CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

You're not a Halo nerd. If you were, you'd know not to act like Lethul hasn't had more impact on his esport than any gamer has had on theirs or any competitive athlete has had on their scene. That dude has made legends who can't shoot irrelevant overnight. He's made Snip3down, supposedly the best player in the game, work on his sniping in the offseason just to stay relevant and to keep up. He made Evil Geniuses go from a Top 1 squad to a fringe competitor just by leavin. Think about that. Roy is a Halo demi-god, but EG has yet to make LAN Grand Finals in the last 18 months. Try traveling to the year 2011 and tell Tom Ryan that a 5'4 obj lackey has had more impact on Halo in a 3 year span than he will ever have. He'd probably burst a blood vessel.

Steph Curry and Klay Thompson will never be to NBA what Lethul is to Halo. It's not even close.

2g60yqW.jpg

NBA basketball is played at a more advanced level than ever on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. This is more or less objectively true. Stylistically, some prefer the state of the game from 80's/90's (I absolutely love that era from a competitive standpoint, but the gameplay is extremely rough to go back and watch). In my opinion, the game is also far more entertaining now with the significant emergence of the three pointer and the way teams are using analytics to find more efficiencies to exploit (now, sometimes this does go bad, i.e. some of the bullshit we've seen with free throws and the way Harden can draw shooting fouls coming off screens, etc.). 

Also, while it's somewhat of a stretch to definitively state Curry has had more impact on his sport than any athlete has had on theirs, stating simply that the best shooter in NBA history has merely "caused a meta shift" seems a bit disingenuous.

IMO, we're at an all-time high for the NBA and it's only going to get better from here. I love that league.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

NBA basketball is played at a more advanced level than ever on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. This is more or less objectively true. Stylistically, some prefer the state of the game from 80's/90's (I absolutely love that era from a competitive standpoint, but the gameplay is extremely rough to go back and watch). In my opinion, the game is also far more entertaining now with the significant emergence of the three pointer and the way teams are using analytics to find more efficiencies to exploit (now, sometimes this does go bad, i.e. some of the bullshit we've seen with free throws and the way Harden can draw shooting fouls coming off screens, etc.). 

Also, while it's somewhat of a stretch to definitively state Curry has had more impact on his sport than any athlete has had on theirs, stating simply that the best shooter in NBA history has merely "caused a meta shift" seems a bit disingenuous.

IMO, we're at an all-time high for the NBA and it's only going to get better from here. I love that league.

and yet the 2016-2017 ratings were the worst in history. The league has lost over half of it's viewers since the Jordan Era. You could make the case that this is caused by a combination of a terrible style of basketball and a severely watered down talent pool. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 6

and yet the 2016-2017 ratings were the worst in history. The league has lost over half of it's viewers since the Jordan Era. You could make the case that this is caused by a combination of a terrible style of basketball and a severely watered down talent pool. 

It's TV ratings maybe, which is a dying medium (unless Net Neutrality is axed then the ISPs which double as cable companies can... well ok i wont go back there).  The NBA has done a better job of embracing the internet and mobile viewership than any of the other major sports.

You're not an NBA nerd. If you were, you'd know not to act like Curry hasn't had more impact on his sport than any athlete has had on theirs or any competitive gamer has had on their scene. That dude has made centers who can't shoot irrelevant overnight. He's made Lebron James, supposedly the best player in the game, work on his shooting in the offseason just to stay relevant and to keep up. He made the Cavs choose to double team him in the Finals over double teaming Kevin Durant. Think about that. KD is a basketball demi-god, but the Cavs chose to double team the 6'3 point guard he plays with instead. Try traveling to the year 1998 and tell Michael Jordan that a 6'3point guard has had more impact on basketball in a 3 year span than he will ever have. He'd probably burst a blood vessel.

Snakebite and Royal 2 will never be to Halo what Curry is to basketball. It's not even close.

Ok well lets say Snakebite and Royal 2 are top 3. You could make a compelling argument for top 2 but lets just say top 3. Now lets name the top 3 NBA players. 1. Lebron 2. KD 3. Kawhi after that its a bit more subjective but most would say AD, PG13 etc. Im not talking about impact on the sport. Im talking about player rankings. Besides if you think anyone has had a bigger impact on basketball than Micheal Jordan idk what to tell you. Curry is not top 5 in his league where as PJ and Matt are. And yes the Warriors have changed basketball and the main catalyst for that change have been Curry and Klay. As far as doubling Curry goes, of course they're gonna double the 6'3 guy cuz the 7 footer that plays like a 6'3 guard can pass out of the double like its not even there. That in itself is an argument for why KD is better than Curry. Also if you think LeBron isn't the best player in the NBA you're either willfully ignorant or just not paying attention. Im not acting like Curry hasn't had an enormous impact on the NBA and changed how the game is played. Im simply saying Curry isn't as good as some other ppl in his league, one of which plays on his team. The same can't be said of Snakebite and Royal 2. Anywell, thats enough NBA talk for me in a Halo forum if you still wanna talk about this DM me or something.

• Downvote (-1) 2

why do people take shitlin seriously, he LITERALLY makes things up every time he posts

he is the epitome of fake news

• Upvote (+1) 8

One season ago curry had the arguably the greatest offensive season ever, and became the first unanimous mvp ever. He also almost averaged a triple double in the finals, winninv his second ring, yet someone above doesn't think he's a top5 player.Lmao

The finals were the highest rated since jordans last finals.

College basketball is a joke.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

no it's not? college basketball is amazing, especially if you have a rooting interest in a good program

go blue devils

• Upvote (+1) 3

One season ago curry had the arguably the greatest offensive season ever, and became the first unanimous mvp ever. He also almost averaged a triple double in the finals, winninv his second ring, yet someone above doesn't think he's a top5 player.Lmao

The finals were the highest rated since jordans last finals.

Sorry bro had to neg.  I was with  you until this last line and it just erased everything else you said and then some.

no it's not? college basketball is amazing, especially if you have a rooting interest in a good program

go blue devils

Go Uconn! (Grew up 20 minutes away, got my degree there, now live 5 minutes away)

What if this month is just a taste of 2018 :wutface:

We're fucked

Wait 2 seasons ago where he lost the title in the biggest choke job of NBA finals history? or last season when he won the title, KD won finals MVP and Westbrook won regular season MVP? Am i confused or are you? And no i don't think he plays good enough defense to be a top 5 player THIS PAST SEASON. damn I said I was gonna stop my bad.

In no way is it a detriment, when the team only plays well because he's slaying so much. Could it be better? Sure, but that isn't the issue with EG. They don't pE.G.. their advantages enough

everyone else was doing so much small talk (esp. OG2) that I didn't really see it as a detriment, but yeah, he probably should have done a tiny bit more calling out

in terms of Josbe's gameplay itself ... solid but nothing mind-blowing, I dunno.  we'll see what happens on LAN

PM me or Cyren w/ any bad ads and we can have them blocked - need the link though.

I distinctly remember you saying that ads make basically zero money for TB, maybe just cut down on the ads?  esp. on mobile, they're ridiculously terrible

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

go blue devils

It's trash. There's nothing amazing about watching mostly unathletic, low skilled players, shitty lazy zone defense, an unnecessarily long shot clock, 5 sec rule and on top of that, they take more shity threes than the pros do despite struggling to break 70 if that.

It is inferior in every way. The NBA needs to make the G League a legit minor league so top tale rd go there to play before the raft, so we can kill this charade of the student athlete once and for all

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 6

It's trash. There's nothing amazing about watching mostly unathletic, low skilled players, shitty lazy zone defense, an unnecessarily long shot clock, 5 sec rule and on top of that, they take more shity threes than the pros do despite struggling to break 70 if that.

It is inferior in every way. The NBA needs to make the G League a legit minor league so top tale rd go there to play before the raft, so we can kill this charade of the student athlete once and for all

also College sports bring in way too much $$$ for these kids to get nothing but a scholarship. its a crime and it needs to stop

• Upvote (+1) 2

I distinctly remember you saying that ads make basically zero money for TB, maybe just cut down on the ads?  esp. on mobile, they're ridiculously terrible

Ads make money. 

We dont add redirect ads, sometimes they slip through from our provider. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad, some people appreciate watching all skill levels of a sport they love

"it's not the highest level of competition therefore it's 100% unenjoyable" cool story bro

some people actually like sports for the sport itself, i watch tons of college and high school sports, i watch regional MMA fights, i watch "amateur" esports and i enjoy all of it

also College sports bring in way too much $$$ for these kids to get nothing but a scholarship. its a crime and it needs to stop

that's a different argument entirely, and i agree btw, these kids are getting robbed

Go Uconn! (Grew up 20 minutes away, got my degree there, now live 5 minutes away)

now that's a fine school and program, my childhood friend went there and loved it

• Upvote (+1) 5

Wait 2 seasons ago where he lost the title in the biggest choke job of NBA finals history? or last season when he won the title, KD won finals MVP and Westbrook won regular season MVP? Am i confused or are you? And no i don't think he plays good enough defense to be a top 5 player THIS PAST SEASON. damn I said I was gonna stop my bad.

You don't know basketball. curry is the key to their entire offense. Go rewatch the finals and see the lanes he opened just by being on the court. Go watch how on a fast break how defenders ran to him and just let Durant get easy buckets.

"Even Michael Jordan—people had the Jordan rules—but nothing has ever been as dramatic as what I've seen from opponents' defensive schemes as how they have to deal with Steph,"

Everything we do is based on Steph," Kerr said. "From the very beginning of this run, Steph was the guy who started it ... I feel like our foundation is built around not only his talent, but his character, his selflessness, his joy, his work ethic.

"Literally our offensive system is built around the chaos that he creates for defenses. I've never seen a player who elicited so much of a defensive schematic response because of his ability to shoot from 30 feet and dribble around everybody."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2717120-steve-kerr-stephen-currys-impact-on-opposing-ds-greater-than-michael-jordans.amp.html

Without Durant curry killed every mvp candidate in April, mostly on the road too. Westbrook winning mvp is irrelevant. It was the media's way of avenging Durant leaving. And it was clear as day curry was hurt last year.

Literally no oone would call pg13, or Ad top5 players. No one

• Upvote (+1) 2

the game is also far more entertaining now with the significant emergence of the three pointer and the way teams are using analytics to find more efficiencies to exploit (now, sometimes this does go bad,

For those that may be interested in mikeface's mentioned analytics, I highly recommend this video.  This guy shows how machine learning and computer-based analytics programs can break down a sport to an absolutely insane level.  If you're in the camp of "stats don't matter" in games/sports/etc. this video will help illuminate the counterpoint: We simply aren't tracking stats deeply enough yet.

The video is a TED talk from a guy that runs analytics for many of the best teams in the NBA right now, and it shows things like how they figure out how good a shooter is vs how good the shots he takes is... how they taught a computer what a pick and roll is... just some really incredible stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 7

You don't know basketball. curry is the key to their entire offense. Go rewatch the finals and see the lanes he opened just by being on the court. Go watch how on a fast break how defenders ran to him and just let Durant get easy buckets.

"Even Michael Jordan—people had the Jordan rules—but nothing has ever been as dramatic as what I've seen from opponents' defensive schemes as how they have to deal with Steph,"

Everything we do is based on Steph," Kerr said. "From the very beginning of this run, Steph was the guy who started it ... I feel like our foundation is built around not only his talent, but his character, his selflessness, his joy, his work ethic.

"Literally our offensive system is built around the chaos that he creates for defenses. I've never seen a player who elicited so much of a defensive schematic response because of his ability to shoot from 30 feet and dribble around everybody."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2717120-steve-kerr-stephen-currys-impact-on-opposing-ds-greater-than-michael-jordans.amp.html

Without Durant curry killed every mvp candidate in April, mostly on the road too. Westbrook winning mvp is irrelevant. It was the media's way of avenging Durant leaving. And it was clear as day curry was hurt last year.

Literally no oone would call pg13, or Ad top5 players. No one

i dont have Westbrook top 5. did you read the shit i typed? Westbrook is worse at defense than Curry. Point is you were meshing the last 2 seasons together like he was the second coming of MJ. Curry is fucking amazing at basketball. I just think there are a few guys better. And when you have 2 MVPs on the same team one of em is gonna get easy buckets. Don't forget about Draymond. That team wouldn't be nearly what it is without him. And don't tell me what i know about basketball.