CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

TB should try and acquire the Halo wiki. That would be awesome partnership tbh.

Also Ronin beat OG. This new Ronin lineup is very interesting.

Honestly probably easier to just build a section for it on their website and hire the people who conveniently just had their contracts terminated

• Upvote (+1) 6

Apg says

Str8 playing with Commonly this week

LG playing with Ryanoob

Any reason to believe that Ryanoob was playing with LG?

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's a common term in things outside HCS, I didn't get it from Lethul lmfao

But yeah, it happens all the time. A new team forms, does really well for its first couple scrims and falls back down to earth after a week.

In the same context, LG went through a honeymoon phase when current roster was formed(with VicX). Everyone was on the LG hypetrain.

Cratos was really really bad. I remember scrims where his k/d was .69 while his teammates hovered around 1.0

While I'm not a fan of Cratos, you keep bringing up players' k/d as if that is what makes the player good or not. It isn't the only thing. Wanna know what they call the player on the winning team with the lowest k/d? A winner. Especially in a game with objective game types. 

Somehow after all the changes Ronin got very strong.

Im the topic of Honeymoon, anyone remember OpTic when they picked up Naded, they were top 1.5 beating everybody, taking close series with CLG (when CLG was 14-0 everyone)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dope news regarding Str8 Rippin expanding into CoD. I was wondering when they were going to become a multi-esport team. RL next? :kappa:

It would be pretty cool to see them get back involved with all the mlg run games again

It would be pretty cool to see them get back involved with all the mlg run games again

Wonder if they will see Str8 Skins in CoD before we see them in Halo  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 5

It's actually a very smart move by them to compete in games that MLG is involved with. MLG is going to give them so much love and probably do a lot of media pieces on the history of Str8 Rippin and how their owner is a former MLG national champion.

Lots of good exposure for Str8.

• Upvote (+1) 6

LMAO this isn't a damnation of the wikis but instead whoever authorized an investment of $270k into the project.

Wikis = very good

"Investing" $270K = very bad

I might be naive but there's no way 12mth expense for something like that should be that high. And if it's all start-up costs then don't cancel after 12 months without giving it time to grow.

I love that in his mind, this is a slight towards Wikis, but in reality the dude is roasting his own business decisions. 

I see he said a significant portion went to wages, which I get. It is very honorable, but what poor management to give the go-ahead for it. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Halo 5 is on a serious downturn both in casual and esports context. The last few events have had pitiful attendance, even with pretty big prize pools and decent locations. Combine that with the confirmation that there will be no new game until at least 2019 and you have a dead franchise.

H5 is on a mild downturn in terms of viewership and population, which is not ideal but also not a huge surprise.  Team turnout hasn't been too bad.  Also I'm not sure if you know what the word "confirmation" means lol; a game doesn't need to be teased/announced 17 months before release.  The new Wolfenstein game was announced four months before release ...

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

LMAO this isn't a damnation of the wikis but instead whoever authorized an investment of $270k into the project.

Wikis = very good

I might be naive but there's no way 12mth expense for something like that should be that high. And if it's all start-up costs then don't cancel after 12 months without giving it time to grow.

I assume that most of that money was staff costs, which is why the entire staff was cut. They are probably just going to rely on mostly volunteers.

Not the best way to go at it, thank them for their hard work and say things didn't work out as projected etc. Now that just makes their former employees look bad..

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not the best way to go at it, thank them for their hard work and say things didn't work out as projected etc. Now that just makes their former employees look bad..

Exactly this. They did an excellent job running the wikis, it's not their fault he didn't have a proper plan in place to cover the costs of the site with actual revenue streams (or just that he had unrealistic expectations of the revenue streams he did have in place).

I hope that most people with a brain could see through it though. How do you not see the bleeding very early on and make adjustments? If I was a shareholder of Gamurs and saw a decision like that, I'd take my money elsewhere. And now it's public record for how poorly it was done. It's laughable. 

Ninja is on the front page of Twitch and his description says he plays for TL. When Royal 2 was on the front page the other day, it said he plays for CLG.  :thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm just surprised they thought they were going to make a killing, wiki's are awesome but it's a very niche kind of thing. You will probably spend a few minutes on it to get info and be on your way. Did they not notice that Wikipedia is always asking for money for a reason?

Either way, I didn't always agree with @@ahawowow - but him and the rest of the staff always did a kick ass job. A big lost for esports all over.

I'd honestly not be surprised if this was their plan from the very beginning anyway. Take on the the whole staff from Esportspedia to build the site and an audience at a higher cost, and then dump the cost that comes with the staff and hope the quality doesn't drop off exponentially with volunteers. The fact they didn't make any money is just a nice excuse.

In the same context, LG went through a honeymoon phase when current roster was formed(with VicX). Everyone was on the LG hypetrain.

While I'm not a fan of Cratos, you keep bringing up players' k/d as if that is what makes the player good or not. It isn't the only thing. Wanna know what they call the player on the winning team with the lowest k/d? A winner. Especially in a game with objective game types. 

I also pay attention to Dmg Dealt and total kills and deaths in comparison to their teammates. Cratos was consistently at the bottom. People like to dismiss stats but I am a firm believer that stats tell you alot about a player. This applies especially to Halo 5 since we have things like damage dealt which helps a lot. 

Just from the start of the season all the team changes involved swapping a player with a lower k/d for a higher k/d. 

Falcated - Renegade

Naded - Tapping Buttons

Cratos - El Town

All teams above have shown improvement since making the changes even after the honey moon phase for the first two.

To add to the point I believe OBJ players in Halo 5 are overrated. You need slayers who can play the obj to be successful. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I also pay attention to Dmg Dealt and total kills and deaths in comparison to their teammates. Cratos was consistently at the bottom. People like to dismiss stats but I am a firm believer that stats tell you alot about a player. This applies especially to Halo 5 since we have things like damage dealt which helps a lot.

el town usually has poor stats compared to his teammates, yet they vastly improved picking him up.

So two roster change periods a week apart is nothing more than an ESL sponsored loophole for teams to make 2 changes, right?

I mean seriously, what benefit is there to this system?

• Upvote (+1) 1

el town usually has poor stats compared to his teammates, yet they vastly improved picking him up.

Cratos is really bad. El towns k/d usually is in the .90s while Cratos hovered around .70 Literally any AM would have made Ronin better. IMO El town while a good pickup wouldn't have been my first choice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

TB should try and acquire the Halo wiki. That would be awesome partnership tbh.

Also Ronin beat OG. This new Ronin lineup is very interesting.

If it were just the Halo wiki, I could see this happening, but EsportsWikis' main project is the League of Legends Wiki, and River had a respectable salary for it.  They've also got a CoD and Smite wiki if I'm not mistaken?

Wikis = very good

I don't trust that 5k revenue number at all given the amount of traffic Esportswikis has.

@@slyfox (pasting a quote in here isn't working so just tagging you) -- eL ToWn was exactly the type of player Ronin needed to fit in with that roster.  He was a good pick-up.

• Upvote (+1) 1