at most of these halo pros. They practically have "I was picked last in gym class written on their foreheads". Somewhere out there, there exists females that can be just as good at video games as them.

By segragating themselves these female gamers are feeding in to negative stereotypes and stigmas.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Senior PGA is always an example i go to as well. we need a Senior HCS for the retired pros too lol

Good post, tired of others saying it isn't right to separate themselves.

I think you guys are missing the issue here; the only reason that male and female sports are ever separated is because of inherent physical differences ... such that it simply isn't fair for female tennis players to play against male tennis players, for example (Serena Williams lost to the #190 ranked mens player).  

Halo is like poker; there is absolutely nothing inherently or biologically different in terms of Halo or poker skill between men and women.  There are female-only poker tournaments but the actually talented female players (Jennifer Harman, Annette Obrested) play in the same tournaments as men, and win them.  Female-only Starcraft tournaments are equally unnecessary.  In a sense it's great for female players to have a venue and a way to get their name out there, but it's a sort of "separate but unequal" thing, and in the end I'm not sure if it's really helping.

edit: seeing now that others have made this point ... anyway, giving girls a place where they can compete and have fun and not have to deal with creepy gamer guys is actually a great idea (plus it's not like female teams can't also go to Dreamhack, obviously) 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

An over 40 softball league exists because these people are admitting that they are not physically capable of playing with younger players.

There's no reason a female gamer cannot compete with male gamers. It's an area of competition where physicality has no bearing on ability. Just look at most of these halo pros. They practically have "I was picked last in gym class written on their foreheads". Somewhere out there, there exists females that can be just as good at video games as them.

By segragating themselves these female gamers are feeding in to negative stereotypes and stigmas.

You should try doing a little reading about the female experience online/in gaming. It might help you understand a little better.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There's no reason a female gamer cannot compete with male gamers. It's an area of competition where physicality has no bearing on ability. Just look at most of these halo pros. They practically have "I was picked last in gym class written on their foreheads".

By segragating themselves these female gamers are feeding in to negative stigmas.

1) Thats not necessarily true.  When i played softball (all ages) there were plenty of over-40 players that could beat the shit out of the 20 and 30 year olds.  They were legit better.  Part of it might be that some people can't hang, but mostly people play in those leagues because they want to play with their friends.

2) If they want to compete in the main tourneys, they can absolutely do that.  There is no barrier there.  THAT is when segregation is a problem.  When artificial barrier are put in place to keep "others" from being involved, not when you setup a separate club to ATTRACT people that may not have otherwise been interested.  From there, they are encouraging women to participate in the main events (ie Dreamhack).  I fail to see how that chain of events is a bad thing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i dont think you have to look far to find an incident or remember one of a female being harassed in online games, especially fps games. you can call it an un unnecessary safe space or whatever, but the truth is there is a reason for wanting that buffer. they do have a team coming out and maybe if they do well, they will compete within the hcs more and if they are treated well, that might encourage more of those players to ftheir way onto better teams

• Upvote (+1) 2

props to @Bad Dub and HDH for keeping this up since it seems that fewer pros are streaming scrims now

85kREQu.png

Lol at EG losing to Str8 , if the twins keep getting these free weekends may aswell retire.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lol at EG losing to Str8 , if the twins keep getting these free weekends may aswell retire.

nice showing by Ronin though. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Definition of insanity.  "hey we are playing well and getting better, lets start scrimming less than anybody else im sure it will be fiiiiiine"

How many seasons have they done that now?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Always look forward to seeing your post EG scrim posts because I'm in the same boat. Being a fan is so frustrating. The team is almost pathetic at this point. They are almost completely incapable of resetting when they've lost momentum or when their attitudes have turned sour. They start playing uncoordinated and give up nonstop solo deaths. The twins pointless bickering is as bad as it's ever been. Tapping Buttons has no input on any of the team discussions ever and he communicates like a matchmaking kid (may be different at the event, we will see). Falcated seems like he's given up on the team sometimes.

Now Hecz is only gonna be in ATL til Friday. RIP. (via his vlog again)

OpTic don't play on Friday. That'll be interesting when he realises/finds out
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Always look forward to seeing your post EG scrim posts because I'm in the same boat. Being a fan is so frustrating. The team is almost pathetic at this point. They are almost completely incapable of resetting when they've lost momentum or when their attitudes have turned sour. They start playing uncoordinated and give up nonstop solo deaths. The twins pointless bickering is as bad as it's ever been. Tapping Buttons has no input on any of the team discussions ever and he communicates like a matchmaking kid (may be different at the event, we will see). Falcated seems like he's given up on the team sometimes.

I'd like to see Trippey and Saiyan pick up Falcated and Tapping Buttons after ATL. Get the grinders/willing Halo players together.

• Upvote (+1) 1

OpTic don't play on Friday. That'll be interesting when he realises/finds out

I would assume he knows that. He is actually already in ATL for some business stuff so that is prolly his first priority for being there.

I'd like to see Trippey and Saiyan pick up Falcated and Tapping Buttons after ATL. Get the grinders/willing Halo players together.

The twins still haven't realized that in order to succeed in H5 they need to grind. Put at least 25 hours of game a week. Is not enough scrim 4 days a week (in a good week).
  • Upvote (+1) 1

If Halo ends up with 128 (full) teams this weekend I'll donate $50 to Gamers Outreach. If not, can you match it?

We could do something a little more involved like start a pool and each person will donate $1 per thousand peak viewers (or any other myriad of variables to make it more fun and encourage people to watch). you already have my paypal haha

Its funny.  We call out the twins for not playing enough and not performing to their historical greatness.  Clearly they are the problem on that team.

But i bet that EG loves them.  They put on a good show at the events they are asked to attend.  They have kept that roster more stable than most teams.  They are recognizable faces, like them or not, in the Halo community.  And despite not performing to the standards they set for themselves "back in the day" they have still never had to fight through relegation to stay in the league.

Edit:  And if im going to throw a wild theory out there with no back-up information....

I bet that you really only need to run a full 13 game scrim 3 days a week to be a great team.  BUT you better be playing with your team in some capacity, talking shop during that time, 6 days a week.

4 days of only playing with your team during scrims then fighting about it for 30 minutes afterward isn't gonna cut it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There's also a :fire: Waka Flocka Flame :fire:  concert at Dreamhack on Friday night.

*Str8 and OS square up on Main Stage, preparing for the match that will decide who has to play the next season as an AM team*

*Simms casting, as it is nearing 3am: "Lets get this show on the road!!!"*

*In the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skhxizRYxps *

• Upvote (+1) 1

This team with Renegade instead of Falcated did make it to grand finals in the Atria tourney this weekend, beating NV along the way.

The game looks like DLC for Destiny 1 so probably not.

Are sequels that look and play similar to the original a foreign concept to only Halo fans or something?
  • Upvote (+1) 9

Are sequels that look and play similar to the original a foreign concept to only Halo fans or something?

looking at our sequel history since h3, i would have to say yes