CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

In this day and age, it's better practice to be partnered with the developer and have developer support available on-site during the tournament.

The problem we face is our AAA game developer is more like a B- game developer that doesn't listen to criticism and refuses to engage with the competitive community.  We also partner with low-tier tournament organizers who deal with the same issues over and over again, or decent tournament organizers who don't put in the time because Halo is a low-tier esport.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're severly underestimating the parity of real sports leagues and especially the NFL. Drafts, free agency, salary cap. All of it works to give teams a fair shot.

Just look at last year. The defending superbowl champs miss the playoffs coming 3rd in thier division of 4 teams. The panthers are seen as a top 1-3 team following a 15-1 season. They miss the playoffs as well. The Cowboys, an afterthought heading in to the season become the #1 seed. Atlanta was largely seen as the 3rd or even 4th best team in their division. They make the superbowl and should have won it.

The gap between the "15th" best team and the "32nd" is not that wide. Who the 15th and 32nd best team are can change on a dime.

In an esport there is no parity. The 4 best players can and usually do form up to make a clear cut #1 team. The pro teams have all the best players and if an am team discovers a pro level talent, a pro team takes him. This is one of the biggest flaws with esports.

'Fair shot' and parity are two different things. The differential between the 16th NFL team and the 32nd team isn't that large... but the differential between the 1st team and the 32nd is massive- which is why removing the bottom half of the league would have no impact on the 32nd team's chances of making the Super Bowl.

The browns haven't had a playoff birth since 2002 (which is, coincidently the year the league added more teams.) in that same time the patriots have had 13 playoff berths, 6 super bowl berths, and 4 titles. The disparity is due to better front offices, scouting,salary cap management, and coaching. 'Fair shots' don't negate talent differentials, which is again, what determines odds.

If we removed the bottom 15 teams from the league, save the browns, their playoff odds wouldn't change a bit, despite the league getting smaller.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Without support from MSFT / 343 we can't run Halo. MSFT has a deal with Virgin Gaming. 343 has expressed interest in working with us." - sundance

FGNY3eG.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think Destiny will get insane numbers on twitch with the new game dropping (and the beta this week)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Dates are wrong, those were on wednesday/thursday/friday

Dates are right if you're from Europe  :kappa:

I think both sites are based in Europe, so it's quite possible the scrim times are registered as Saturday morning when they took place Friday night.

Dates come from the API, I dont touch them.

Maybe if there was big money in it you wouldn't have been top5.

for sure, still would have enjoyed it though

that is really cool! but my big take away was that you were in hs. in high school you dont need the money and the thrill of winning is everything since you were (i'm assuming) living at home with no real financial burdens. as a player trying to make a living off a game, then the money is very important. again nothing against the time and money you surely put into the game, but the consequences for losing are not the same when you are someone's dependent vs when you are trying to support yourself and make a career out of the game

lol can't tell if being sarcastic?  anyway many of the new Halo pros are in high school, and the whole point is that people shouldn't expect to make a living off competing in a video game, but instead play for the love of competition etc.  Walshy has often talked about how early H1 tournaments basically never paid out anything to cover expenses, but that didn't stop people from competing.  Or Beach LANs today, Patch wins and just buys everyone dinner or whatever, it's not about the money; it's not as if it needs to take the place of a full-time job, as you don't need to game 100 hours per week to be the best (except in Brood War).  

Vic X, Snipedown, OG2 etc. finished BA degrees while competing at the highest level; being pro can be a hobby (+ part-time job) without being a central source of income.  Any cash you make is pure bonus, imo.

Anyway I'm guessing no one gives a shit, I guess let's talk about Dreamhack instead

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sorry if it's obvious as hell, but what's the video meant to be showing?

Can he only stretch his hand that far before it begins to shake? 

Sorry if it's obvious as hell, but what's the video meant to be showing?

he's having a hard time opening his hand

look at this fingers tremble

• Upvote (+1) 5

lol can't tell if being sarcastic?  anyway many of the new Halo pros are in high school, and the whole point is that people shouldn't expect to make a living off competing in a video game, but instead play for the love of competition etc.  Walshy has often talked about how early H1 tournaments basically never paid out anything to cover expenses, but that didn't stop people from competing.  Or Beach LANs today, Patch wins and just buys everyone dinner or whatever, it's not about the money; it's not as if it needs to take the place of a full-time job, as you don't need to game 100 hours per week to be the best (except in Brood War).  

Vic X, Snipedown, OG2 etc. finished BA degrees while competing at the highest level; being pro can be a hobby (+ part-time job) without being a central source of income.  Any cash you make is pure bonus, imo.

Anyway I'm guessing no one gives a shit, I guess let's talk about Dreamhack instead

no i wasnt being sarcastic, that is really cool that you achieved that., but the thing is, when h1 was getting going, it really was just for fun but once mlg stepped in, money could be made. NA esporst have come a long way and this is a viable career option bc of orgs and dev financial support. if people want to make a career out of it, then they will be concerned about the money, especially with the time they put into it. i bet snipedown/ola/lethul etc consider this more than a hobby or part time gig. i'm sure people felt that it should just be done as a hobby when pro football/basketball was starting up. halo will probably never be a game that makes you a millionaire, but could provide a good living for pros if it was done correctly and i somehow doubt 343 or esl will move to make that happen without the pros and ams becoming vocal about it

• Upvote (+1) 1

Personality going to always be the biggest thing, but I still think starting off on a game that attract more eyes is a good place to start then figure out what you want to do from there. With that said, obviously Pro players, casters, etc will always have a leg up against someone like BobbyHill117 when starting to stream.

If I'm being completely honest though, if you're trying to make a career out of this - don't. Treat it as a hobby and for fun first then hope to grow from there. Maybe you'll get a break, most likely you won't. Just have fun with it.

--------------

Random, but am I the only one that doesn't really watch streamers? I mainly watch Twitch for tournaments and gaming events going on.

Obviously I don't think it's wrong to have a primary game but Ninja's got a point, Halo won't cut it right now. However you can build of what you have when you create a following it might help. My sister was COD only for a while and now she does pretty much every genre (which is what she prefers as like me, she likes games in general not just FPS ones) people just followed as she transitioned to playing all the games she wanted to rather then the only one she was known for. (which is what she wanted to do)

As for your random question, I play Elite Dangerous and Final Fantasy XIV and when I do things that don't require a lot of concentration I put streamers on the side.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

he's having a hard time opening his hand

look at this fingers tremble

TY! 

Does anyone wanna recommend hand exercises people should be doing to prevent this sort of thing?

• Upvote (+1) 4

TY! 

Does anyone wanna recommend hand exercises people should be doing to prevent this sort of thing?

Not playing video games for 8+ hours a day is a good start.

But for real though:

• Upvote (+1) 9

Not playing video games for 8+ hours a day is a good start.

But for real though:

Halo 5 is making that an easy take these days :(

TY!

• Upvote (+1) 2

SB sick at World, and now this with SD. I really want to see OpTic and nV be 100% when they go against each other this weekend.

Get well @@Snip3down!

• Upvote (+1) 5