CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The headphones are a bit overpriced for the quality to be fair (the 150$ ones) but the mixamp is top tier at what it does and I'd consider it my favorite piece for my setup. Although now that there are separate amps for Xbone and PS4 I'd say its significantly less useful if you have both along with your PC. The value really went down for people who play on multiple consoles with that change

I bought my Sennheiser 555s (which are still awesome) and my A40s (also still awesome) solely because of MLG and halo. Sponshorships work, especially when its a quality product. I am a Sennheiser and Astro user for life and dont see either of them as overpriced. Seeing both those companies come out with lower priced products is great though.

Honestly not a huge fan of my Astros, but the Mixamp pro is top tier. Definitely worth the money.

The MixAmp is a useful tool, but in terms of headsets, there are better options.

:horse: I recommend the HyperX Cloud IIs :horse: (paid by steve)

• Upvote (+1) 1

CoD has had like 4 shit games in a row. Difference, they said FUCK YOU to MLG and had more than just one major league to play in, which means more places to play, more teams around the country, more exposure and growth for the scene, I could go on for days. MLG FUCKED the Halo community a bit by monopolizing us at the time. And while there were other events MLG did damage by putting teams and players on contracts not allowing players to market themselves properly and sometimes not play at other events if I remember. If you weren't Dr.Pepper, Hotpocket, or Redbull, tough shit, you're not sponsoring Halo players and giving them exposure through your brand.

In comes starcraft 2 and suddenly we can have other sponsors because the starcraft community wasn't having that shit and so it rubbed over to Halo. Then we have complexity, fnatic, ect as a part of Halo. Do you even Halo history, bro?

Even Ghandi spoke on how his team couldn't have their drinks they were sponsored by on stage because they were not sponsors on the league. That kind of shit will hurt a league like MLG in the long run, and for Halo it did

COD hasn't bottomed out as the 24th most played game on xbl.

"Shit" COD games might dropped from being the 1st most populated on consoles to like 3rd. It's just not comparable.

• Upvote (+1) 6

MLG had sponsors, the players were only allowed to rep sponsors who were on board with MLG.

That is literally not how ANY competitive ANYTHING on this Earth worked.

Nascar: Cars are covered in sponsors of the individuals separate from the league

Skateboarding: Individuals sponsors separate from league

Golf:Same thing

Name any sport where they are not required to wear the same thing when playing (obviously players can't look different on a football field)

Literally all 4 major north American sports lol.

NFL, nba, MLB, nhl.

They all have exclusive marketing deals for just about anything you can imagine.

Literally all 4 major north American sports lol.

NFL, nba, MLB, nhl.

They all have exclusive marketing deals for just about anything you can imagine.

It's all well and good when it's centralized like that but those are purely domestic leagues for a single game. The point is with competitive gaming that it's not centralized, North America is a piece of the pie but if you look at the tier one esports they're about the third of the scene (Americas, Europe+CiS, Asia).

I respect what MLG do and for sure it's a model you could follow to success but it stands to reason that by being under a centralized system it's only in the favor of the community until the deal stops being mutually beneficial (which is at the discretion of the TO). As we saw with Halo and MLG everything was great when Halo was at the top of it's game but once you fall, you fall hard. Halo was MLG and for the longest time MLG was Halo, that was really on the community for being too content with MLG as a tournament supplier. I'm not sure whether it was more a consequence of being international but the other tier 1 esports of the time didn't just put all their eggs in one basket.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Watching dreamhack this weekend , i cant help but get excited to see halo promoted there at atlanta. I know the bracket is not the best but the production will be awesome, the gameplay will be great, and maybe we'll get some awesome content highlighting players and teams throughout the hcs era to really draw in new viewers

The headphones are a bit overpriced for the quality to be fair (the 150$ ones) but the mixamp is top tier at what it does and I'd consider it my favorite piece for my setup. Although now that there are separate amps for Xbone and PS4 I'd say its significantly less useful if you have both along with your PC. The value really went down for people who play on multiple consoles with that change

I don't really care what headphones I got. I got the cheapest one. All I needed was one better than the default Xbox headset that comes with the Xbox. Cause that's what I was using for 4 years (or should I say wasn't using because I never used my headset) (barely played any multiplayer of any game before h5)
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I wonder what else the 99% consists of then

The reasons why decisions were made, what was communicated behind closed doors, and overall context.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The pot shots on this forum from the uninformed are disheartening. I get that assumptions are made based on limited info but 99.9% of speculation on this forum about MLG and halo are incorrect. A few things:

We never received a penny to operate halo, in fact we paid for a license. Today the program is funded by the publisher. Our only revenue was tickets and sponsorship. We had to keep the lights on and feed our families while trying to keep our investors happy in a nascent space. I could go on but I won't.

As to COD "telling us to fuck off" and using other operators...it's because they were in the process of buying us, it was a negotiating a tactic not a "show Em who's boss for ecosystem reasons!".

Have a great day.

If youre willing to answer some questions could you clear up some things that have been brought up

Some have said mlg didnt pay team and player sponsorships. I think elamite said that there was issues receiving money. Is that true?

So it can be settled once and for all did mlg leave halo or did 343 pull halo from mlg?

Would it have been possible to contine running h2 or h3 once reach came out?

Is there any future for halo and mlg? This goes to @@Deez too

Personal curiousity: Whats the word on the OWL? Im excited for what that could be but it seems like the buy in is a big barrier for some teams.

As always, nothing but repect for what you do and have done

I still find it funny when people bring up MLG stopping Team Best Buy from like 2005, using Octoshape in Halo 3, no chairs for a last minute Halo tournament in 2012, etc. At what point is it past the "statute of limitations" for criticism? Stuff happens, but their product has improved since then.

At times I feel like it is some kind of safety blanket for people to use in their heads so it doesn't make HCS / ESL seem that bad when they screw up. Halo has it's problems now, and its honestly getting the basics down 3 years later with this new era. At least the payout decent though.

Either way, no TO is perfect - but I'll take those trying to improve over those that seem to do it for a paycheck. MLG will always have my praise for making those glory days special for me. They are absolutely killing it right now for Gears and CoD.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

If youre willing to answer some questions could you clear up some things that have been brought up

Some have said mlg didnt pay team and player sponsorships. I think elamite said that there was issues receiving money. Is that true?

So it can be settled once and for all did mlg leave halo or did 343 pull halo from mlg?

Would it have been possible to contine running h2 or h3 once reach came out?

Is there any future for halo and mlg? This goes to @@Deez too

Personal curiousity: Whats the word on the OWL? Im excited for what that could be but it seems like the buy in is a big barrier for some teams.

As always, nothing but repect for what you do and have done

Can't dive into this as I'm running CWL Anaheim currently but I can say that I respect 343 and Microsoft, we have a great relationship today and I wish them nothing but the best.

As to not paying, that's not true. If Kyle had issues with anything I'd be curious to know what the issue was.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I still find it funny when people bring up MLG stopping Team Best Buy from like 2005, using Octoshape in Halo 3, no chairs for a last minute Halo tournament in 2012, etc. At what point is it past the "statute of limitations" for criticism? Stuff happens, but their product has improved since then.

At times I feel like it is some kind of safety blanket for people to use in their heads so it doesn't make HCS / ESL seem that bad when they screw up. Halo has it's problems now, and its honestly getting the basics down 3 years later with this new era. At least the payout decent though.

Either way, no TO is perfect - but I'll take those trying to improve over those that seem to do it for a paycheck. MLG will always have my praise for making those glory days special for me. They are absolutely killing it right now for Gears and CoD.

or you know, most people aren't completely blinded by rose tinted glasses and have issues in equal measure for both MLG and 343?

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Happy to take up real issues but I can't combat made up screw ups and false speculation. We have always taken feedback on the chin and attempted to improve, it's sort of our M.O.

Any word on restocking MLG apparel to purchase through your site?

or you know, most people aren't completely blinded by rose tinted glasses and have issues in equal measure for both MLG and 343?

and we brought up those issues when they happened on the MLG forums years back. The eSports landscape has massively changed since the 2000's, I just don't think a lot of it holds up as much as some do in today's age.

Can't dive into this as I'm running CWL Anaheim currently but I can say that I respect 343 and Microsoft, we have a great relationship today and I wish them nothing but the best.

As to not paying, that's not true. If Kyle had issues with anything I'd be curious to know what the issue was.

Thanks for still being here. Anaheim looks amazing as usual. Keep up being the best

and we brought up those issues when they happened on the MLG forums years back. The eSports landscape has massively changed since the 2000's, I just don't think a lot of  it holds up as much as some do.

i get that, but for some reason people react to criticism of MLG by bringing up 343. It's total whataboutery, yeah 343 are abysmal at times, but MLG have screwed up many times before. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Elamite said that you never payed the "million dollars" contracts with FB, Str8 and Carbon.

i get that, but for some reason people react to criticism of MLG by bringing up 343. It's total whataboutery, yeah 343 are abysmal at times, but MLG have screwed up many times before. 

I feel like the issue is when MLG screws up now it's a scratch on the car, and when it happens with the HCS the car is in a fender-bender. No TO is perfect for sure, but the quality difference is clearly there.

• Upvote (+1) 1