CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Tbh I'd rather not have 343 support. Let the community do it ourselves. We could get MLG back. Get our preferred settings. Have open, honest and TIMELY communication.

Remember when this was a thing before and a bunch of people didn't get paid?

Dates are wrong, those were on wednesday/thursday/friday

Halo5arena has it on the 15th too, so it was Saturday.

It sure is awful to see this Tweet.

but he's not wrong.

If I'm a new streamer and I want to grow, don't limit yourself to just Halo. Do other major (recent) games like PUBG, Overwatch, Destiny 2, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Smart advice from Ninja. Halo 5 is one of the worst games to stream. If you're not a pro, I'm not watching - literally zero entertainment from watching matchmaking. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tbh I'd rather not have 343 support. Let the community do it ourselves. We could get MLG back. Get our preferred settings. Have open, honest and TIMELY communication.

Halo isn't profitable, every TO would need the monetary backing of 343.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah with 10k prize pools at best, sounds awful.

Awful for the competitors. Better for the spectators.

I'd watch an AM tourney for fun using evolved settings over pros playing default h5 for a million bucks.

Halo5arena has it on the 15th too, so it was Saturday.

I think both sites are based in Europe, so it's quite possible the scrim times are registered as Saturday morning when they took place Friday night.

Actually completely disagree with this. Twitch is so over-saturated at the moment with people doing exactly this, unless you're bringing something new to the table (manny, DrDis) or have insanely high level gameplay on each, it's tough to get seen this way. 

The best way to build an audience is to pick a game and stream it at around the same timeframe every day. I've been doing that every month this year and grown my channel from 700~ followers to almost 5k. 

Variety streaming is near impossible to get right unless you are a good personality or you bring something new... knowing you demographic is key. If some of your followers don't like PUBG/Destiny/other games you're playing in your rotation you alienate a portion of your viewerbase and lose viewership & potential exposure because of it. It's all about snowballing!

Personality going to always be the biggest thing, but I still think starting off on a game that attract more eyes is a good place to start then figure out what you want to do from there. With that said, obviously Pro players, casters, etc will always have a leg up against someone like BobbyHill117 when starting to stream.

If I'm being completely honest though, if you're trying to make a career out of this - don't. Treat it as a hobby and for fun first then hope to grow from there. Maybe you'll get a break, most likely you won't. Just have fun with it.

--------------

Random, but am I the only one that doesn't really watch streamers? I mainly watch Twitch for tournaments and gaming events going on.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The best way to build an audience is to pick a game and stream it at around the same timeframe every day. I've been doing that every month this year and grown my channel from 700~ followers to almost 5k. 

I agree, but I don't think Halo would be a wise choice for someone looking to grow their channel/brand. It worked out for you because you're already a big part of the competitive community.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think both sites are based in Europe, so it's quite possible the scrim times are registered as Saturday morning when they took place Friday night.

This is the case, scrims are usually dated as the day after.

I agree, but I don't think Halo would be a wise choice for someone looking to grow their channel/brand. It worked out for you because you're already a big part of the competitive community.

I streamed at  inconsistent hours before the start of the year even when I was considered a part of the community and saw little/no growth... It was only when I started streaming in a more consistent timeframe did I see improved growth.

No doubt me being a caster/personality helps out a lot though, no disputing that. But the advice I give people who ask in my chat are

-Be consistent hours wise (people will be able to find you again after watching you previously if they forgot to follow)

-Pick a game and stick to it (previously mentioned, don't alienate audience)

-Be active and a personality regardless of viewers (hard to do definitely, but is probably the most important. the amount of people who click on streams randomly is crazy; you're more likely to retain that viewer if you're being active and fun)

I followed these and it worked out... luck & grinding comes into it too. Getting the right viewer to stick around and chat is all down to random chance, but big streamers viewership didn't happen overnight. It came from consistently grinding at the same time every day.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Actually completely disagree with this. Twitch is so over-saturated at the moment with people doing exactly this, unless you're bringing something new to the table (manny, DrDis) or have insanely high level gameplay on each, it's tough to get seen this way. 

Variety streaming is near impossible to get right unless you are a good personality or you bring something new... knowing you demographic is key. If some of your followers don't like PUBG/Destiny/other games you're playing in your rotation you alienate a portion of your viewerbase and lose viewership & potential exposure because of it. It's all about snowballing!

I think it has worked for you because you are a big personality within the halo community. i think there is a reason that when you look at halo during the day it sits between 200-400 viewers. currently its at 251 and that's because most people dont care about watching it. i hardly watch scrims anymore. like @@CyReN mentioned, i mainly watch for tournaments, but even then my interest in halo is taking a backseat to LoL, csgo, hearthstone, overwatch etc. twitch is becoming more crowded and a small game like halo may help you cut your teeth and get your act together but if you want to build a large following, i doubt h5 is the path to success for a new face

• Upvote (+1) 1

Want to grow your twitch channel? Don't stream:

1. MMOs
  2. Halo

ehh you might be right with MMOs but Runescape has a huge twitch audience.  I think thats different because you can follow someone's progress rather than watch them compete in arena or whatever.  But ya WoW i think theres only a handful of people who get decent numbers on twitch.  RS theres quite a few and theres also plenty of medium sized channels for whatever reason.

I played a game similar to Magic: The Gathering (called L5R) in high school, was eventually ranked 5th in the world, and my friends and I drove constantly to tournaments both regionally (within Florida/Georgia) and nationally ... despite all the time/effort poured into it, I never even considered making money off it, or assumed that I was "owed" a return on my investment.  I loved the game and loved the competition, loved meeting other players across the country, etc.  Basically I just don't get the entitlement, in general; no one is owed money for being good at a game

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I played a game similar to Magic: The Gathering (called L5R) in high school, was eventually ranked 5th in the world, and my friends and I drove constantly to tournaments both regionally (within Florida/Georgia) and nationally ... despite all the time/effort poured into it, I never even considered making money off it, or assumed that I was "owed" a return on my investment.  I loved the game and loved the competition, loved meeting other players across the country, etc.  Basically I just don't get the entitlement, in general; no one is owed money for being good at a game

That sounds like the NCAA's argument for not allowing players to profit off of their brand. Despite the NCAA and colleges making billions of dollars on athletes that may or not go pro for a variety of reason, they do not allow players to sell their brand in any form (signatures, merch, etc) and ofc at best players get free schooling. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I played a game similar to Magic: The Gathering (called L5R) in high school, was eventually ranked 5th in the world, and my friends and I drove constantly to tournaments both regionally (within Florida/Georgia) and nationally ... despite all the time/effort poured into it, I never even considered making money off it, or assumed that I was "owed" a return on my investment. I loved the game and loved the competition, loved meeting other players across the country, etc. Basically I just don't get the entitlement, in general; no one is owed money for being good at a game

Maybe if there was big money in it you wouldn't have been top5.

That sounds like the NCAA's argument for not allowing players to profit off of their brand. Despite the NCAA and colleges making billions of dollars on athletes that may or not go pro for a variety of reason, they do not allow players to sell their brand in any form (signatures, merch, etc) and ofc at best players get free schooling.

Halo pros aren't making MS billions of dollars.

We should stop paying so much attention to that guy, he doesn't give a fuck about this scene anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 10

Implying top NCAA football players aren't making bank under the table...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mlg doesn't run tournies without dev support. It's why they didn't run h4
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

that is really cool! but my big take away was that you were in hs. in high school you dont need the money and the thrill of winning is everything since you were (i'm assuming) living at home with no real financial burdens. as a player trying to make a living off a game, then the money is very important. again nothing against the time and money you surely put into the game, but the consequences for losing are not the same when you are someone's dependent vs when you are trying to support yourself and make a career out of the game

• Upvote (+1) 1