CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I don't trust that 5k revenue number at all given the amount of traffic Esportswikis has.

Considering most of their traffic probably comes from NA and developed european countries, 5k revenue in 12 months is a fucking lie.

Considering most of their traffic probably comes from NA and developed european countries, 5k revenue in 12 months is a fucking lie.

Never underestimate the power of ad-block within the gaming / tech community.

I get it, ads suck but they do help keep sites running. This is why you see a lot of places going with Membership / Premium / Patreon route.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Never underestimate the power of ad-block within the gaming / tech community.

I get it, ads suck but they do help keep sites running. This is why you see a lot of places going with Membership / Premium / Patreon route.

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to whitelist this site on my adblock

bless you

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's actually a very smart move by them to compete in games that MLG is involved with. MLG is going to give them so much love and probably do a lot of media pieces on the history of Str8 Rippin and how their owner is a former MLG national champion.

Lots of good exposure for Str8.

imagine if they pulled out the old mainstage banner of t2

• Upvote (+1) 1

I also pay attention to Dmg Dealt and total kills and deaths in comparison to their teammates. Cratos was consistently at the bottom. People like to dismiss stats but I am a firm believer that stats tell you alot about a player. This applies especially to Halo 5 since we have things like damage dealt which helps a lot. 

To add to the point I believe OBJ players in Halo 5 are overrated. You need slayers who can play the obj to be successful. 

Ignoring the fact that damage dealt has been known to be inaccurate, you are still comparing k/d to their teammates. You may not believe in the OBJ player but there are definitely different play styles that would effect k/d. Last season Ninja was one of the top obj performers, had a large amount of deaths, but his damage output was usually near the top. Players like Royal 2/Snipedown are fed snipers and live longer. Each fill hybrid roles that may result in fewer or more deaths than others. I agree, Cratos wasn't the greatest(despite his banter), but it isn't always as black and white. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't trust that 5k revenue number at all given the amount of traffic Esportswikis has.

On users:

On adblockers:

On expenses:

So users didn't make the switch from Esportspedia, most of those who did used adblockers and the site was losing everything on staff wages. There aren't really any other revenue streams that they could realistically tap into. Most people aren't going to donate or patreon a site that they use for a couple minutes a day maximum. Wikipedia is constantly facing funding issues and they are one of the largest sites in the world.

They also were expecting a 50-60% loss on the site.

• Upvote (+1) 7

So two roster change periods a week apart is nothing more than an ESL sponsored loophole for teams to make 2 changes, right?

I mean seriously, what benefit is there to this system?

I mean the benefit is we don't have two rosters that can't play because they no longer have 4 players. It's bs but with orgs letting their players do whatever they want in this case, it is necessary in some sense.

Google ads dont really amount to much tbh. Most people have ad-block anyways which is understandable, ads are annoying as hell.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Somehow after all the changes Ronin got very strong.

Im the topic of Honeymoon, anyone remember OpTic when they picked up Naded, they were top 1.5 beating everybody, taking close series with CLG (when CLG was 14-0 everyone)

we beat them like 13-1 that scrim everyone hyped up and then they proceeded to instantly tank and break up like 2 weeks later
  • Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

gamur guy tweets

If I was looking to get into esports stuff and I see this, I would not want to go to Gamurs. Stop airing dirty laundry and throwing the old staff under the bus already.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Google ads dont really amount to much tbh. Most people have ad-block anyways which is understandable, ads are annoying as hell.

Showing ads on your site and not ruining your user experience is a pretty delicate balance.

Some sites hit that mark pretty well, while other sites just absolutely ruin the page performance and and overall "feel".  Also even the type of ad plays a role.  A static image doesn't really bother me too much, but when it's animated or auto-play videos, that's when I lose my mind.

I've had AdBlock and/or uBlock for so long now that when I use someone else's computer, it feels like I'm looking at an entirely different internet with the amount of garbage I see.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Im the topic of Honeymoon, anyone remember OpTic when they picked up Naded, they were top 1.5 beating everybody, taking close series with CLG (when CLG was 14-0 everyone)

And then they went to LAN

Maniac says that the loss to CLG in that scrim ended his career lol

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sounds expensive

someone paid a quarter of a million dollars for a fucking esports wiki (in 2017)

wooooooow

• Upvote (+1) 2

Maniac says that the loss to CLG in that scrim ended his career lol

He said him and Ace went to cold stone before the scrim and it made them sick, and maniac played worse after that scrim to the point where he retired. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

el town usually has poor stats compared to his teammates, yet they vastly improved picking him up.

Honestly I'm probably one of the first to bag on El Town's shaky shot, but he's a great power weapon user, and he plays a really, really smart/nerdy style of Halo.

He's basically Cratos- if Cratos had a little better shot, could use power weapons, played cerebral Halo, and didn't rub every pro the wrong way.

• Upvote (+1) 6