CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

if anyone's looking for me at Dreamhack, I'll be one of four dudes wearing a shirt with this on it

ZHWfERa.png?1

Respect. Please videobomb the casters.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Playlists =/= gametypes. No oddball, no one flag, no KOTH, and assault is just shit. H5 is clearly outmatched by H3 in this respect. If there is so much variety in H5, why is the population not more healthy?

On a sidenote, H2A had 3 competitive maps but it felt fresher to me than H5 due to the variety of gametypes. Especially as the maps were fantastic to play on.

Lol why would variety mean a healthier population? Just another "Halo has declined for X reason." The two could be related, but most likely the correlation does not imply causation.

The fall of Halo is a very complex issue. I really don't think it can be traced back to one thing, or even a few things. And similarly, I don't think the philosophy of "if they just went back to Y, everything would be fixed" is valid. Sure, it might appease some older fans who've moved away, but I highly doubt it would bring a bunch of new fans in.

Also, Halo 5 DOES have more variety. Not saying you would enjoy it or play it, but it does. I haven't played Warzone in months, but when I did, it was completely different from the arena experience. And the number of unique custom games that I've played is far more than there ever could be before due to forge. H3 had like 3 game modes that H5 doesn't, and those were all arena-ish. H5 has like tens or hundreds more "fun" modes.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Half of H5's arena maps are remixes

Sure it has a ton of mini games but that's not the only aspect when it comes to variety

We have only slayer, strongholds, and ctf as viable competitive game types

ZzzzzzzZZZZzZzZzZZzzZ

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'll interrupt this discussion to point out that 8 teams are currently on a wait list to get into the Halo tournament at ATL. If we can get the cap removed this will be the biggest open LAN Halo has had since 2015.

its amazing how many people want to play for some cash and a potential pro league spot. who would have thought a meaningful tourney would do well?

Destiny 2 beta is BLOWING up on twitch. 

its amazing how many people want to play for some cash and a potential pro league spot. who would have thought a meaningful tourney would do well?

Wonders of an East Coast LAN. 

Half of H5's arena maps are remixes

Sure it has a ton of mini games but that's not the only aspect when it comes to variety

We have only slayer, strongholds, and ctf as viable competitive game types

ZzzzzzzZZZZzZzZzZZzzZ

This I agree completely with. A few maps and three game modes, for two years already.

• Upvote (+1) 1

He could have been referring to players on the American Continent when he said Americans.

But which one?

I'll interrupt this discussion to point out that 8 teams are currently on a wait list to get into the Halo tournament at ATL. If we can get the cap removed this will be the biggest open LAN Halo has had since 2015.

Wait...why is there a cap at all?

What's the cap?

Wait...why is there a cap at all?

A small part of me thinks they only capped it to encourage people to sign up early and give them a better idea of how many teams to expect. If they're smart they'll raise the cap. No reason to run off the couple of extra teams just so Friday finishes an hour earlier.

What's the cap?

64 teams.

Lol why would variety mean a healthier population? Just another "Halo has declined for X reason." The two could be related, but most likely the correlation does not imply causation.

The fall of Halo is a very complex issue. I really don't think it can be traced back to one thing, or even a few things. And similarly, I don't think the philosophy of "if they just went back to Y, everything would be fixed" is valid. Sure, it might appease some older fans who've moved away, but I highly doubt it would bring a bunch of new fans in.

Also, Halo 5 DOES have more variety. Not saying you would enjoy it or play it, but it does. I haven't played Warzone in months, but when I did, it was completely different from the arena experience. And the number of unique custom games that I've played is far more than there ever could be before due to forge. H3 had like 3 game modes that H5 doesn't, and those were all arena-ish. H5 has like tens or hundreds more "fun" modes.

I second the notion that people overcomplicate halo's 'demise'.

They had a formula that worked extremely well in the market. Then they changed that formula, and fans started leaving at a rate faster than new fans were picked up. This rate of decline amplified with each release.

Simply "going back to Y" wouldn't fix everything. But it's the logical place to start. I don't even think it's a matter of trying to get old fans to come back. The MP sandbox is broken , the progression system is dumb and the campaign experience is poor- it doesn't take a veteran to feel that.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I have a confession...

The reason I haven't been posting as often lately is because I've been afraid of Audley completely wrecking me verbally, as you can see above. You really can't let your guard down for even a single word, or you'll find yourself on the end of an absolute ripper. I'll continue my slight hiatus until Audley is at least partially controlled.

I would never do that to you, man.  This forum needs you.

I have to admit, I saw a post yesterday that was so utterly inane, I thought "That has to be a NavG123 post.  Has to be."  Then I looked at the username and it wasn't NavG123.  And I got a little depressed.  I even poured out a little of my water (too close to event time to stay on hard liquor) for you.

You're right! We have Warzone 1, Warzone 2, Warzone 3, Warzone PvP, team arena 1, team arena 2 (HCS), 2v2 team arena, FFA arena, etc

So much variety!

You have a point about the customs server browser but idk if anyone even really uses it, I never even used it once

If you honestly think H5 has anywhere near the variety of game play that h3 does then you need to seek help, H5 is a shell of a game.

Customs browser is probably the best thing 343 has done for Halo so far

• Upvote (+1) 4