CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

i thought he was talking about prize money

He said that most of those contracts never got paid. At the end of H2 MLG signed FB, Str8 and Carbon players, and the money promised never got paid.

Not necessarily. Even in the AGL days, the open events with their pitiful sub-10k prize pools pulled in decent amounts of teams. In 2017 we're struggling to break 40 teams with huge prize pools. The scene is dying.

As far as viewership, we are much better. 

But you're stating the obvious

Open events > Pro League

How many REAL open events have we had since AGL?

The very fact we're talking about AGL now scares me. 

Where's Brad?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Not necessarily. Even in the AGL days, the open events with their pitiful sub-10k prize pools pulled in decent amounts of teams. In 2017 we're struggling to break 40 teams with huge prize pools. The scene is dying.

Well that's because having a Pro League and an AM League is stupid as fuck and won't work with the current state of Halo.

Ideal format IMO: Open Events with decent prize pool (150k or something like that, not something stupidly huge like 300k like GoW does), something like 3 or 4 events a year in NA (2 West Coast, 2 East Coast ideally), 2 in Latin America (1 in Mexico, 1 in Colombia), 2 in the UK for the EU guys (cheap af to fly to London from anywhere in EU), maybe some small events for the ANZ and Asia community. Wanna give a chance to online warriors too? Have 2k tournaments every month or so, have 500 dollars FFA tournaments for people like Vetoed and Kampy. At the end of the year you can have Worlds with a decent prize pool of let's say 500k. Doing any of these things would grow the scene GLOBALLY way more than the stupid Pro League nobody wants to watch anymore because it's boring as hell. You don't need MLG for that, ESL can do all of that, but the decision is on 343 of course.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Well that's because having a Pro League and an AM League is stupid as fuck and won't work with the current state of Halo.

Ideal format IMO: Open Events with decent prize pool (150k or something like that, not something stupidly huge like 300k like GoW does), something like 3 or 4 events a year in NA (2 West Coast, 2 East Coast ideally), 2 in Latin America (1 in Mexico, 1 in Colombia), 2 in the UK for the EU guys (cheap af to fly to London from anywhere in EU), maybe some small events for the ANZ and Asia community. Wanna give a chance to online warriors too? Have 2k tournaments every month or so, have 500 dollars FFA tournaments for people like Vetoed and Kampy. At the end of the year you can have Worlds with a decent prize pool of let's say 500k. Doing any of these things would grow the scene GLOBALLY way more than the stupid Pro League nobody wants to watch anymore because it's boring as hell. You don't need MLG for that, ESL can do all of that, but the decision is on 343 of course.

NOT EVEN 150K! 

Go back to MLG's platform and let people get their own sponsors and watch the magic happen. Seriously, I can't believe this conversation has gone on this long. The league should be there just to attract spectators, online viewers, and competitors. Give a payout to attract players.

The magic happens outside the event. Money, in any BROADCAST is with sponsorships. Money for players is in sponsorship. You have to have them. This isn't even a debate. Unless you are literally the NFL this is how it works

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Are we really arguing that 16 year olds who screamed rape (some vandalized hotel rooms) after every kill didn't have a chance to go out and seek sponsorship?

Also how ironic. T2 blames ogre 2 for not helping grow the scene where in this scenario it's retroactively T2's fault as well for not marketing himself well enough.

• Downvote (-1) 4

Contra is really good. Watching him scrim and his positioning and shot is elite.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Are we really arguing that 16 year olds who screamed rape (some vandalized hotel rooms) after every kill didn't have a chance to go out and seek sponsorship?

Also how ironic. T2 blames ogre 2 for not helping grow the scene where in this scenario it's retroactively T2's fault as well for not marketing himself well enough.

You obviously were not around back then. T2 use to be EVERYWHERE. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

You obviously were not around back then. T2 use to be EVERYWHERE.

Look up, see that? That's the point.

I agree with some of the stuff you've said (despite the elitism displayed while saying it) but why do you keep trying to ignore the fact that the NFL is proof of concept? I would more compare it to the UFC after the reebok deal.

• Downvote (-1) 2

​Just saying, MLG decided to have CoD World League: Anaheim on Twitch and elsewhere in real time which I think is good for the consumers. 

Oh and MLG Anaheim always amazing to watch. Check it out. 

stop, youre going to make me cry

Look up, see that? That's the point.

I agree with some of the stuff you've said (despite the elitism displayed while saying it) but why do you keep trying to ignore the fact that the NFL is proof of concept? I would more compare it to the UFC after the reebok deal.

NFL has literally the whole country watching if not more during their games. They don't even need to try or give a fuck. The NFL achieved the ultimate goal. Sponsors go to them, not the other way around. If you have to actively seek sponsors you have work to do

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

​Just saying, MLG decided to have CoD World League: Anaheim on Twitch and elsewhere in real time which I think is good for the consumers. 

for as much shit as people give it, the features on mlg's streaming site are awesome

• Upvote (+1) 1

NFL has literally the whole country watching if not more during their games. They don't even need to try or give a fuck. The NFL achieved the ultimate goal. Sponsors go to them, not the other way around. If you have to actively seek sponsors you have work to do

Yes exactly. The blame falls on Microsoft and Bungie are you surprised an up and coming company thought of a way to grow itself without risking any form of equity to kids? Microsoft and Bungie at any point could have seen the growth and capitalized on what was occurring if a player gets on Dr. Pepper cans playing the game I made. Then I found out the company growing off the game that I made was operating that way, i wouldn't just think hey it's fine lulz free advertising.

I would think (and activision did) "I should take that and make it better." Advertising as well as growth both controlled on our end. MLG and ESL are middle men, the players and matches are the product. Cut out the middleman and split the cut 2 ways. Like I said I can agree with most of what you said I just don't blame MLG for being a business especially not after I've seen Activision become a better one.

Edit: Long story short its not someone else's job to grow your product it's yours. (Microsoft=Halo, Activision=COD, Riot=LOL, Etc.)

The limit for max teams is in the sixties though, because of the lack of split screen and lan. They logistically can't do more than that. Given the locations and time frames, along with the shitty structure, I'd say halo has had solid tourney turnout.

Fridays are always on twitch. Sat and Sunday are on mlg.tv exclusively. Most cod fans hate it though, and thinks it stunts growth

Fridays are always on twitch. Sat and Sunday are on mlg.tv exclusively. Most cod fans hate it though, and thinks it stunts growth

yuuuppp

On another note NV is starting to tilt optic more and more

ASTRO has been incredible for Halo since forever. Hell, we ran 75+ tournaments with them over the last few years and they continue to support the scene. Amazing people there :fire:

Anyone seen those new A10s? Seems like the perfect headset for someone who doesn't want to spend $150 on A40s. Wish they had been out a year ago when I was looking for a new headset.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Anyone seen those new A10s? Seems like the perfect headset for someone who doesn't want to spend $150 on A40s. Wish they had been out a year ago when I was looking for a new headset.

NOW they go and do that? I spent like 5 years muddling over getting Astros before finally giving in last winter and grabbing some on discount at Best Buy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah they look really good for the price. Glad to see them try to compete with hyper x in that price range. 

Yeah they look really good for the price. Glad to see them try to compete with hyper x in that price range. 

Cloud 2s are soooooo good

• Upvote (+1) 2

So mlg is actually going to stream all weekend on twitch too. Surprising

75 for hyperx cloud on Amazon. Amazing headphones.

I didn't even consider Astros when getting my headphones because everything was $150+ AUD. This would've been a much better alternative to the turtle beaches I got. I even got them from eBay so I couldn't use code Lethul for 5% off. (Don't know if he has a Turtle Beach code but I would've tried)

I didn't even consider Astros when getting my headphones because everything was $150+ AUD. This would've been a much better alternative to the turtle beaches I got. I even got them from eBay so I couldn't use code Lethul for 5% off. (Don't know if he has a Turtle Beach code but I would've tried)

The headphones are a bit overpriced for the quality to be fair (the 150$ ones) but the mixamp is top tier at what it does and I'd consider it my favorite piece for my setup. Although now that there are separate amps for Xbone and PS4 I'd say its significantly less useful if you have both along with your PC. The value really went down for people who play on multiple consoles with that change