CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Honestly I'm probably one of the first to bag on El Town's shaky shot, but he's a great power weapon user, and he plays a really, really smart/nerdy style of Halo.

He's basically Cratos- if Cratos had a little better shot, could use power weapons, played cerebral Halo, and didn't rub every pro the wrong way.

El town is an underrated shot caller.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If I was looking to get into esports stuff and I see this, I would not want to go to Gamurs. Stop airing dirty laundry and throwing the old staff under the bus already.

He hasn't thrown anyone under the bus though? All's he's done is point out that the business model that he employed for the site was not sustainable and that the site didn't gain the traction that Esportspedia did.

He's actually praised the staff.

• Upvote (+1) 2

He hasn't thrown anyone under the bus though? All's he's done is point out that the business model that he employed for the site was not sustainable and that the site didn't gain the traction that Esportspedia did.

He even stated that they expected to lose money on the whole thing, just not as much money as they ended up losing. Everybody here just spamming "270k lul" comments like they were expecting to actually turn a profit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It didn't help esportwiki that esportspedia was always the first link to pop up

In the same context, LG went through a honeymoon phase when current roster was formed(with VicX). Everyone was on the LG hypetrain.

Smart people knew not to trust a ninja team, that said, that wasnt a honeymoon phase. They never beat the top teams in those scrims. They're still winning scrims vs lower tier teams and they just wrecked liquid in pro league. They even beat str8 in pool play at daytona. If they played Ronin for top6 instead of splyce, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

And then they went to LAN

They beat renegades on lan though. They were a good team, but it was clear naded didn't like ace for some reason. He was always making slick comments towards him

Maybe not directly, but I wouldn't want to get laid off and have my former boss on social media saying that I was apart of a team that lost 98% of their traffic to random people. Maybe that's just me, just doesn't look good.

Just keep it PR and say things didn't work out and you wish them the best etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

He even stated that they expected to lose money on the whole thing, just not as much money as they ended up losing. Everybody here just spamming "270k lul" comments like they were expecting to actually turn a profit.

isn't that the goal of a business tho? lul

Seems like they saw it as PR for the rest of their stuff.

Edit: He also said they aren't shutting down the wikis, just not having paid staff anymore.

I mean, over time yes. Most business ventures incur a loss the first few years, in the case of a website, it takes a while to be able to prove traffic to justify companies spending the money on adds, and it just wasn't there. 

Wonder if they will see Str8 Skins in CoD before we see them in Halo  :kappa:

There is a decent chance actually. lol

Seems like they saw it as PR for the rest of their stuff.

Edit: He also said they aren't shutting down the wikis, just not having paid staff anymore.

didn't he also say they didn't advertise the gamurs affiliation as to remain netural?

I mean, over time yes. Most business ventures incur a loss the first few years, in the case of a website, it takes a while to be able to prove traffic to justify companies spending the money on adds, and it just wasn't there. 

(i know this i watch the office)

so he over paid for it right? that was the only point i was trying to make

• Upvote (+1) 1

didn't he also say they didn't advertise the gamurs affiliation as to remain netural?

(i know this i watch the office)

so he over paid for it right? that was the only point i was trying to make

Yeah they certainly over paid. Unfortunately, while trying to be a good managing organization, they wanted to pay their people a solid salary, so they would probably put in a solid effort, which i get. But this was stupid, 270k on a wikiiiii my god.

• Upvote (+1) 1

shit i dont know if twitter has ever posted a profit and amazon has only just started being profitable on a consistent basis (and that's mainly due to aws). the goal is to build value for the company before building profit. i think the site just didnt become the hub that it was intended to be in order to build other aspects of their business

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes, the business, not every single branch of said business. They probably looked at that page the same way a lot of companies look at marketing campaigns.

The goal is to, overall, make money. You need to expense strategically to make that happen, and they obviously thought the upside and downside would be more favorable than they were.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes, the business, not every single branch of said business. They probably looked at that page the same way a lot of companies look at marketing campaigns.

The goal is to, overall, make money. You need to expense strategically to make that happen, and they obviously thought the upside and downside would be more favorable than they were.

Exactly this, the wiki could never have been more than a goodwill project basically, it was never going to make them any money. They clearly had defined acceptable losses early and then when it wasn't in that range pulled the plug. It's a shame but that's business unfortunately

Seriously, why?!

Is there some tech thing I'm not aware of? Just seems ridiculous to me

Backwards compatibility. Can't have people on Xbox One/PS4 playing on 30FPS while newer console is at 60FPS. In PvE the Xbox One/PS4 player will never get picked and in PvP they are at a severe disadvantage. It's to even the playing field. 

What gets me though is why not sacrifice everything for frame rate so the Xbox One, Scorpio and PC can all play together? That would be so dope!!!

• Upvote (+1) 1

And I'll tell you, as a platform holder there's tension because, if I had shown Master Chief running around in 4K on the screen, the place would have gone crazy. You know that. I know that. Just to pick on Halo because people know there's Halo. But I also know, as we're working through the creative process of giving the team the time to go deliver the great game we want them to deliver, whether it's Halo or something brand new, the time it takes to just get ready for the screen is real time away from production on the game.

Seems like the HCS twitter has really stepped its game up - better, more informative graphics that are actually timely.

Thoughts? @@Moses_FPS

• Upvote (+1) 1

Backwards compatibility. Can't have people on Xbox One/PS4 playing on 30FPS while newer console is at 60FPS. In PvE the Xbox One/PS4 player will never get picked and in PvP they are at a severe disadvantage. It's to even the playing field. 

What gets me though is why not sacrifice everything for frame rate so the Xbox One, Scorpio and PC can all play together? That would be so dope!!!

Which is the major problem I see with treating new consoles as smaller upgrades compared to full on generations. What they're probably going to do is the Xbox after the X isn't going to have parity with the og One but will have parity with the X. Or atleast I think that's the best way to do it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ah that's true, I hadn't thought of that. I assume the reason they don't do your suggestion is simply developer choice? IE, they'd rather have 30FPS and other things than just 60FPS (*Cough* Halo *Cough*)

• Upvote (+1) 1