CyReN

HCS Pro League Summer 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Explain what this does, and can it work with extension cords?

They don't recommend using extension cords, but it isn't that bad from my experience. Worth a try either way.

It sends your Ethernet signal, through the electrical wires in your house.

I'm not sure whether or not it works with extension cords, but , electrically, I don't see why it wouldn't.

I'm not sure whether or not it works with extension cords, but , electrically, I don't see why it wouldn't

powerline adapters are literally magic, and should indeed work with extension cords

Worth mentioning that if you have a good standalone router with triband/5Ghz wireless and decent clearance, I'd still go that route. Wifi sort of has a bad stigma around it but in recent years it's gotten really good (I get 150down/15 up consistently.) Powerline adapters depend on the wiring in your house, it's not really the same as "regular" Ethernet.

tplinkamz_TL-PA211-7.jpgtplinkamz_TL-PA211-8.jpg

Pretty self-explanatory.

I wonder how much latency/packet loss this thing adds

Used to use these nearly 10 years ago in high school when living at home. Router was on our 2nd floor in my dad's office and my gaming lair was in the basement. My mom hated my 100ft Ethernet cord running through two stories so she bought the wall adapters for me. I saw virtually no difference in connection speeds and overall in-game consistency.

TL;DR - Used to use these. I approve.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Worth mentioning that if you have a good standalone router with triband/5Ghz wireless and decent clearance, I'd still go that route. Wifi sort of has a bad stigma around it but in recent years it's gotten really good (I get 150down/15 up consistently.) Powerline adapters depend on the wiring in your house, it's not really the same as "regular" Ethernet.

In either case. mileage will very depending on how far your router is from the console or how good your home wiring is. But assuming good wiring, Powerline typically wipes the floor with wireless..

It's as close to direct Ethernet as you'll get W/o having a direct Ethernet connection.

Unfortunately for me, even a great router can't compete with the 50 or so other wifi signals clogging up the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

eyyy thanks, i'll see if this can help

Just trying to spread the gospel on one of the most useful (and affordable) technologies I've seen. It'll be night and day my dude, it crushes my wifi.

I wonder how much latency/packet loss this thing adds

I'm sure it isn't as good as ethernet, but it's the next best thing.

I'm not sure whether or not it works with extension cords, but , electrically, I don't see why it wouldn't.

I champion these Powerline Adapters to literally whoever will listen. They're the fucking shit.

Get a decent one, like an $80 Netgear adapter.

Also, don't use an extension cord if you can help it. Anything that weakens the electrical signal will make it perform worse.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know why no one's made an API to track playlist population. I haven't looked into it too much. But seems like a pretty straight forward process of fetching game data for each match from the API and tallying up the number of unique gamer tags. 

I looked at it awhile back and from what I remember there was no way to get a list of matches (other than by getting a list for a gamertag). Even if you wanted to waste your time trying to get every match 1 by 1 its impossible because the match id's are guids.

I guess you could try starting with 1 person and then from there check everyone they have ever played with, etc. Not worth it though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Re: Extension cords might be fine, as will some power strips, but it's possible that fancier surge protectors with interference protection will filter out the internet signal. And like someone else mentioned, it depends heavily on the wiring in your home.

Re: tracking everyone who plays Halo. Virtually impossible, in my mind. I don't believe there's a way to get any arbitrary match ID. I'm pretty sure the only way to get match IDs is by specifically searching for gamertags. So unless you know the gamertags of everyone who might play Halo, and then check to see each one to see if they're playing, I don't believe it'd be possible.

You know, except for the fact that you can just switch to basically any competently made, modern game and get better performance, even on wi-fi and P2P. And blank shots are piss easy to verify on a system where you can record video clips at will. They literally happen constantly. And a lot of the "blanks" are straight up center mass body shots that don't do damage. Seems like a stretch to say you missed when you get 5 or 6 hit markers, their shields don't pop, and then you die to a perfect (a medal that would be a lot more satisfying in a better game). And it's made even worse by the shots that randomly connect that are CLEAR misses. Like when you get a "perfect" kill in a fight where you missed a shot half way through, but the game didn't notice. 1v1s are a joke in H5, but people really want to believe that gun skill and a good strafe really matter that much. It's easy to tell what should have hit, because H5 when it's working properly is generous as hell.

Then do it. Use the magic clip machine.  I am an evidence based person.  Do I doubt that this kind of shit is happening? Of course not, that would be stupid.  

Do i doubt the severity and consistency of these issues? Yes i do.  Bullshit happens to me in the game too, but not any worse (recently) than any other game i have played that relies on the grand ol' interwebs. 

That doesn't mean anything of course, just because something lies outside my realm of experience certainly doesn't mean it's not true.  But the people who are claiming that its so much worse than every other game out there need to show evidence of this.  1) to convince people its true 2) to demonstrate the use case under which the shit was happening to help identify the problem.  If its local, the community can help solve it.  If it's verifiably not, then spam 343 with it.

I don't know if this is an option, but a lot of people don't know that this technology exists, and it works wonders:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA2010KIT/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496771427&sr=8-2&keywords=power+ethernet+adapter

Basically ethernet through your power grid.

Yep I use this. On wireless I get like 15 down 5 up but with this I get 60 down and 20ish up. Would definitely recommend. 

They may have fixed heavy aim, though I still do feel it at times, but the servers have gotten even worse. Blanks are at an all time high it feels like. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't know if this is an option, but a lot of people don't know that this technology exists, and it works wonders:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA2010KIT/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496771427&sr=8-2&keywords=power+ethernet+adapter

Basically ethernet through your power grid.

Holy shit! This is a game changer for me if it works the way I think it does. I've been stringing an Ethernet cable across my living room every time I want to play so I can keep off the wifi.

Just to be sure, I plug my router into one of these and my house's electric lines will carry the Ethernet signal?

Holy shit! This is a game changer for me if it works the way I think it does. I've been stringing an Ethernet cable across my living room every time I want to play so I can keep off the wifi.

Just to be sure, I plug my router into one of these and my house's electric lines will carry the Ethernet signal?

Probably if the power outlets using are in the same circuit/breaker .

Right.  It should work provided you dont have knob-&-tube and Fuses.  They should be reliable but DO NOT expect to get the rated speeds that it says on the box.  Buy a version that can theoretically transfer data much faster than your internet is.  They test those things in very clean theoretical scenarios which your house is undoubtedly not.

Edit: Said, circuit breakers, meant fuses.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So the only player from 2Gre's daycare not on a pro team is Articc, right?

Shotzzy - Splyce

Saiyan - LG

TB - EG

Yeah, I don't like to overrate 2gre's Halo intelligence but it was pretty impressive how he was able to see that in those players when no one else did.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Yeah, I don't like to overrate 2gre's Halo intelligence but it was pretty impressive how he was able to see that in those players when no one else did.

Though I think 2gre is a smart player, it also had more to do with the age restrictions (and in TB's case, location) 2gre isn't some factory for talent, though it is cool to see all of them have success after the Daycare.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Though I think 2gre is a smart player, it also had more to do with the age restrictions (and in TB's case, location) 2gre isn't some factory for talent, though it is cool to see all of them have success after the Daycare.

True as far as Shotzzy goes, 2gre was really just lucky enough to be the first one to grab him. But it was on the Daycare that Shotzzy proved definitively that he's legit. I think it was only a day after Daycare w/Shotzzy beat Splyce in a scrim that Splyce picked him up. They may have been considering it previously due to Falcated's friendship with him, but his performance on Daycare was what made them make their decision.

• Upvote (+1) 1