CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

People gave UMG some shit for Daytona, me included (and it was warranted) but they literally took me for food and asked me to list everything that was wrong with the event and what I wanted to see for the future, they also took ownership of problems instead of passing the book. For that the company and people behind it gained a massive amount of respect and belief from myself that they want to and will do great things for Halo, congrats on the gig @@Saucey @@CyReN and best of luck for the future.

What the hell is this post? WHERE ARE THE MEMES.

Thats what i do. When i want to chill on the couch in front of the TV... i play HCS on a smurph.

If i want to sweat, i play on my main on a monitor.

The problem is that HCS is the only way to avoid AR-spam-fest frustrations. Its honestly amazing how much different and less fun the game is when everybody spawns with an AR.

Which is why people should support menke wanting to merge social/ranked.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I agree with most of this, except I think ranked should just be HCS, FFA and Doubles

Swat shouldn't be a ranked playlist.

On a personal level I agree with both of you, but Swat has it's own community and I don't think it would be any more or less popular in social, and doesn't make sense as a rotational playlist just because it's very different than any other gametype. I would also personally love to see HCS settings across the board for ranked, but I really am trying to keep everyone in mind and I think for anything to be accepted by players who are fine with the settings but hate change would require compromise and an initially small step.

I can't tell you how many people i run into in HCS that tell me they're just trying to chill and that i'm playing too sweaty. i thought that was the point of the competitive, ranked playlist?

I think the counter to that philosophy is probably that all in all it's a game and you're supposed to have fun while playing it. More specifically, I've only ever seen a playlist called sweaty if it's intentionally skewed towards the more competitive settings and higher skilled community. The challenge in this is making each playlist fun for every level of player. If it's not, populations die off. I'm not going into detail right now about every way this relates to H5, but Halo 3 did it very well and maintained a population because of it.

Which is why people should support menke wanting to merge social/ranked.

Yes! I think its a brilliant idea honestly

• Upvote (+1) 1

So when Halo 3 gets backwards compatibility onto Xbox One it'll revive Halo right?

Probably not. Because if it has a release anything close to Reach's backwards compatibility, it'll be unplayable and a large portion of the Halo 3 population will try it, see it's broken, and never try again.

If I could speak specifically to just this part of your post, when Reach initially went backward compatible, yes it had some performance issues. Since then, around the time of OG Black ops' BC release (which was a locked 60fps by the way), Microsoft seemed to begin a second phase of back compat updates. These updates brought many games, including Reach, to or above their performance on the 360. Digital Foundry did a whole video on it, and since then most titles have followed suit and meet or exceed their performance on the 360. I'd have to ask someone who played it at RTX to know for sure, but I would assume H3 BC will be the same story.

Also, as far as the 30fps vs 60fps debate goes, fewer people care than you think. I love my 60fps but BotW is probably one of my favorite single player games to date and its locked to 20fps in some sections. Destiny is still one of the most popular games on console, and Destiny 2 will wreck almost every other game this year except WW2, and they're both 30fps on console. I understand it's important, and I do have a strong preference, as do many players, but some games are so good you don't think about it. We'll see about H3 when it comes back.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think he's really good but for so long they told us how healthy the population was, but now we are finally seeing the truth with these matchmaking updates that aren't fixing the problems because the population can't sustain them. I wish they'd just be honest with us, and then hopefully with themselves.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think he's really good but for so long they told us how healthy the population was, but now we are finally seeing the truth with these matchmaking updates that aren't fixing the problems because the population can't sustain them. I wish they'd just be honest with us, and then hopefully with themselves.

We need this level of honesty from all levels of the development cycle if possible, especially the Sandbox designers.

We just want a good Halo game that is a Halo game, at the end of the day.

• Upvote (+1) 7

RE: Population, I'd kill for just a % per playlist, like modern COD. Don't think we'll ever see raw numbers again, but at least I would be able to see where I should be matchmaking to try and find a local game (I'm guessing it's Team Arena). 

RE: Population, I'd kill for just a % per playlist, like modern COD. Don't think we'll ever see raw numbers again, but at least I would be able to see where I should be matchmaking to try and find a local game (I'm guessing it's Team Arena). 

definitely not team arena, that playlist had like 2 champs last season lol

I would really like to host a throwback Halo 3 tournament.

Also a massive PUBG tournament would be pretty awesome. 

My understanding is that PUBG tournaments are not allowed to distribute prize money. But it seems like you guys could do some really cool things with your relationship with Astro on merch only prizes.

My understanding is that PUBG tournaments are not allowed to distribute prize money. But it seems like you guys could do some really cool things with your relationship with Astro on merch only prizes.

How does that work?

How does that work?

The game developer is taking a stance that no tournaments can award prize money to competitors while the game is still in Early Access. They don't want people competing for money when there may be unfair or game breaking bugs that appear.

It is OK for tournaments to award prizes however (Astro Headsets for example), but not cash.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The game developer is taking a stance that no tournaments can award prize money to competitors while the game is still in Early Access. They don't want people competing for money when there may be unfair or game breaking bugs that appear.

It is OK for tournaments to award prizes however (Astro Headsets for example), but not cash.

That's fair but I'm sure once they get out of EA they'll boot up the competitive scene.

I'm fascinated by everyone being completely convinced, 100% certain, that they know H5's player population.  If it were really as low as everyone thinks, I doubt the game could support 15-20 playlists.  "Most played" XBL stats =/= accurate population count

I cannot speak for everyone but I think the problem complained about is low population in the HCS playlist. I have a feeling that the game is populated by plenty of kids who randomly have an Xbox and play some H5 because their parents got it for Christmas because they recognized the name and it was $20 bucks. There are also plenty of guys who go to Gamestop on a weekly basis, collect Pokemon cards, recognize that they suck at FPS's but still hop on some big team or action sack because fuck it is Halo.

I know plenty of people that match the descriptions above in real life. People that actually are good, only play HCS and watch tournaments - I know exactly 1 guy in real life that does that not including me. 

Obviously this is pure speculation.

Fuck Proverb and fuck Hoaxer for continually talking about supporting the community and then shitting on Team Beyond when they actually land a partnership for the community with UMG. 

Who the fuck is Proverb? Don't tell me it is the cable guy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I cannot speak for everyone but I think the problem complained about is low population in the HCS playlist. I have a feeling that the game is populated by plenty of kids who randomly have an Xbox and play some H5 because their parents got it for Christmas because they recognized the name and it was $20 bucks. There are also plenty of guys who go to Gamestop on a weekly basis, collect Pokemon cards, recognize that they suck at FPS's but still hop on some big team or action sack because fuck it is Halo.

I know plenty of people that match the descriptions above in real life. People that actually are good, only play HCS and watch tournaments - I know exactly 1 guy in real life that does that not including me.

Obviously this is pure speculation.

Who the fuck is Proverb? Don't tell me it is the cable guy.

He's just some bad kid from Clarksville TN.
  • Downvote (-1) 1