CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I know they've done it for a while but I think it's stupid. What exactly was wrong with the old halo structure, where there were top16 seeds, then 16 teams from open filled out a 32 team double elimination bracket? No one ever complained about that.

@@Clap genuinely curious why the change from that to this style of bracket.

Because Pool Play is better than just a 32 team bracket? 

I don't understand your complaint about Str8, why is it weird that a team that lost a series started in the Loser's Bracket? If they had made it to Pool Play, they had the same chance as any of the pro teams to make it to winners.  

I just hope people aren't too hard on Huke if he decides to switch back, it's his game he started on and it has to be more appealing at this point. We have no idea what's going on with the HCS in 2018, while CoD eSports continues to grow and expand each year.

If he leaves I'll probably keep watching him play. Hopefully he becomes a dominate force in CoD

Str8 Rippin CoD actually had a good run and beat some good teams. They should be proud tbh of their run as their first time as a team. I know T2 was at the venue and apparently he was rippin into refs and stuff which is funny. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Because Pool Play is better than just a 32 team bracket?

I don't understand your complaint about Str8, why is it weird that a team that lost a series started in the Loser's Bracket? If they had made it to Pool Play, they had the same chance as any of the pro teams to make it to winners.

In no way is pool play more exciting that genuine bracket play. The stakes aren't even the same since after pool play, there's still bracket play left. Even CoD fans don't even care too much about watching pool play. There were plenty of posts on Reddit about waiting to watch matches that "meant something."

Theres nothing wrong with a 32 team bracket especially when they're already including those same teams in bracket play, but they only get in losers. CoD has more than enough depth to do so. (Plus there's plenty of orgs that play meaningful open and losers matches that don't even get on either stream which doesn't make any sense, but that's another complaint.)

I mentioned str8 because they were first in my mind. It goes for.any open team.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What happens to all these new pros if (prays) 343 finally gets their shit together and starts making halo games with actual halo gameplay?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

For the record, a very very small percentage of that "270k" actually made it to the Halo side of things.

wiki.teambeyond.net :simms:

Curious what they felt they needed to spend that money on. Was the acquisition of that wiki included in that $270k figure? They really didn't seem to have it very long before announcing that everyone was canned. 

I had some brief contact with GAMURS last year (cant say about what but you could probably guess) - they struck me as kind of odd, non-eSports people, but involved in eSports. Maybe they just overspent on Ops and when they saw they weren't getting a quick return, time to re-adjust. 

I hope all the wiki boys land a spot somewhere else quickly - it is hard enough to secure something sustainable in eSports as it is, never want to see someone lose their contract.

wiki.teambeyond.net

Curious what they felt they needed to spend that money on. Was the acquisition of that wiki included in that $270k figure? They really didn't seem to have it very long before announcing that everyone was canned. 

I had some brief contact with GAMURS last year (cant say about what but you could probably guess) - they struck me as kind of odd, non-eSports people, but involved in eSports. Maybe they just overspent on Ops and when they saw they weren't getting a quick return, time to re-adjust. 

I hope all the wiki boys land a spot somewhere else quickly - it is hard enough to secure something sustainable in eSports as it is, never want to see someone lose their contract.

They had the Wiki for one year and spent 270k over that one year.

I know a rough estimate of what the President of the site was making based off conversations with her (and based off the amount of work she does and how integral lol.esportswikis is to the League of Legends competitive scene, she 100% deserved what she was getting).  Since the site stopped operating due to the contracts being renewed, there've been SEVERAL League analysts/coaches complaining about no longer having up-to-date resources for important analytical data like pick/bans, simply because Riot doesn't keep track of that stuff somewhere.

Oh...and also Riot employees complaining about it being down:

I'm not sure what the rest of the money went to, though I imagine the other important workers on the site were making respectable salaries.  No idea about actual operating costs or anything like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They had the Wiki for one year and spent 270k over that one year.

I know a rough estimate of what the President of the site was making based off conversations with her (and based off the amount of work she does and how integral lol.esportswikis is to the League of Legends competitive scene, she 100% deserved what she was getting).  Since the site stopped operating due to the contracts being renewed, there've been SEVERAL League analysts/coaches complaining about no longer having up-to-date resources for important analytical data like pick/bans, simply because Riot doesn't keep track of that stuff somewhere.

Oh...and also Riot employees complaining about it being down:

I'm not sure what the rest of the money went to, though I imagine the other important workers on the site were making respectable salaries.  No idea about actual operating costs or anything like that.

Probably just wasnt sustainable in our adblocking world. 

It is a good resource, but GAMURS is here to make money.

Wish I still had my Major League Gaming getSUMgear hat. 

Funny. As I was clearing out the room that is going to be my new game area, I found this in a box of old trash I don't want. I'll donate if you want. May be a collectors item one day  :kappa: 

20fpc94.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well they aren't GAMURs anymore. 

Dot Esports. 

Yeah, like the Gamurs guy tweeted (not sure if it was shared here or elsewhere)... they didn't expect to make money off esportswikis, but they expected the loss to be something like 60-70%, not 99%.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its done this way so we can have pools running all weekend for programming/main stage while the open bracket happens. We cannot play the open bracket all the way out as it would add 6-8 hours to the schedule to play it out. On top of that, open bracket teams going straight to championship winners regardless of their open/losers placement would undermine the idea of the pools. Furthermore, the pools need to have consequences: we have to 'punish' and 'reward' teams for advancing from their pool, but it wouldn't be fair to eliminate them while open bracket teams make it to championship bracket. 

TLDR:

This format allows amateurs to compete in their own ecosystem to advance

This format allows amateurs that earn it to play against pros

This format allows us to have main stage matches and pro streams starting on minute 1 of day 1 in parallel to open bracket happening

Open up a go fund me for an oldschool Halo event with the 3 projectors and bleachers. 

Will donate hundreds. Just one last Hoorah. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just hope people aren't too hard on Huke if he decides to switch back, it's his game he started on and it has to be more appealing at this point. We have no idea what's going on with the HCS in 2018, while CoD eSports continues to grow and expand each year.

On mobile. Accodental neg

• Upvote (+1) 1

This format allows us to have main stage matches and pro streams starting on minute 1 of day 1 in parallel to open bracket happening

:fire:  :prayers:  :fire:  :prayers:  :fire:

meanwhile in halo we are putting weak EU teams in the champ bracket just because

• Upvote (+1) 9

:fire::prayers::fire::prayers::fire:

meanwhile in halo we are putting weak EU teams in the champ bracket just because

And relegation teams only need to win one series to qualify for Champ bracket (and Pro League?)
  • Upvote (+1) 1

@@Clap I'm not telling you what to do I'm just saying if there's a CoD WW2 beta tournament with some of the pro teams I'd watch the shit out of that.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

E6 just knocked out optic.

Its done this way so we can have pools running all weekend for programming/main stage while the open bracket happens. We cannot play the open bracket all the way out as it would add 6-8 hours to the schedule to play it out, which means pros wouldn't start playing until Saturday night. On top of that, open bracket teams going straight to championship winners regardless of their open/losers placement would undermine the idea of the pools. Furthermore, the pools need to have consequences: we have to 'punish' and 'reward' teams for advancing from their pool, but it wouldn't be fair to eliminate them while open bracket teams make it to championship bracket.

TLDR:

Have you guys thought about adding Charlie stream? We missed so many important open and bracket matches. C9 is only now getting on stream for the first time, and they're already top6.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i think of the biggest things he's missing is playing in front of large crowds, that's what it's all about, that's what these players strive for

(just assuming, i don't talk to huke at all)

Well, if that's all he wants, ESL can just move the entire audience to his side of the venue. No big deal.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well, if that's all he wants, ESL can just move the entire audience to his side of the venue. No big deal.

oh wow a whole 20 people  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2