CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Listen man - I live in Missouri.  Let me welcome you to my world.

-picgobyebye-

tenor.gif

Not what I expected to read coming into a Halo thread.

• Upvote (+1) 8

it's really a shame how crystal has given amphetamines a bad name

we owe many great scientific, artistic, and athletic achievements to good old fashioned uppers  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

it's really a shame how crystal has given amphetamines a bad name

we owe many great scientific, artistic, and athletic achievements to good old fashioned uppers  :kappa:

and the destruction of my mental health

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are way too many people advocating for more game types like KoTH, oddball, and assault for HCS. While I get that Halo's competitive scene has generally revolved around multiple game modes, good competitive games like Rocket League or CSGO only require one game type to appease the audience. At the moment, Halo 5 feels extremely stale to play with all the issues of Spartan abilities, weapon upgrades on the map, horrific bullet magnetism, and the general meta on team shooting.

We have to fix the core gameplay issues such as these if we're gonna make any long term progress on player retention for the competitive scene without wasting so much money for prize pools.

Yep. If your game is good it will survive on a small number of gametypes and maps.

The problem is the actual gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The babysitter eating baby on meth is false btw

I don't agree that it'd be a good gametype, but at least you have sound reasoning behind wanting to try.

I can't neg for wanting to try strange gametypes on Tyrant, either, since I'm the one that thinks Tyrant could actually work for Ricochet, since there's no mid-to-goal sightlines, three-four lanes (so you have to win individual battles to push and have to spread to cover lanes), and enough 'tease' to encourage players to go for the dunk instead of the lay-up.

Ricochet would be a fun social gametype with h5 movement, but it's another thing not in the game.

Ricochet would be a fun social gametype with h5 movement, but it's another thing not in the game.

It can definitely be made to work with Oddball settings, there are gametypes that exist where you throw a ball into a goal or you can get bonus points for running it into the goal.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i'm not allowed at r/halo but have fun for me!

They never unbanned you? Jesus.

e5wxKRQ.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 5

The pace of play feels so similar across all gametypes and maps for me, and the spartan abilities make maps lose their unique feel due to being able to traverse them at any angle. 

I think that issue stems from three fundamental problems with the game.

1. Spartan Abilities. Thrust-slide being probably the biggest specific offender in this game. I would rather remove that and keep the slide boost ramp glitch. Maps would be less broken overall.

2. Maps designed with the explicit goal of making Spartan Abilities more useful than they are intrinsically. Clamber-able ledges and super sneaky routes everywhere like chest high walls in a cover-based shooter. Turning clamber from "Oops, I missed my jump" (not a huge deal) to "I have to use this constantly to get around" (shitty).

3. Loadout-style, tiered sandbox with no real niche weapons or nonlethal utility and shitloads of overlap.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Fundamentally, I think that issue stems from three fundamental problems with the game.

right

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

right

Thanks for that totally useful input. I'll bear that in mind for my next peer-reviewed forum post.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Thanks for that totally useful input. I'll bear that in mind for my next peer-reviewed forum post.

good

• Upvote (+1) 4

I've seen you mention this a few times. What is it about the game that makes you feel that way? Apologize if you've elaborated on your feelings earlier and I missed it.

Staleness of a game can be improved may ways. Like may other have mentioned, adding new game modes/maps with freshen thing up. But I feel that is just a band-aid for the bigger problem. If the core game mechanics are solid, you won't care if you play the same map over and over again because it will continue to be fun and competitive every time you play. Take de_dust (de_dustII) in Counterstrike. People have been playing that map for almost 2 decades and it is still fun, competitive and one of the most popular maps in the game.

Midship would be Halo's de_dust IMO, because it is very well balanced for most of Halo's gametypes. However, Halo 5's new mechanic's break a lot of what made Midship great (map control, positioning, etc). And unfortunately, most of the other Halo 5 maps do not play well with the new spartan abilities and in particular sprint because players can to quickly traverse the map. 

So until Halo 5's (Halo 6) core mechanics are more refined, maps and game modes will continue to feel generic and become stale quickly. Hope this feedback helps.