CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'm sure they'll be picked up by rival publications. Yahoo Esports did good stuff but IMO was overshadowed by the likes of ESPN Esports and the Score. Esports journalism is by no means stable and publishers/sites are still trying to find good publishing models. 

Just happy I'm finally in a paid gig. 

TheScore was only relevant while Kelsey and Emily were there.  When they left for Yahoo, Yahoo became the place to go.

And now Yahoo has dropped their entire esports division as a result of the Verizon-Yahoo merger, and the new product, Oath, deciding there's no need for esports coverage.

TheScore was only relevant while Kelsey and Emily were there.  When they left for Yahoo, Yahoo became the place to go.

And now Yahoo has dropped their entire esports division as a result of the Verizon-Yahoo merger, and the new product, Oath, deciding there's no need for esports coverage.

What's crazy is that Oath sounds like an eSports name more than a traditional sports name....

• Upvote (+1) 6

A lot of stuff going down with Yahoo now, the best guy in NBA reporting (Wojo) is going to ESPN because of it soon too.

A lot of stuff going down with Yahoo now, the best guy in NBA reporting (Wojo) is going to ESPN because of it soon too.

The Halo community could use some Woj Bombs right now.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I really don't see how it's that hard to believe. You visit a different pages of a forum so much more frequently than a wiki. I think I used a Halo wiki maybe a handful of times in the last year and to do that I just googled the team / player, so no loyalty to a particular site. Without site loyalty there's no incentive to remove ad block.

it was paid based off clicks. I know theres tons of lurkers but most of the traffic was from new people coming looking at guides, event aftermaths, and the latest drama. If you want to know esports info you pretty much use that wiki. I imagine the people who used our site the most had ad blocker installed honestly. We never pushed for it to be uninstalled. 

The Score has faded in relevancy, but a bunch of outlets are doing esports coverage. The Yahoo staff will definitely find homes quickly and I hope that the overall esports journalism climate improves. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe its because they keep giving stuff away but xbox @ e3 has almost 20k people watching on mixer vs 650 on twitch

The Score has faded in relevancy, but a bunch of outlets are doing esports coverage. The Yahoo staff will definitely find homes quickly and I hope that the overall esports journalism climate improves. 

Personally, dropping esports seems like a bad business in my opinion. Competitive gaming is only going to grow more popular - hopping on the train early will result in massive growth later. I hope TB will write more eSports articles even if the information has already been garnered in the forums.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So are we going to have another Halo WC next year? Cuz no Halo was announced this E3 so we're going to have another year of H5, nah?

I don't even try to keep up with EU rosters.

Batchford got dropped.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Uhhh so is Twitch busted for anyone else?

I may have to watch.... on Mixer........... 

• Upvote (+1) 1

APG should never have been allowed to leave Str8 and there shouldn't have ever been two separate transfer periods within one tiny pro league season. Imagone how much of a random and incoherent clusterfuck these next two weeks will appear to be to the average viewer who isn't on Beyond all day.

Considering how stale h5 is in it's current state, the only reason I am interested in watching the remaining pro league matches is because of the team changes. 

Also am i mistaken that there was only one transfer period? I guess that you may be talking about the fact that str8 was able to make two changes in the transfer period? I feel as though they only made two changes because two other teams made one change that forced them to pick up two people. Definitely agree with allowing them this change. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not Halo related, but more shitty news in the land of esports jobs:

Yahoo featured some big names in the LoL community, like Travis "Doublelift's Ex-Girlfriend" Gafford, and Karon Moser/Emily Rand, two of the best female writers in all of esports, who write some fantastic analytical articles about Chinese scene/junglers respectively.

Yahoo Esports had some of the best Smash content RIP

• Upvote (+1) 1

Uhhh so is Twitch busted for anyone else?

I may have to watch.... on Mixer........... 

im on mobile because twitch on my laptop is totally fucked

• Upvote (+1) 1