CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I dunno, maybe I'm just being nostalgic but I thought MLG did a pretty good job overall.

• 66 LAN events over the course of 9 years or so of MLG's involvement with Halo.  Events were held literally all over the USA, fostering a strong community and giving all players a chance to attend events, watch their favorite teams and players and compete themselves.
  • Built a strong amateur community by giving amateur players and teams something to work towards in the form of pro circuit points to help you and your team improve your bracket seeding at future events.
  • Held amateur-only events in the form of combines to allow little known amateur players a chance to shine and get their name out there (@@RyaNoob for example).
  • Had consistent, online Gamebattles tournaments and ladders, giving a chance for amateur teams to make money.
  • Awarded literally millions of dollars worth of prize money to teams.
  • Captured all player VOD from almost every tournament to allow others to review their gameplay and help their own gameplay improve.
  • Had a dedicated team to create the most competitive, skillful, and balanced maps, game types, and settings.  They actually LISTENED to their competitive community when the community felt like issues needed to be addressed and changed within the game.
  • Never held a tournament inside of a Jiffy Lube.

I think you've highlighted a major issue that all of the MLG D-riders always gloss over, which is obviously their subpar balloon presentation. Halo deserved better.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I just wish MLG hadn't deleted so much stuff when they redesigned their website in ~2011. All of those old vods, pro blogs, stats and stuff, gone.

I spent a lot of time digging around the internet archive finding stuff for the wiki, but a lot of it is gone forever.

(Unless @@Clap or someone else has it all stored on some hard drive somewhere and wants to be a god and upload it)

• Upvote (+1) 8

Wasn't there that one MLG event where they literally didn't have enough consoles to run the full tournament on time so some matches ended up being played at a local EB Games, or is this something I just made up?

Wasn't there that one MLG event where they literally didn't have enough consoles to run the full tournament on time so some matches ended up being played at a local EB Games, or is this something I just made up?

If that happened it was probably way back in 2004-05 when they were grassroots. Nothing like that ever happened once they got big with the TV deals and stuff. (to my knowledge)

I dunno, maybe I'm just being nostalgic but I thought MLG did a pretty good job overall.

• 66 LAN events over the course of 9 years or so of MLG's involvement with Halo.  Events were held literally all over the USA, fostering a strong community and giving all players a chance to attend events, watch their favorite teams and players and compete themselves.
  • Built a strong amateur community by giving amateur players and teams something to work towards in the form of pro circuit points to help you and your team improve your bracket seeding at future events.
  • Held amateur-only events in the form of combines to allow little known amateur players a chance to shine and get their name out there (@@RyaNoob for example).
  • Had consistent, online Gamebattles tournaments and ladders, giving a chance for amateur teams to make money.
  • Awarded literally millions of dollars worth of prize money to teams.
  • Captured all player VOD from almost every tournament to allow others to review their gameplay and help their own gameplay improve.
  • Had a dedicated team to create the most competitive, skillful, and balanced maps, game types, and settings.  They actually LISTENED to their competitive community when the community felt like issues needed to be addressed and changed within the game.
  • Never held a tournament inside of a Jiffy Lube.

Maybe @@Clap can weigh in on the discussion if he's around.

That's not the point. Not the point at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

You're telling me MICROSOFT cannot find sponsors for their events and expand something that will provide more revenue from the growth of stream numbers and sponsorship money? I know you're more ideal than that. I bought anything and everything sponsoring Halo events for a reason. To help sponsors realize their efforts weren't for not. We all still do today. ASTRO, like you said. 

yeah dude everyone is clamoring to sponsor halo esports with our 5k viewers, 480p HD stream, and jiffy lube venues

so much prestige 

• Upvote (+1) 9

yeah dude everyone is clamoring to sponsor halo esports with our 5k viewers, 480p HD stream, and jiffy lube venues

so much prestige 

No but during Halo's peak it's completely lunacy that they did everything possible to NOT get sponsors pouring in. If you can sit here and tell me that had ZERO to do with Halo's decline in the long run, then we agree to disagree. 

We all care about Halo. Just too many gameplay flaws make the game so bland and less exciting to play. No feeling of satisfaction.

The very fact........a board of directors........got up at 6 in the morning........had their coffee......Kissed Margret and little Timmy bye......got in their cars.......drove to the gas station for gas.....drove to work.....clocked in......went to the first meeting of the day......analyze the data......then sat there and said......."The sniper should hit headshots when just looking in their opponents general direction" literally blows my fucking balls off, and the fact of the matter is SOMEBODY DID make that decision and the sniper in this game is still top 3 gripes IMO and why nobody talks about it more.......why? Something that simple causes the game to be much better or much worse. In this case, the low skill gap of the sniper...

If only there was a Halo game with a sniper where you had to lead shots. Or a Halo game where you could kill a sniper across the map with a with a weapon you spawn with if you were good enough.

Oh well, the Halo community would probably just move onto the next Halo even if it was 100 times worse and then say the same shit on forums for 10 years straight.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You're telling me MICROSOFT cannot find sponsors for their events and expand something that will provide more revenue from the growth of stream numbers and sponsorship money? I know you're more ideal than that. I bought anything and everything sponsoring Halo events for a reason. To help sponsors realize their efforts weren't for not. We all still do today. ASTRO, like you said.

Last time we had a sponsor for an event (GitS and Paramount) 343 gave them an undermarketed forge contest and played one commercial for every 5 HW2 ads. It was poorly handeled and no wonder why sponsors and orgs are dropping out

• Upvote (+1) 3

If only there was a Halo game with a sniper where you had to lead shots. Or a Halo game where you could kill a sniper across the map with a with a weapon you spawn with if you were good enough.

Oh well, the Halo community would probably just move onto the next Halo even if it was 100 times worse and then say the same shit on forums for 10 years straight.

There are not enough people playing CE to justify putting money into it and the "casual competitive" players ( a big majority of the scene at our peak ) are still oozing over the Halo 3 days and think the CE pistol is "op" and that Halo 2 was the best competitive Halo. 

Please, think logically. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

No but during Halo's peak it's completely lunacy that they did everything possible to NOT get sponsors pouring in. If you can sit here and tell me that had ZERO to do with Halo's decline in the long run, then we agree to disagree. 

yeah you are bugging

the sponsor thing sucked but life went on lol....

THANK YOU

DilvBkI.jpg

6lftjKW.jpg

do you see any balloons? huh? even one? nope? what a fucking joke

are they even in a parking lot? where are the parking spaces? where are the tree and shrubs?

I dont see a food truck or overflow tent with a crappy tv either

• Upvote (+1) 1

What?

ASTRO, Dr. Pepper, Stride, BiC, Hot Pockets, Doritos, BenQ, Boost Mobile, USA Network, MadCatz, iBuyPower...

Edit: Old Spice, Ballpark Franks, Jacklinks Beef Jerky, and Gunnars also

MLG had plenty of sponsors to help with the league.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I dont see a food truck or overflow tent with a crappy tv either

What's wrong with food trucks? Beats the hell out of hot pockets, red bull and dr pepper.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What?

ASTRO, Dr. Pepper, Stride, BiC, Hot Pockets, Doritos, BenQ, Boost Mobile, USA Network, MadCatz, iBuyPower...

MLG had sponsors, the players were only allowed to rep sponsors who were on board with MLG. 

That is literally not how ANY competitive ANYTHING on this Earth worked. 

Nascar: Cars are covered in sponsors of the individuals separate from the league

Skateboarding: Individuals sponsors separate from league

Golf:Same thing

Name any sport where they are not required to wear the same thing when playing (obviously players can't look different on a football field) 

Where sponsors can cover an event and market their players. 

Not allowing sponsors to expose the scene was a big mistake. Nothing we can do now though. Just projecting my frustrations with Halo. But we are at least in a better place than we were with Reach and H4. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Name any sport where they are not required to wear the same thing when playing

Walshy wore Red Bull headphones while the rest of his team did not because he had an individual sponsorship outside of his team.

Edit: Red Bull also held LANs for teams that they broadcasted for fans to watch completely outside of MLG.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What?

dont forget personal sponsorships like red bull, gunnars, and gilbert arenas.

and i found this gem too. mlg did lock up its players, but a million to the players on final boss and 250k to T2 in 2006 is a hell of a deal

• Upvote (+1) 1

dont forget personal sponsorships like red bull, gunnars, and gilbert arenas.

and i found this gem too. mlg did lock up its players, but a million to the players on final boss and 250k to T2 in 2006 is a hell of a deal

Didn't Elamite said that most of that money never got paid.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

But we are at least in a better place than we were with Reach and H4. 

Not necessarily. Even in the AGL days, the open events with their pitiful sub-10k prize pools pulled in decent amounts of teams. In 2017 we're struggling to break 40 teams with huge prize pools. The scene is dying.

Walshy wore Red Bull headphones while the rest of his team did not because he had an individual sponsorship outside of his team.

Oh fucking A, his headphones had redbull on them. You got me. out of 64 players (and even more players could have had sponsors outside of top 16) Walshy had redbull headphones. 

We can all rest easy that Walshy saved Halo's marketing potential that benefited the scene. I was wrong, Halo is risen. Thankith Thy Grandaddy Walsh. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Didn't Elamite said that most of that money never got paid.

i thought he was talking about prize money