CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The biggest problem is that the HCS playlist is called "HCS" and it's literally the LAST playlist on the screen. Lol it's hilarious how much they want the playlist to fail. Team Arena is first guys I wonder if it has a higher pop hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah I mean all that psychological, product placement stuff helps, but the main issue is that the overwhelmingly majority of a shrinking playerbase prefers NOT to play on settings/maps suitable for esports.

It doesn't matter how many ranked playlists are added/removed as long as this is true.

The real solutions is to make the competitive playlist as a fun as possible and the most rewarding playlist in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Welp, PJ had 40+ kills in a Truth CTF and lost

https://clips.twitch.tv/OpenSolidNigiriTriHard

The thing is the matchmaking system actually did a damn good job making the teams fair.  They lost a long game 3-2.

The problem is that the population is too damn low.  he would need to search focused and restart the search every 2 minutes to avoid that.  It sucks, but its not the matchmaking that's the root of the problem, its the population.  They could tighten it, but with party restrictions and being Onyx, he would probably wait forever for a game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The biggest problem is that the HCS playlist is called "HCS" and it's literally the LAST playlist on the screen. Lol it's hilarious how much they want the playlist to fail. Team Arena is first guys I wonder if it has a higher pop hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm not sure what the normal population numbers are for both playlists, but Team Arena has only 21 champions so far, while HCS has over 150. Season started 5 days ago.

I'm not sure what the normal population numbers are for both playlists, but Team Arena has only 21 champions so far, while HCS has over 150. Season started 5 days ago.

It's skewed because if you want to become a Champion, you probably grind the game, and therefore prefer the more competitive settings.

Overall population is higher in Team Arena.

It's skewed because if you want to become a Champion, you probably grind the game, and therefore prefer the more competitive settings.

I agree with the probably skewed data. But for overall population, where are you getting those numbers from? HaloTracker?

Numbers where?

I agree with the probably skewed data. But for overall population, where are you getting those numbers from? HaloTracker?

This was from one of Menke's update, I do not have the actual data :( Nor do I believe that anyone can get it other than 343.

I'll see if I can dig up but he said something to the effect of "population is split with Team Arena being ahead of a slight margin".

• Upvote (+1) 1

Right.

HCS (rename it arena)

Slayer (not that it deserves to be ranked, but all the "slayer only" kids will throw a fit. And there are a lot of them. Throw a bone)

FFA

2v2

Thats it. Period.

Honestly i would like to see a "Ranked", "Core" and "Quick Play" section.

Ranked is HCS only. Only playlist that gives out "Champs". Tightest skill matching. Exclusive rewards for playing

Core is Slayer, FFA, 2v2. Ranked but stops at "Onyx" without the individual CSR number. Slightly looser skill matching. generic rewards for playing

Quick Play is everything else. unranked. very loose matchmaking. ability to multiqueue. generic rewards for playing.

Every individual playlist needs to have a dedicated progression system a la Halo 3. None of this generic SR-rank crap.

Honestly,I think having slayer as one of the separate playlists was a big mistake that bungie made but I can kinda understand the logic.If you're in ranked hell and you're actually good than you can carry your team.You can't do that with objective gamemodes.

Whenever you're bored, give Menke's twitter interactions a read. Not only are the people tweeting him hilarious and full of attitude, but he just drops so much knowledge on them in response. It's great.

I was reading one thread and one dude was like "fix ranking, you monkey @josh_menke" then throughout the rest of the twitter convo he'd preface replies with "I mean no disrespect but..."

Too fuckin' late bud  :D

• Upvote (+1) 7

Honestly,I think having slayer as one of the separate playlists was a big mistake that bungie made but I can kinda understand the logic.If you're in ranked hell and you're actually good than you can carry your team.You can't do that with objective gamemodes.

100% agree.  Slayer-only should never have been a playlist, but that's long done at this point.  All objective-only playlists have always been poorly populated.

The fact that slayer is so popular in this game is just another piece of evidence that people play this game for the simplicity.  Slayer really requires no thought whatsoever until you get to a fairly high level. Even then, its more of a crapshoot than any of the other gametypes.

really good post

I can't tell you how many people i run into in HCS that tell me they're just trying to chill and that i'm playing too sweaty. i thought that was the point of the competitive, ranked playlist?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm Snipedown,

Now write down

The reasons I'll stomp in Atlanta town

Lethal is an adjective,

But I'll give you some nouns:

The Wizard, The Kid

Then Mikwen astounds

So you left my squad

When we were at the top of our game

Then I had to carry RoyBox

Uphill, both ways

I proved it at X-Games

I'll prove it again

You may get of all the e-girls

But I'm at the top of the stands

I'm immune to Snakebites

Frosty? I've got no chill

You may have two Royals

But I'm the king of the hill

Strongholds, whatever

Stay woke, free Cooper

EDIT: Obligatory  :wutface: 

(Frosty response)

King of the Hill?

I'm surprised you know what an objective is

Your game sense is defective, kid.

Lemme try to give you perspective, then

You're living in the past, dude

With your fast food Chuck Sheen,

Calls himself McWinning.

But here you've come to the Machine

I'm lurking unseen

It's working obscene

And smirking between

Every kill I get,

Bergstrom's legit and kinda feisty

You can call me Iced Tea

Because your corpse enticed me

To drop trou precisely

Yo, stop now, ask nicely

And it might be that I'll spare my pine nuts

But when you die to my five, it's

Time to pile drive my privates

Past your lips deep into your throat

Take it all, meet the end of my scrote

Umm...did he really just do that?

You bet, bitch, I thought you knew that

Frosty's the best, take a second and chew that

I blew up like a bubble

Carried Suddoths no trouble

Now back on Topic

Backpackin' OpTic

Keep your Wizard, let me explain

It's a Frosty Blizzard, it's freezing rain

Headshots delivered, Call me D. Blain

Can't be contained, off-track see the Train

And Please don't e'en complain

About lag turning you into a dead star

C'mon man, Frost's burning you in here - Red Bar.

Putting any further of these in spoiler tags so they don't flood the pages.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I can't tell you how many people i run into in HCS that tell me they're just trying to chill and that i'm playing too sweaty. i thought that was the point of the competitive, ranked playlist?

Thats what i do.  When i want to chill on the couch in front of the TV... i play HCS on a smurph.  

If i want to sweat, i play on my main on a monitor.

The problem is that HCS is the only way to avoid AR-spam-fest frustrations.  Its honestly amazing how much different and less fun the game is when everybody spawns with an AR.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Thats what i do.  When i want to chill on the couch in front of the TV... i play HCS on a smurph.  

If i want to sweat, i play on my main on a monitor.

The problem is that HCS is the only way to avoid AR-spam-fest frustrations.  Its honestly amazing how much different and less fun the game is when everybody spawns with an AR.

It's genuinely the most tilting feeling in the world when you miss one pistol shot and that's enough to lose to an AR spam.

• Upvote (+1) 9

While we're in the doldrums between events, I just wanted to dig up an old meme and say that my two-year-old called me @@Phade a pancake tonight.

I had a good chuckle.

Welcome pancake partner!

• Upvote (+1) 4

Remember 2011 when CE Anniversary came out and they initially put Team Anniversary Classic (with "classic" gameplay) all the way down and Anniversary Squad (with terrible Reach gameplay) at the top? As expected the playlist at the top was more popular by like tenfold. After the first update they flipped the positions and not long after that- Anniversary Squad was removed because of low pop.

So yeah 343 knows damn well that the playlist at the top will always be the most popular and the one at the bottom the least popular, the obvious exception being stuff like Infection and Grifball.

• Upvote (+1) 2

and from the actual source

Was going to ask if they were just buying Astro's gaming branch or if they were getting all of the products under that design label. I know they do other stuff too but gaming is their headsets/amp stuff. Good to know, and Logitech makes a lot of quality peripherals. Maybe we'll see more Astro Gaming branded stuff?