CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I would urge you to look very closely at both sides of the argument and support whatever you feel is the most freedom-affirming position. However, for my money, net neutrality is the only way the internet functions as well and as wonderful as it does.

I'm guessing the position where they literally take away freedoms won't be the freedom-affirming position

• Upvote (+1) 9

uhhh......sorry but here in America we have a saying, "you don't get a free lunch" Net-neutrality is literally a "free-lunch" for consumers. I shouldn't have to pay the same price as my neighbor who has 5 vampires for kids that never see the light of day and spend all their time gaming. When Net-neutrality finally dies we will get the internet back on track to the basic free-market principles that our great country was built upon. You want to sit in mom's basement for 10 hours a day "gaming" then you will get to finally pay your fair share. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 44

Get ready for your Comcast "Gamer's Package". For an extra $25/month you will have the speeds you need to compete in the online gaming community! Just like it should have always been. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 17

What is Net Neutrality and is it only for Muricans ??

Ending Net Neutrality may lead to:

Tiered internet structure which can make Internet very expensive for web users. Users who consume lots of data (Netflix, Youtube, video games, etc.) are especially at risk for massive price spikes.

Monopolies. ISPs could also decide to create their own websites to compete with any existing website like Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter, then put their competition in a more expensive internet package, pricing them out of the market, causing them to shrivel up and be replaced by your ISP brand version of [insert site].

Stifled innovation. Even if the ISP aren't trying to directly compete, tiered internet can stifle innovative new upstart websites who can't afford to pay the ISP the premium to be included in an affordable tier of Internet. This will severely limit their visibility and ability to gain traction.

Censorship. ISPs can censor anything that they disagree with for any reason. Like this very post! And boy they have tried! Ending net neutrality will make their censorship process instantaneous and without recourse.

Political oppression. Government may be able to have content taken down (or more stealthily priced out of the market) for political reasons indirectly, using the ISP's own 'free will' as a proxy. Meaning it gets to completely subvert the First Amendment free speech protection. The ubiquity of crony capitalism, the situation that has long existed where there is a close relationship between business (lobbyists) and government makes this a very real possibility without network neutrality to protect us.

I believe someone already mentioned this but this could set an ugly precedent that should scare you even if you're not American.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I clearly said in the video, a video was made of him being terrible while pro. Have you seen the video in question? Watch it, then either admit you are wrong or learn some actual reading comprehension. 

That's my video and people like you ruin it.

If you can't tell these were cherry-picked moments from an event just to make a funny video based on the trash talk he did pre-event, then I don't know man.

Randa took that video in stride when released because he knew it wasn't serious. (Mad respect to him. He's a homie.)

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 2

r/woahdudeURGENT

Today (July 12) the Internet makes its stand! Click here to protect net neutrality!

u/rWoahDude

The FCC is about to slash net neutrality protections that prevent Internet Service Providers (like Comcast and Verizon) from censoring, blocking, and throttling websites and apps they don't approve of, or charging us extra fees to access data because of its content.

This affects every redditor and every Internet user. And we still have a few days left to stop it.

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Click here to protect net neutrality!

3041 Comments62827

Write a comment

rWoahDudeThe Dude • 11h

We depend on Net Neutrality to keep the Internet the free and open marketplace of ideas.

Ending Net Neutrality may lead to:

Tiered internet structure which can make Internet very expensive for web users. Users who consume lots of data (Netflix, Youtube, video games, etc.) are especially at risk for massive price spikes.

Monopolies. ISPs could also decide to create their own websites to compete with any existing website like Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter, then put their competition in a more expensive internet package, pricing them out of the market, causing them to shrivel up and be replaced by your ISP brand version of [insert site].

Stifled innovation. Even if the ISP aren't trying to directly compete, tiered internet can stifle innovative new upstart websites who can't afford to pay the ISP the premium to be included in an affordable tier of Internet. This will severely limit their visibility and ability to gain traction.

Censorship. ISPs can censor anything that they disagree with for any reason. Like this very post! And boy they have tried! Ending net neutrality will make their censorship process instantaneous and without recourse.

Political oppression. Government may be able to have content taken down (or more stealthily priced out of the market) for political reasons indirectly, using the ISP's own 'free will' as a proxy. Meaning it gets to completely subvert the First Amendment free speech protection. The ubiquity of crony capitalism, the situation that has long existed where there is a close relationship between business (lobbyists) and government makes this a very real possibility without network neutrality to protect us.

I believe someone already mentioned this but this could set an ugly precedent that should scare you even if you're not American.

LOL. Typical American that wants something for nothing. 

• Downvote (-1) 17

Get ready for your Comcast "Gamer's Package". For an extra $25/month you will have the speeds you need to compete in the online gaming community! Just like it should have always been. 

Get ready for the current "standard" package to become more expensive with only LOWER tiers available.

Get ready for your private information to be logged and sold

Get ready to have free speech stifled.

Get ready for every streaming service, data hosting service etc to start charging significantly more as they get pegged by every ISP that their data touches.

Get ready for technological stagnation as entrepreneurs and start-ups get surgically priced out of the market.

C'mon man.  These companies are already making shitloads of cash while providing shit-tier service.  This will give them the tools and legal back to make it worse.

That's my video and people like you ruin it.

If you can't tell these were cherry-picked moments from an event just to make a funny video based on the trash talk he did pre-event, then I don't know man.

Randa took that video in stride when released because he knew it wasn't serious. (Mad respect to him. He's a homie.)

:laughing:  :laughing:  thank you.  I love being right when people are being dicks.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can we ban shitlin?

This is way worse than anything Cooper ever did.

so I get banned for an unpopular (albeit correct) opinion of huge issue in America right now? I get it, change is hard, but the fact remains that in this country people are overusing the internet and not paying their fair share. People that stream video all day on Twitch, Youtube, Netflix, etc. should pay significantly more than responsible consumers who don't. That's generally how a free-market works. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 20

Did you not see the part in my post where I said I am all for Net Neutrality? I just thought the giant red sign was obnoxious. I have already signed multiple petitions to keep net neutrality.

How is a red sign obnoxious when isp's are trying to make a commodity out of paying customers, raising prices and limiting the offering In the process...THAT'S obnoxious. You're complaining about the wrong thing.

so I get banned for an unpopular (albeit correct) opinion of huge issue in America right now? I get it, change is hard, but the fact remains that in this country people are overusing the internet and not paying their fair share. People that stream video all day on Twitch, Youtube, Netflix, etc. should pay significantly more than responsible consumers who don't. That's generally how a free-market works. 

In what possible way would you think people paying more for different access would help anything?

• Upvote (+1) 4

NO.  Just fucking NO. stop it.

Free market works when there are alternative competitors in each market and when the item being sold isn't essential.  For a lot of us the internet isn't essential sure, but for MANY MANY people, myself included it is absolutely essential.  I work remotely testing software.  Im running shit through my internet all the time.  If im getting throttled im not useful to my company because i can't push the bandwidth i need for proper testing.  If my company is a competitor to one of the ISPs, they might just block my traffic entirely.  I lose my job or pay out the nose, getting nickel and dimed the whole way.

For businesses that rely on the internet, this is terrible.  Its only good for the few monopolistic ISPs with their carved-out markets so their CEOs can buy more yachts.

The internet has become an essential part of running businesses, financial markets, flow of information.  In first world societies, its no longer an "Extra" and need to run fairly for everybody.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Oh my God this is the stupidest thing I've read this year.You apparently neglected to read my post at all so I'm going to assume you're either trolling or the r word.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

uhhh......sorry but here in America we have a saying, "you don't get a free lunch" Net-neutrality is literally a "free-lunch" for consumers. I shouldn't have to pay the same price as my neighbor who has 5 vampires for kids that never see the light of day and spend all their time gaming. When Net-neutrality finally dies we will get the internet back on track to the basic free-market principles that our great country was built upon. You want to sit in mom's basement for 10 hours a day "gaming" then you will get to finally pay your fair share. 

how is it a free lunch? we pay for bandwidth not data amount. free market says that we pay isps for bandwidth to do things online. if twitch or netflix or xbl needs money yo support their infrastructure they then get to charge us. free market then dictates that we can tell the company to fuck off and let them disappear or pay the subscription/sub to streamers/whatever. controlling how much data we can access and logging and storing that for their gain with no other outlet to get access to the internet is grabbing us by the balls and twisting them with no way to make it stop. not only will isps be allowed to charge exorbitant fees for using the internet, they can cut bandwidth to those sites they dont want you to use and before you say dont have internet, do us a favor and cut yours first. i pay for my bandwidth. fuck you if you think i now have to pay again to use it

• Upvote (+1) 1

Guys, I get it. If I could I would ban people who think Halo 4 is better than Halo 1 - but you can't do that.

People will always say stuff that may seem incorrect to the masses / trying to get a rise out of people. I look at Shitlin like a "Skip Bayless" type and just pass over his posts since they usually have very little merit. Do the same, add them to your ignore list if you think it's annoying or bad. Unless a forum rule is broken, we aren't going to act.

Please stop comparing him to Cooper also, not even close.

It's the internet, people say stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 5

America is not a country, it's a continent. I'm not from the U.S, yet I'm American. Stop being an idiot.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

So, uh, anyway...

Str8 Rippin won the first 5 games in scrims last night against Onxygen Supremecy and then proceeded to lose the next 8 games straight losing the scrim 8-5. So, yeah, that's Halo related and somewhat interesting.

i know it's unrealistic but i wish series were best of 13 for this reason  :mj: