CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'm not sure on that one. It's kind of up in the air I think. I think there would definitely be an uptick in how many people attended/played events and tournaments, but would you see a massive resurgence of playerbase? Doubtful. People can't get around the fact that Halo 5/343 are terrible. There's just no way around it. I dislike it for a lot of reasons, but people who enjoy the game, great for them honestly. I just can't get past some of the shit in the game because it ceases to be a fun game to just play, let alone to play competitively. Plus you'd still have alienated all of the players that want to play actual Halo, not this advanced movement stuff.

As in you have a job with them now? Or was there some article/event/thing they took a stance on that you also support that side of? If it's the job, big congratulations man, you deserve it and good luck to you. Dexerto is great.

Nope. Actually referencing this tweet that was trying to be Beyond famous but failed miserably. 

https://twitter.com/TheJamesMattone/status/880819045318238209 

That was one game lol, stop pulling stuff out of your ass. Esports will thrive for whatever game is around for years to come.

This is from a guy who doesn't watch much and prefer sports.

It's going to thrive for the most popular PC games of the moment, for the rest it will die.

LoL is already Franchising, while in Halo we Have "Oxygen Supremacy"

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're missing the point though, MLG left Halo BEFORE the c&d. Nothing wrong with leaving something that's costing you an arm and a leg so you can be a successful company though.

i'm not as worried about the c&d anymore (i got my timing wrong on that) but the fact that halo was pulled from mlg more than mlg left halo. lack of interest forced their hand to relegate halo to online and try out LoL instead. halo promptly returned to lan for 2 more events, nbns and halo 4. it is a bad argument for why mlg shouldnt or wouldnt want halo

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't believe any console eSport (yes I still spell it that way) will ever get huge. Consoles just don't sell worldwide, so it'll never be what CS:GO, LoL, DOTA, etc. are. If Halo wants to get huge, it'll have to move to PC. 

I'm not sure Halo has to be huge, as long as they come out with old-school good Halo again, I don't care how small the game is in comparison to larger eSports as long as it's around.

100%  I dont think CoD or Halo will ever be as big as CS for example, but if they get to the point where they can pull 25k for a featured pro league match, maybe 75k for circuit LANs and 125k+ for majors/worlds thats perfectly sustainable.

I saw a presentation by Bernie from Rooster Teeth talking about "Quantity vs Quality" of fans/customers etc.  The more people connect with your product, the less actual people you need to watch it to sustain it since proportionally they will spend more money and send more direct support than a less interested but larger group would.  esports is a pretty niche thing compared to traditional sports, but the people that watch are very connected to the experience.  EDIT: Give them a good experience and they will be loyal and sustain your business.  The Halo 5 Tournament Experience has been... lackluster to say the least

• Upvote (+1) 2

we probably will never be bigger than PC titles but we don't need to be "the biggest" to be successful 

the number of esport consumers grows every day (kids), there will be more than enough fans to go around

i'm 100% certain there will be a greater number of esport titles in the future than there is now, not less

• Upvote (+1) 5

we probably will never be bigger than PC titles but we don't need to be "the biggest" to be successful 

the number of esport consumers grows every day (kids), there will be more than enough fans to go around

i'm 100% certain there will be a greater number of esport titles in the future than there is now, not less

we can even leverage larger titles by having multiple title events like dreamhack more often. ms should even host these to promote windows and xbox. if nothing else it would be fun to attend

Thats true, its all speculative ventures at this point and in a few years there will be some big winners and big losers but it doesn't make sense to use that argument as a reason why MLG shouldn't have stopped with Halo. other than the legal parts that were out of their control, you stop speculating in something when its clear the quality is going down and you aren't going to get the future ROI you were hoping for. That's Reach in nutshell and 4 was significantly worse.

CoD has been in this spiral for the last 2 years, but the numbers are still big enough that money can be made plus WWII is coming out which should be a major upgrade for the franchise and viewer base.

Ya but that's the thing. COD is looking to trend back up. The devs actually listened to logic and are going back to what people actually liked about COD.

343 refuses to do this. Halo is trending down in a terrifying nosedive. Why would anyone jump on this sinking ship? There's no way MS keeps throwing all this prize pool money at halo. They're going to find something else to hitch their wagon to when it comes to esports.

Perhaps playerunknown?

Basically this.

Just because bowling, darts, etc aren't huge doesn't mean they aren't around like Halo or Gears. I look at that for smaller games around now, then you see titans like LoL owning like the NFL now. Esports is going to continue to grow for years to come I imagine.

Ya but that's the thing. COD is looking to trend back up. The devs actually listened to logic and are going back to what people actually liked about COD.

343 refuses to do this. Halo is trending down in a terrifying nosedive. Why would anyone jump on this sinking ship? There's no way MS keeps throwing all this prize pool money at halo. They're going to find something else to hitch their wagon to when it comes to esports.

Perhaps playerunknown?

What other games does MS have?? Gears ?? LUL . Player unknown is a PC title.

lol is having around a 25% increase in viewership every year so if esports is a bubble it's going to be a pretty damn big one by the time it pops.Video games are just becoming more popular and by extension so are esports.

These kids are not playing halo though.

What other games does MS have?? Gears ?? LUL . Player unknown is a PC title.

If MS throws out a 1 mil prize pool for playerunknown, people will play on xbox.

There's just no point throwing all this prize pool money at halo right now. Literally none. A few people pop.by to watch the money events but on a daily basis it hasn't been able to draw eyes or players to the game.

For MS

Not that it matters, but Forza has esprots now and you never know with titles like Crackdown and whatever game that guy was screaming at E3 with.

That's for sure, can't wait to watch @@Zavehi take home the Sea of Thieves World Championship trophy in Spring of 2019.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

How can someone play Oddball without the announcer saying "playball"

How can someone play Oddball without the ball being a skull?

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

it seriously isn't?

THIS IS THE LAST STRAW FUCK YOU 343.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ASTRO x Beyond are going ham for the rest of 2017.

TB | Commonly confirmed?  :thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 4

ASTRO x Beyond are going ham for the rest of 2017.

best news all day, i love astro and tb <3 (and halo + rocket league)

thanks for helping make this happen

accidental neg