CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Our team cut that for the Gears program as part of our stewardship of the program. We work with the Coalition on ecosystem design, tournament scheduling, asset creation, shoulder content, online tournament ops, sanctioning, and tournament ops. We also send a strike team to all global partner events to help them operate: their success is the program's success. 

and it shows.  This one video has made my likelihood of watching gears this weekend go up from 50% (if i remember) to 100% (its in my phone calendar now).  it seems like ESL just does what they are told.  Plus 343 is working with a so many different TO's (UGC, UMG, ESL, Millenial and thats just the U.S.).  I imagine its hard to have a cohesive vision for the growth of your esport of you are constantly trying to wrangle the half dozen companies that you have running events across the country instead of working with one that can actually be a partner through the whole year.

Should have both. Dedicated servers are cool if you live near one. But so many people don't.

Dedis are overrated.  Its more advertising than anything.  I would rather play on a good host from someone down the street than an average server in Virginia.  I remember host advantage in halo 2 was just something you dealt with.  When you were in a gunfight with host, you treated it as if you were an extra shot down from the get go and when you were host you would challenge like a mofo.

what are the odds a pro team picks up someone from alg now that they've split? do the pro teams even have a new transfer period

Dedis are overrated. Its more advertising than anything. I would rather play on a good host from someone down the street than an average server in Virginia. I remember host advantage in halo 2 was just something you dealt with. When you were in a gunfight with host, you treated it as if you were an extra shot down from the get go and when you were host you would challenge like a mofo.

I wouldn't say they are overrated, but the benefits are muted when you have a skill based matchmaking system and players who don't live near data centers- especially the way 343 implemented it.

Currently, you could be close to a data center, if a decent match isn't available, it's going to bounce you to a different server rather that get you high ping nearby matches.

If you don't live near a datacenter, your screwed, even if you live near plenty of potential players.

I wish merge the new and old way of doing things. Find 8 players based on their ping to servers and to each other's. Then choose to run the game in dedi or host machine after figuring the best solution for the particular matchup.

More Setting opinions from the pros. Regardless of whether you agree or not, I'm really glad we're seeing it discussed. I just hope something actually gets done. The fact that the proving grounds list exists and is being tested seems like a good thing to me. I feel like the meeting of "best case" and "realistic" IMO would use the PG radar (maybe with the radius tuned back down) and removal of AR starts. Might be too optimistic. I REALLY don't see 343 taking out sprint in favor of increased movement speed, but I'm gonna pipe dream less autos and better radar.

https://twitter.com/SeattleRayne/status/847840024930394112

Also, I think the best chance we have of getting the settings changed is to get the pros on a united front regarding what they'd like. I know TB did a poll before that I felt was influential in getting breakout removed. Is that something that could happen again?

I would love a pro poll on sprint, even if I'm a bit worried about the results. I tried out 120% movement with sprint disabled last night and it mightve ruined regular h5 for me

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is going to be a weird off season. There are like 10 teams that a pretty equal in skill so that means a lot of good players may not be on top 8 teams. Plus and off season event before Pro league starts lots of drama could happen!

My personal opinion on Proving Grounds is that it doesn't work well as long as autos are in the game. I think no autos+ PG radar would be the ideal choice, but knowing 343, someone's going to say "you're only allowed to make one change".

When considering radar vs. autos on the priority list, autos are the most important for me.

I think no autos no radar is the ideal choice. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think no autos no radar is the ideal choice. 

From my time with it, the only way I enjoy no radar is if they remove sprint or the thrust-slide. Not that I don't like thrust-slide, but it exaggerates what sprint already does.

My personal opinion on Proving Grounds is that it doesn't work well as long as autos are in the game. I think no autos+ PG radar would be the ideal choice, but knowing 343, someone's going to say "you're only allowed to make one change".

When considering radar vs. autos on the priority list, autos are the most important for me.

If they are gonna use a Spartan Abilities Radar they need to make it 18 meters! 25 meters is why every pro hates that thing!

Edit: But come on @@GH057ayame just remove the radar already. And autos and splinters etc

Unfortunately, with how bad MM has been with getting matched against To4s, and how shit and heavy the aiming has been, ive just been playing a lot of WoW arena and overwatch in my downtime. Really wish they would get the setting, MM, and aim figured out because the game is still fun, its just punishing some nights. For me its been bad rank rubber banding, ill be Onyx, spend a night getting shit on by To4s, end up mid diamond. The next night ill play 10-20 games and be an Onyx again, even games where I'm matching champs I'm still going positive for the most part, but my team mates are 95% of the time just so painful to watch play. Heres to hoping for fixes! or at least an enjoyable (PC version) H6, since i enjoy 1440p 144hz far more than 1080p 60hz!

Also, I was talking to contra in his stream the other night, he said he hasn't heard from RoyBox since the LCQ, who knows whats up with that. But he said as far as he and 2gre know they're still a To4 for Summer League  :intel:  :intel:

• Upvote (+1) 1

From my time with it, the only way I enjoy no radar is if they remove sprint or the thrust-slide. Not that I don't like thrust-slide, but it exaggerates what sprint already does.

This is a key point. I hate the way that sprint compromises a lot of things, but i dont think that sprint is the main factor in the "without radar the game is too chaotic" argument.  the order of biggest problem to smallest problem as it pertains to the viability of straight up no-radar is more like this:

1) Auto's, specifically everybody spawning with an AR.  If there were 2 ars/autos in general on the map with just one extra clip that spawned every minute instead of every 15 seconds, that would be fine.  Good even.

2) Sprint-thrust-slide-jump-jump combo.

3) Base sprint

Sprint can still crawl in a hole and die, but if you take care of #1 and #2, it becomes much less of a factor.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Apparently Gears fans are much more willing to adopt Beam.  Almost 1000 viewers on Beam currently.  :walshy:

EDIT: I do suppose the Beam app is built into Xbox One now and wasn't last weekend.

This is why I want Team Kaliber to enter the Halo scene. They also are very much a youtube juggernaut. Not quite to the extent of Optic but they have a very notable presence.

I think my sister is with them. But as a streamer.

this gears event production is outstanding (outside of some audio issues)... if daytona is anything like this then id be happy.

the ac venue looks cool tho.

fingers crossed that more games come to the northeast

• Upvote (+1) 2

I started playing Harcore in MCC and even though the Halo 3 BR registeration sucks and it takes me a long time to get a match, I'm having more fun than I have in a LONG time.

Proving grounds allows you to play sneaky and pull off flanks like older Halos. Watching Halo with radar becomes more and more boring. Pros literally have to crouch for 50% of the game, maybe more if it's a slayer.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1