CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

We all care about Halo. Just too many gameplay flaws make the game so bland and less exciting to play. No feeling of satisfaction.

The very fact........a board of directors........got up at 6 in the morning........had their coffee......Kissed Margret and little Timmy bye......got in their cars.......drove to the gas station for gas.....drove to work.....clocked in......went to the first meeting of the day......analyze the data......then sat there and said......."The sniper should hit headshots when just looking in their opponents general direction" literally blows my fucking balls off, and the fact of the matter is SOMEBODY DID make that decision and the sniper in this game is still top 3 gripes IMO and why nobody talks about it more.......why? Something that simple causes the game to be much better or much worse. In this case, the low skill gap of the sniper is a big reason why I get board of this game. Half the time I am STILL shocked I got a headshot when in H3 that kind of shit would not fly, and say what you will about H3 but HELLLL if the game isn't 10 times more fun to play because of the gratification in personal performance. We weren't spoon fed gratifying matches like we are today. You either started  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:  or you busted on tilt. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

nice try che chou

edit: welp, i'm an idiot, joke failed

hit me with some negs pls

+rep cuz fuck you, Im a rebel 

On the topic of bias of Halo casters...

No one used to complain that Puckett casted events while he was employed by the company that owned Final Boss, Carbon, and Triggers Down.

No one complained when Sundance would occasionally step into casting booth to weigh in on teams and predictions or cast a game or two, when he is a co-founder (and now CEO) of the league that paid pro team salaries and stipends and owned some teams in the league.

:thinking:

Oh that's right, no one complained because it doesn't fucking matter and has zero impact on the matches themselves.

No one complained because people were too busy enjoying the game.

Idle hands are the devil's workshop

MLG owned and contracted every team in the league (almost?). Much less bias to worry about. T2 owns ONE. Huge difference.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

MLG owned and contracted every team in the league (almost?). Much less bias to worry about. T2 owns ONE. Huge difference.

MLG really were fucking cunts for that. No sponsors, no logos on jerseys, no drinks. 

Bleh. They somewhat helped Halo's competitive scene go pewp by monopolizing Halo a tad bit.  

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

MLG really were fucking cunts for that. No sponsors, no logos on jerseys, no drinks. 

Bleh. They somewhat helped Halo's competitive scene go pewp by monopolizing Halo a tad bit.  

Don't you dare say anything bad about almighty MLG!

• Upvote (+1) 4

No

Really? We're going to pretend MLG has no blood on their hands? 

k

Really? We're going to pretend MLG has no blood on their hands?

k

They don't.

The competitive scene died because the games became shit tier. Especially in regards to reach.

There's nothing mlg can do if nobody wants to play or watch the game because the devs keep fucking it up.

The downfall of halo literally had nothing to do with what you said.

• Upvote (+1) 3

They don't.

The competitive scene died because the games became shit tier. Especially in regards to reach.

There's nothing mlg can do if nobody wants to play or watch the game because the devs keep fucking it up.

CoD has had like 4 shit games in a row. Difference, they said FUCK YOU to MLG and had more than just one major league to play in, which means more places to play, more teams around the country, more exposure and growth for the scene, I could go on for days. MLG FUCKED the Halo community a bit by monopolizing us at the time. And while there were other events MLG did damage by putting teams and players on contracts not allowing players to market themselves properly and sometimes not play at other events if I remember. If you weren't Dr.Pepper, Hotpocket, or Redbull, tough shit, you're not sponsoring Halo players and giving them exposure through your brand. 

In comes starcraft 2 and suddenly we can have other sponsors because the starcraft community wasn't having that shit and so it rubbed over to Halo. Then we have complexity, fnatic, ect as a part of Halo. Do you even Halo history, bro? 

Even Ghandi spoke on how his team couldn't have their drinks they were sponsored by on stage because they were not sponsors on the league. That kind of shit will hurt a league like MLG in the long run, and for Halo it did

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

They don't.

The only thing MLG did to help kill Halo was stop playing H3

• Upvote (+1) 3

Not allowing sponsored team names was a bit shit but after dealing with a few years of teams named "www.gamergraffix.com" I can see why they disallowed that.

Still, not letting teams use "Team" or "Gaming" in their names was a bit much.

Also pretty funny in like, late 2010 when half the teams in the top 16 had a UoR prefix.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We can always change the subject if it helps..

I mean, what outside playing the game has victory done to grow the scene? :kappa:

He has appeared on at least one, maybe 2-3, episodes of The Pit.

Not allowing sponsored team names was a bit shit but after dealing with a few years of teams named "www.gamergraffix.com" I can see why they disallowed that.

Still, not letting teams use "Team" or "Gaming" in their names was a bit much.

Also pretty funny in like, late 2010 when half the teams in the top 16 had a UoR prefix.

Difference between generic 2000's gaming teams (But FUCK do I miss those days tbh) and being able to have a drink sponsor that you can represent, and they represent you, and your sponsor markets you, therefore content they make can reach a bigger audience exposing the leagues you play in, therefore growing interest, and allowing the product (tournaments and live stream) to expand. This is simple fucking marketing that MLG tossed out the window. 

And after talking about it, I really wonder why 343 and other developers do NOT seek sponsors for events like the HCS. Blehhhhh so much potential. I have lots of ideas I think about too much

And after talking about it, I really wonder why 343 and other developers do NOT seek sponsors for events like the HCS. Blehhhhh so much potential. I have lots of ideas I think about too much

let's be real (like always)

it's a tough sell, we have zero corporate sponsors besides astro gaming for a reason

shout out to fucking astro gaming, i love those guys

• Upvote (+1) 5

I mean, astro better be loyal to the Halo scene. If I remember right Halo players were the first to beta test their headsets lol.

let's be real (like always)

it's a tough sell, we have zero corporate sponsors besides astro gaming for a reason

shout out to fucking astro gaming, i love those guys

You're telling me MICROSOFT cannot find sponsors for their events and expand something that will provide more revenue from the growth of stream numbers and sponsorship money? I know you're more ideal than that. I bought anything and everything sponsoring Halo events for a reason. To help sponsors realize their efforts weren't for not. We all still do today. ASTRO, like you said. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, let's not forget why these events are so great. Halo is the reason we come together but not the reason we're there. Events are a social atmosphere where you get to travel, meet people, make bonding friendships, have fun, and create memories with your new friends. 

Unless you're a pro you have no reason to be there unless 

1. You're serious about winning because you're actually good enough to make it (95% of us are not and you know it)

2. You're there to be with the community and have a good weekend. 

Events first and foremost, are our hobby, and our escape for a few weekends a year. That is what makes Halo so great 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dunno, maybe I'm just being nostalgic but I thought MLG did a pretty good job overall.

• 66 LAN events over the course of 9 years or so of MLG's involvement with Halo.  Events were held literally all over the USA, fostering a strong community and giving all players a chance to attend events, watch their favorite teams and players and compete themselves.
  • Built a strong amateur community by giving amateur players and teams something to work towards in the form of pro circuit points to help you and your team improve your bracket seeding at future events.
  • Held amateur-only events in the form of combines to allow little known amateur players a chance to shine and get their name out there (@@RyaNoob for example).
  • Had consistent, online Gamebattles tournaments and ladders, giving a chance for amateur teams to make money.
  • Awarded literally millions of dollars worth of prize money to teams.
  • Captured all player VOD from almost every tournament to allow others to review their gameplay and help their own gameplay improve.
  • Had a dedicated team to create the most competitive, skillful, and balanced maps, game types, and settings.  They actually LISTENED to their competitive community when the community felt like issues needed to be addressed and changed within the game.
  • Never held a tournament inside of a Jiffy Lube.

Yeah at the end of the day this team name stuff is a minor gripe and does little to take away from what you outlined here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Roster Swap Thoughts

Written before yesterdays matches, some calls may be questionable now

This links me to an essay about Destiny being 30FPS and I don't see anything about Halo, lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This links me to an essay about Destiny being 30FPS and I don't see anything about Halo, lol.

Currently first article on tb lol.