CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

343 shot themselves in the foot with this though. Since we have a huge toolkit of movement abilities, and like 600 different gun variations, warzone + regular matchmaking, and campaign.... With sprint, boost, and slide every single map they had to make was basically exploded to allow for more elongated areas for movement. World of warcraft, which had an entire playable world, on release, had 30gbs of data, this is an absolutely massive game, and they wonder why they so many issues running it on an Xbox lmfao.... its more complex than most computer games.

I think The Witcher is at like 35 gbs and there are WAY more assets in that game.  I think Frankie said at one point that most of the size is actually uncompressed audio, and all languages are installed at once.

The xboner doesn't give a lot of horsepower to work with either but thats kind of moot.  No matter how you slice it, 100 Gbs is unacceptable.

??? MLG dropped Halo way before that due to low viewership/interest.

Didn't MLG drop reach before 343 even took over?

And is MS going to continue to throw shit tons of prize money at a dying franchise in order to artifically keep its comp scene alive? That's not good business.

the last mlg reach event was the winter championships in march 2012. halo was dropped in 2013 after halo 4. mlg ran halo 4, with the last event being dallas fall championships in november 2012 before a deal was signed with virgin gaming in 2013. so mlg played through reach into halo 4 before halo was taken from them

FGNY3eG.png

• Upvote (+1) 7

halo was dropped in 2013 after halo 4. mlg ran halo 4, with the last event being dallas fall championships in november 2012 before a deal was signed with virgin gaming in 2013. so mlg played through reach into halo 4 before halo was taken from them

99% sure @@Clap said that MLG had to make the decision to drop Halo because it was losing them too much money, and THEN the c&d came later. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

???? MLG dropped Reach

They ran 7 open lan tournaments with Halo: Reach over the span of a couple years, the game literally crippled the community and fanbase. Isn't that enough considering the lack of support by MS?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What don't people get here? Whether or not MLG dropped Reach doesn't fucking matter.  The details don't even matter.  The game was not a good enough game to be self-sustaining.  Period. It had to happen, no matter how it did happen, if MLG wanted to survive.

The only details that matter are the latter half of Clap's post there.  They were not even given a chance to bid on HCS because they didn't run tournaments that THEY WERE TOLD NOT TO RUN.  Its fucking nonsense.  

The only explanation that makes any kind of sense is that somebody at MLG boned the spouse of some decision making bean-counter at Microsoft/343. Its a pure spite on MS/343s part.

I have no inside information on said 'boning', just a theory and a damn good one if i do say so myself.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What don't people get here? Whether or not MLG dropped Reach doesn't fucking matter. The details don't even matter. The game was not a good enough game to be self-sustaining. Period. It had to happen, no matter how it did happen, if MLG wanted to survive.

The only details that matter are the latter half of Clap's post there. They were not even given a chance to bid on HCS because they didn't run tournaments that THEY WERE TOLD NOT TO RUN. Its fucking nonsense.

The only explanation that makes any kind of sense is that somebody at MLG boned the spouse of some decision making bean-counter at Microsoft/343. Its a pure spite on MS/343s part.

I have no inside information on said 'boning', just a theory and a damn good one if i do say so myself.

Only 3 games are self sustaining. Esports is a bubble and it's probably going to burst in the next 5 years and only a handful of games will survive.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They ran 7 open lan tournaments with Halo: Reach over the span of a couple years, the game literally crippled the community and fanbase. Isn't that enough considering the lack of support by MS?

Yeah I know, I'm just stating that MLG dropped Reach because some dude is saying that they didn't.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

the last mlg reach event was the winter championships in march 2012. halo was dropped in 2013 after halo 4. mlg ran halo 4, with the last event being dallas fall championships in november 2012 before a deal was signed with virgin gaming in 2013. so mlg played through reach into halo 4 before halo was taken from them

FGNY3eG.png

Oh really

Why was it that everyone thought MLG dropped halo after the first zbns event?

99% sure @@Clap said that MLG had to make the decision to drop Halo because it was losing them too much money, and THEN the c&d came later. 

And to be clear, I'm not saying that MLG was in the wrong to drop the game, just making sure that the order of events is clear. 

I really hope the try out oddball for HCS. It has been pretty fun IMO even with radar and autos, a lot less frustrating than assault. They really don't need the correct announcer and everything.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really hope the try out oddball for HCS. It has been pretty fun IMO even with radar and autos, a lot less frustrating than assault. They really don't need the correct announcer and everything.

How can someone play Oddball without the announcer saying "playball"
  • Upvote (+1) 8

How can someone play Oddball without the announcer saying "playball"

Just 2017 things. 

Only 3 games are self sustaining. Esports is a bubble and it's probably going to burst in the next 5 years and only a handful of games will survive.

Thats true, its all speculative ventures at this point and in a few years there will be some big winners and big losers but it doesn't make sense to use that argument as a reason why MLG shouldn't have stopped with Halo.  other than the legal parts that were out of their control, you stop speculating in something when its clear the quality is going down and you aren't going to get the future ROI you were hoping for.  That's Reach in nutshell and 4 was significantly worse.

CoD has been in this spiral for the last 2 years, but the numbers are still big enough that money can be made plus WWII is coming out which should be a major upgrade for the franchise and viewer base.

charlie.gif

hmmmm idk how true that is

seems like something you made up

• Upvote (+1) 3

Also, on the MLG subject. I fully agree that 343 needs to get over themselves when it comes to trying to run their own league with ESL, its an obvious failure at this point and they need to just get into bed with MLG. 

Give MLG full settings over settings, put an MLG mm playlist in the game, and there you go.

Also, i bet a lot of people would come back.

I'm not sure on that one. It's kind of up in the air I think. I think there would definitely be an uptick in how many people attended/played events and tournaments, but would you see a massive resurgence of playerbase? Doubtful. People can't get around the fact that Halo 5/343 are terrible. There's just no way around it. I dislike it for a lot of reasons, but people who enjoy the game, great for them honestly. I just can't get past some of the shit in the game because it ceases to be a fun game to just play, let alone to play competitively. Plus you'd still have alienated all of the players that want to play actual Halo, not this advanced movement stuff.

I'm with Dexerto. 

As in you have a job with them now? Or was there some article/event/thing they took a stance on that you also support that side of? If it's the job, big congratulations man, you deserve it and good luck to you. Dexerto is great.

It was my understanding that MLG dropped Reach because of the disgraceful numbers concerning both playerbase, viewership, and as you said losing them too much money. I thought (could be wrong of course) that the cease and desist came when MLG was running GB tournaments for MCC. 

I disagree that esports is a bubble. I guess it might be, but I don't believe that. I think there are bigger and better things ahead for esports. I don't disagree that it is something every or even most games can get into, but I don't believe it's going to burst and only a few games are going to survive in a few years. I think with greater mainstream adoption you're going to see things get even more profitable for sponsors and investors and it will mimic more of the traditional sports model that we see today with the leagues, commercials, tournaments, playoffs, etc. I think there are huge things ahead of esports as a whole. Do I see Halo having a big part in that? Not really, definitely not at this point, unless something drastic changes. Do I think there might be more than just LoL, DotA, and CS? Sure, there's plenty of potential out there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't believe any console eSport (yes I still spell it that way) will ever get huge. Consoles just don't sell worldwide, so it'll never be what CS:GO, LoL, DOTA, etc. are. If Halo wants to get huge, it'll have to move to PC. 

I'm not sure Halo has to be huge, as long as they come out with old-school good Halo again, I don't care how small the game is in comparison to larger eSports as long as it's around.

You weren't there for the Starcraft2 bubble burst in 2011-2012?? Players retiring every week, Tournament Organizers dropping left and right. Blizzard had to intervene to save the whole scene.

as to reach not being included in the spring of 2012, it was just not on the lan circuit but was still on an mlg online circuit. not great but not really dropped especially when they had winter and fall lan events surrounding that

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/halo-reach-in-the-spring-season

You're missing the point though, MLG left Halo BEFORE the c&d. Nothing wrong with leaving something that's costing you an arm and a leg so you can be a successful company though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ayyyyy birfday weekend so I will be awol for a couple days. I  will be a quarter of a century old. Try not to be too toxic while I'm gone. :kappa:   

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Bubble" might not be the right word but i think the intent of what he is saying is right.  There are too many players throwing too much money around right now.  i think there is space for a lot of esports to survive and thrive, but not as many as have their hats in the ring right now.  Many multiple games per genre as trying to make a go at it.  The space is overpopulated.

You weren't there for the Starcraft2 bubble burst in 2011-2012?? Players retiring every week, Tournament Organizers dropping left and right. Blizzard had to intervene to save the whole scene.

That was one game lol, stop pulling stuff out of your ass. Esports will thrive for whatever game is around for years to come.

This is from a guy who doesn't watch much and prefer sports.

• Upvote (+1) 1